Game 13: GMU (7-5) at #24 Wisconsin on Thursday , December 23, at 7PM. CANCELED.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Oh, it's fairly exciting for us, too, I think. Well, I can only really speak for myself, but I rather play someone of GMU's caliber than these sub-200 teams that dot the schedule every year around this time. Unlike a couple of our B1G brethren - cough, cough, Iowa, cough, cough - UW does tend to schedule a reasonably competitive slate of opponents in the non-con portion of the season every year, but this time of year is usually tune-ups. We have Purdue at Mackey in 11 days, so things are going to escalate quickly.

Your schedule looks good and you have performed well.

In this game I would be looking to see how our defense adjusts to your strengths particularly in the post. You have a size advantage there and Coach English's approach to that will be interesting.

Looking forward to a hard fought game and its awesome we were able to get this scheduled so quick.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
kenpom: Wisconsin favored by 8
sagarin: Wisconsin by 10

As yet, no line from vegasinsider; both teams are 7-4 against the spread.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"The most common guarantee is a $90,000 guarantee. Seventy-three of the buy games examined, or roughly 12 percent, had a $90,000 check attached to them.

cleardot.gif
But there were 41 games in which the buy game visitor, or recipient, received a six-figure payout. We obtained game contracts in which Boston College, Creighton, Gonzaga, Grand Canyon, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Missouri, NC State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Utah State, vcu, Washington and West Virginia each agreed to pay at least one opponent a six-figure guarantee.

It may come as a surprise to some that coaches and directors of basketball operations who are looking to build their program’s non-conference schedule can potentially receive the same guarantee from Grand Canyon, Utah State and vcu that they could from Indiana, Kentucky or North Carolina.
Speaking of a big payout... I paid for a home game (Coppin St.) with my season tix. I hope I get reimbursed or credited for one OOC home game. Also, I will be unable to watch Wisc game on B1G Network... drag.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Speaking of a big payout... I paid for a home game (Coppin St.) with my season tix. I hope I get reimbursed or credited for one OOC home game. Also, I will be unable to watch Wisc game on B1G Network... drag.
I’m sure they will take care of you Uncle Scrooge. Shame the student section couldn’t sing your Christmas themed mason songs. They are missing out truly

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Check your email. I would think that each season ticket holder would have received an email indicating the options:

Mason’s previous scheduled home game vs. Coppin State slated for Thursday had been previously canceled due to COVID-19 protocols within the Eagles’ program. As a ticket holder for that game, you now have the following options regarding your tickets:

Option 1: Donate the cost of the tickets back to the Patriot Club. The donation will go to the Friends of Men's Basketball Fund and continue to support the team throughout the season!

Option 2: Exchange the tickets for a game later in the season. As we get set to kick off conference play, we will have key matchups versus Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Richmond, vcu, and GW that we can exchange your tickets for too!

Option 3: An account credit that can be used for any George Mason Athletic ticketed event during the 2021-22 seasons

Option 4: A refund for the cost of the tickets will be provided back to the card that was used for purchase

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol are you seriously going to ask for a refund instead of donating the small amount to the patriot club? I hope they give you a cold McDouble at the next gold room for your generosity.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Thank you @psyclone, I saw the e-mail moments after my post above. Now that I know my options I will respond how I see fit.

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Any guess on how much UW paid us to play them?
I heard that it wasn't as much as one would normally get, that it is about enough to cover our travel expenses. I don't have a number, but, I'm gonna guess around $40k, give or take.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Surprised we got this game on short notice. Want a win badly, but think we lose by single digits.

A win would be HUGE

formerlybis

Four-star Recruit
Any recommendations for restaurants near Kohl Center?
I'm not the best one to ask - I live in MN and Madison is ever-changing. However, there are two old standbys. Nitty Gritty is nearby, which is a sit-down burger joint that was founded by a local TV sports anchor in the 70s. Another legendary pre-game sports bar a couple of blocks away is State Street Brats. Once you get to State St., there's dozens of options - State St. is 8 blocks long with campus on one end and the state Capitol on the other. As you get closer to the Capitol, there will be fancier options.

I'm impressed you're going with the short notice...

formerlybis

Four-star Recruit
just checked it out. It was not nearly as well done as this one. the only thing I learned is that our old CAA foes W & M were also under consideration. Our FF and win over UMd was also mentioned.
Ha. No on the W&M - our board was just making lame and tired old jokes about playing schools with a person's name.

But, I'd agree that the pre-game signal to noise ratio is better here. If you venture back for the post-game post-mortem threads (not the game thread - I think that's a disaster on most every board), you'll be more impressed. I'm involved with one that's labeled "box score observations" that dissects the stats.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ha. No on the W&M - our board was just making lame and tired old jokes about playing schools with a person's name.

But, I'd agree that the pre-game signal to noise ratio is better here. If you venture back for the post-game post-mortem threads (not the game thread - I think that's a disaster on most every board), you'll be more impressed. I'm involved with one that's labeled "box score observations" that dissects the stats.

Welcome to the boards and appreciate the insight. You pretty much hit the nail on the head and once you see the outcome either its a celebration here or the world is ending. Guilty as charged.

Should be a fun match up tonight. Mason has shown glimpses of being a really good team this year, but also had a 5 game losing streak as well. It has been expected with a new coach and half a new team but we're all pretty excited for what Coach English can bring to Mason over the next few years. He already has us excited because he has knocked off two power 5s and improved the scheduling a lot in just year 1, in addition to the recruiting improvements. We're all tired of talking about the FF run in 2006 (we all love it but its so long ago already), and would much rather have a more recent run to refer back to since 2011 is already 10 years ago as well and isn't remembered half as much.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We're all tired of talking about the FF run in 2006 (we all love it but its so long ago already), and would much rather have a more recent run to refer back to since 2011 is already 10 years ago as well and isn't remembered half as much.

Speak for yourself! I love talking the FF run. It helps the excitement of talking about it, though, if you lived through it and attended the games.

Particularly fun were the moments when you had to beg you wife to let you go to the next round because you said "there's no way we beat both MSU and UNC." Then have to rinse and repeat the following weekend because you made the same statement, with even more emphasis, regarding Wichita St. and UConn. Fun times.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Enter George Mason coach Kim English, who was eager to play the Badgers after his team’s game against Coppin State was canceled. English called VandeWettering, direct messaged him on Twitter and even texted assistant coach Sharif Chambliss on Tuesday trying to make it happen.

"The Patriots played American University on Tuesday, but English promised he’d check his phone at halftime just in case UW decided to go with George Mason for Thursday.

'He texted Sharif back — he and Sharif are good friends — he texted him at halftime saying "Thanks so much,’” VandeWettering said. 'So they were sending the contract back during the game (Tuesday) night. Their [operations] director is a UW grad as well, so I know him pretty well. He was getting all the details, things that they needed prior to their arrival (Wednesday). So hectic 36 hours, but I’m just glad we could get somebody in to play.'”