Game 13: GMU (7-5) at #24 Wisconsin on Thursday , December 23, at 7PM. CANCELED.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Speak for yourself! I love talking the FF run. It helps the excitement of talking about it, though, if you lived through it and attended the games.

Particularly fun were the moments when you had to beg you wife to let you go to the next round because you said "there's no way we beat both MSU and UNC." Then have to rinse and repeat the following weekend because you made the same statement, with even more emphasis, regarding Wichita St. and UConn. Fun times.
I will NEVER get tired of talking about the FF. Although, yes, it would be nice to have something more recent than '06 or '11 to get excited about.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Speak for yourself! I love talking the FF run. It helps the excitement of talking about it, though, if you lived through it and attended the games.

Particularly fun were the moments when you had to beg you wife to let you go to the next round because you said "there's no way we beat both MSU and UNC." Then have to rinse and repeat the following weekend because you made the same statement, with even more emphasis, regarding Wichita St. and UConn. Fun times.

Hey don't get me wrong, those 4 weeks my junior year of college were by far the best 4 weeks of college if not my entire life (Sports wise).

I just would rather people/announcers/us have something else to talk about that is well known (or relatively well known) in addition to that. Just my personal preference. :)

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ha. No on the W&M - our board was just making lame and tired old jokes about playing schools with a person's name.

But, I'd agree that the pre-game signal to noise ratio is better here. If you venture back for the post-game post-mortem threads (not the game thread - I think that's a disaster on most every board), you'll be more impressed. I'm involved with one that's labeled "box score observations" that dissects the stats.
Yeah, I get the fun with names thing, and sports boards are filled with jabs like that. Gotta admit though, it did get me fired up over the disrespect. We'll probably lose to you guys, but now a win would make it that much sweeter, by George.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"Enter George Mason coach Kim English, who was eager to play the Badgers after his team’s game against Coppin State was canceled. English called VandeWettering, direct messaged him on Twitter and even texted assistant coach Sharif Chambliss on Tuesday trying to make it happen.

"The Patriots played American University on Tuesday, but English promised he’d check his phone at halftime just in case UW decided to go with George Mason for Thursday.

'He texted Sharif back — he and Sharif are good friends — he texted him at halftime saying "Thanks so much,’” VandeWettering said. 'So they were sending the contract back during the game (Tuesday) night. Their [operations] director is a UW grad as well, so I know him pretty well. He was getting all the details, things that they needed prior to their arrival (Wednesday). So hectic 36 hours, but I’m just glad we could get somebody in to play.'”
Good info but a terrible writer...

formerlybis

Four-star Recruit
Good info but a terrible writer...
Yeah, there are a lot of complaints about her - she's new. Generally, the better beat writer is Jeff Potrykus at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (link). It's the same information, really, but it also added the tidbit about all of UW's roster being available, which is welcome news.

One other bit of info that I suspect will be brought up in the broadcast - the backup C Chris Vogt's hometown is Mayfield, KY which got hit hard by the tornados a couple weeks ago. He set up a gofundme and helped deliver a bunch of supplies during the last couple of weeks. As the story goes, he reached out to JJ Watt for advice on how to do this (you probably know this, but JJ is a UW alum who raised millions for flood relief in Houston). Here's that story

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Damn, line up to 11.5, no faith in the Pats.

Really as long as we avoid foul trouble should be able to keep it fairly close. Not like we have to use a ton of bench vs. their deliberate style of play.
I really don’t see this being a blowout. Anywhere from 6-10 seems reasonable. Their style doesn’t generally allow them to blow teams out.