Coaching Carousel 2023

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
First calls have to be Tony Skinn and Jason Williford

Next calls have to be guys like a Christian Webster or Brandin Knight. Trying to think DC area ties, up and comer recruiter.

Then the next tier are guys like Langel, Becker, Skerry etc. But I really don't want to go that far that list.

The first call and full vetting of Tony Skinn needs to begin pronto. No search firm, no 3 month study on who to hire, just vet someone who could sell our program to recruits and lets go.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
First calls have to be Tony Skinn and Jason Williford

Next calls have to be guys like a Christian Webster or Brandin Knight. Trying to think DC area ties, up and comer recruiter.

Then the next tier are guys like Langel, Becker, Skerry etc. But I really don't want to go that far that list.

The first call and full vetting of Tony Skinn needs to begin pronto. No search firm, no 3 month study on who to hire, just vet someone who could sell our program to recruits and lets go.
I'd love to get Langel - that guy can coach. Not sure GMU would have a shot.

KAOriginal

All-American
Want a sharp stick the eye after getting kicked in the nuts by KE leaving?

The more we clamor for fast action, Tony Skinn, etc.....THE MORE MASOÑ WILL DRAG THIS OUT.

Again, I don't know who this cabal is inside the University (we have had different Presidents, different ADs..yet do the same dumb shit) but they seem to relish in doing the complete opposite of what obviously needs to be done.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The more I think about it, it's gotta be Skinn for me. No matter what we do, it doesn't work. It's depressing as hell being a Mason sports fan. At least Tony brings some excitement to us old heads and connects back to the only time in our history that we were relevant.

masonhoops1984

Role Player

The more we clamor for fast action, Tony Skinn, etc.....THE MORE MASOÑ WILL DRAG THIS OUT.

Again, I don't know who this cabal is inside the University (we have had different Presidents, different ADs..yet do the same dumb shit) but they seem to relish in doing the complete opposite of what obviously needs to be done.
Wouldn’t shock me if Tony takes another job before mason even calls. The only bonus is that he makes 475k so it can’t be just anyone.

Bricker

Starter
Things to do:

1. Don't hire anyone for weeks.
2. Watch entire team go into portal
3. Fail to get Tony for (insert reason)
4. Change mascot to a ficus, 'cause Mason's bush league

I really wanted to believe something was changing at Mason when they actually went at got someone like Kim. Oh well.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The more I think about it, it's gotta be Skinn for me. No matter what we do, it doesn't work. It's depressing as hell being a Mason sports fan. At least Tony brings some excitement to us old heads and connects back to the only time in our history that we were relevant.
Yes, and he cares. If he's successful, who knows, he might even stay. And even if he is successful and leaves, I think we all cheer him on.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

Anyone know who consistently is dropping the ball behind the scenes/doesn’t seem to truly care? Everyone on the BOV hates sports?

They have all the evidence in the world from the Final Four run on how much a successful basketball program can benefit the school. We’ve now gone thru multiple administrations and there’s the same “set and forget it” attitude when it comes to the program. It doesn’t make any sense.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
This. I donated more to the program in the last two years than I did the last ten.

Not very happy to hear the story that they sat on their asses and have accepted the status quo (from multiple places now.)
Same. What can we all do about it? We have to try something, make our voices heard, etc. If we don’t then the status quo will soon kill off what’s remaining of our program and fan base.

Dawgs99

Starter
If some how we don't find a way to hire CTS, I will be over this program once and for all. I've been going to games for over 30 years and to be honest have been thinking about not renewing my season tix....if we F this coaching search that will be the final straw. Lets get this right and bring our boy home!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m in the Tony Skinn boat as well. Technically we didn’t F up the last hire, so what I want and really need to hear from someone at Mason is how they’re planning to truly commit to building and sustaining a winning program so Tony or whoever the next coach is doesn’t feel like he’s working for a circus.

- What’s the plan to allocate more resources for training, nutrition, travel/recruiting?
- What’s the roadmap look like for improved/new facilities?
- How will the admin commit to being more proactive and forward thinking?
- How will the admin commit to improved communication with donors/the fan base?

I want tangible plans, not fluffy statements in a press conference. I don’t have pull on my own, but if enough of us ask/put the pressure on people will talk.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If some how we don't find a way to hire CTS, I will be over this program once and for all. I've been going to games for over 30 years and to be honest have been thinking about not renewing my season tix....if we F this coaching search that will be the final straw. Lets get this right and bring our boy home!
I did this after the larranaga debacle and was considering donating again given what seemed like a sustained positive movement in the program and now this…disappointed.