Game 14: GMU (11-2 / 0-0) at La Salle (9-4 / 0-0) on Wednesday, January 3, at 6:30 PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t think it’s “wooo we beat lasalle” it’s more the manner.

The fact that mason was nearly ran out of the gym in half one and then locked in and blew them out was something special.

Yeah lasalle isn’t great. But a road game in conference is never easy. We won in convincing fashion and not a buzzer beater fluke or anything. :)

Case in point: URI beat St Joes and UMass beat Duquesne tonight. Take no game for granted in this league

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s amazing what happens when you have all 5 players going together doing what they are best at. I know it’s probably still a hard concept for some, especially after watching the last 10 years of Mason hoops.

amazing what having a coach does! Also amazing what having the players to play said way after half time adjustments does…..
You mean we played without a coach all these years? :ROFLMAO:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Postgame presser from Coach Skinn?
Probably as close as you're gonna get:

"We didn't have the toughness we needed in the first 20 minutes," head coach Tony Skinn ('06) said. "Our guys talked at halftime and over those first few second half possessions, they really set the tone. Once they smelled it, they just got better possession after possession. From a defensive effort, those first few minutes really fueled us and gave us the cushion we needed to win the game."

Although there is this from losing Coach Dunphy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V20JXCfQR4g

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Probably as close as you're gonna get:

"We didn't have the toughness we needed in the first 20 minutes," head coach Tony Skinn ('06) said. "Our guys talked at halftime and over those first few second half possessions, they really set the tone. Once they smelled it, they just got better possession after possession. From a defensive effort, those first few minutes really fueled us and gave us the cushion we needed to win the game."

Although there is this from losing Coach Dunphy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V20JXCfQR4g
Credit to Dunphy. He didn't crap on his own players and was classy in giving us our due.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
UMass might be pretty good this year, do not underestimate
Agreed. Kenpom has Mason #91 UMass #97, vcu #99 behind Dayton, Bonaventure, and St. Joes.
And Matt Cross is #2 All Conference player behind Holmes and just ahead of #3 Keyshawn.

Big test for them as they play at Dayton on Saturday as 10 pt underdogs.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There is something unique about Hall’s game. It’s like watching Jokic. Sometimes, it seems like the shots are sloppy and lucky, but it can’t be luck if it happens every night.
Exactly, the kid is special. I’ve watched parts of the LaSalle game again and am impressed with how he can thread through the defenders in the paint. He’s the Mikaela Shiffrin of the hardwood.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Exactly, the kid is special. I’ve watched parts of the LaSalle game again and am impressed with how he can thread through the defenders in the paint. He’s the Mikaela Shiffrin of the hardwood.
I don't think we've had a scorer this multidimensional since Ryan Pearson. Difference is Key seems to stay upright, but some of his moves still boggle the mind. I've watched that one move he put on Jocius a few times and I still don't understand how he got the ball up, let alone into the basket.

He does get a little sloppy with the turnovers, but when you look what he's contributing offensively you can't get too mad at the guy. Dude poured in 27 with 5 TOs...even if La Salle capitalized on all 5 of them he's still beaten that hypothetical by over 10 points. In the moment you tend to get picky about his game simply because when he gets the ball in his hands your hopes go sky high that he's gonna score. Usually he does.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
And he defends, rebounds, and blocks shots while playing 30+ minutes.

Dude is a beast

His weight loss in the off season is probably the biggest factor here. I used to play weekly pickup games in my younger days and wound up losing about 60lbs during that time. Was like night and day for my game, and by D1 basketball standards I was still horribly out of shape. Key's done all the right things to get to where he is...I'll bet playing with his current physique feels like driving a sports car based on how he was used to playing.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wonder why I got a "are you sure you want to thumbs up (or something to that effect)" here.