Coaching Carousel 2023

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Screenshot_20230331-184508_Twitter.jpg

Harrie

Recruit
Ryan Odom is not from the Shaka/Wade/Roades coaching tree. Does that mean no more full court pressure? That would be good. Instead, he is the son of Dave Odom, former Terry Holland assistant at UVa and HC at Wake Forest. It's been many years but I think WF played at a slower pace. That would be a big adjustment for Ram Nation.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
Ryan Odom is not from the Shaka/Wade/Roades coaching tree. Does that mean no more full court pressure? That would be good. Instead, he is the son of Dave Odom, former Terry Holland assistant at UVa and HC at Wake Forest. It's been many years but I think WF played at a slower pace. That would be a big adjustment for Ram Nation.
That’s not how this Odom coaches.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Crawl on ESPN indicates that AU has hired Simpkins. Congrats to him!
With Simpkins gone to AU, it'll be important for Tony to hire an assistant familiar with the A10. In the 980 interview, he admitted that his focus had been on the Big 10 while at UMD and also saw a smattering of the A10--mostly GW because of his past connections to Caputo.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
With Simpkins gone to AU, it'll be important for Tony to hire an assistant familiar with the A10. In the 980 interview, he admitted that his focus had been on the Big 10 while at UMD and also saw a smattering of the A10--mostly GW because of his past connections to Caputo.
I know that is the truth, but PR savvy coach would have said he watched Mason games because of his love for his alma mater.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know that is the truth, but PR savvy coach would have said he watched Mason games because of his love for his alma mater.
I interpreted it differently. It felt as if it was more about watching the competition in the A10, and the only competition he watched was GW. Watching Main could have been considered implied.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I interpreted it differently. It felt as if it was more about watching the competition in the A10, and the only competition he watched was GW. Watching Main could have been considered implied.

I interpreted it as “I spent the majority of my time trying to figure out how my team can win the next game,” which yes that’s what I want my coach to do.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
So Simpkins went from high school coach to assistant coach at Mason.

If Lamar was head coach at PVI, would he be qualified to a college assistant? Is it that he isn’t even the HC at a high school that is the concern?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

If Lamar was head coach at PVI, would he be qualified to a college assistant? Is it that he isn’t even the HC at a high school that is the concern?
Simp was an assistant at UNC-Greensboro before coming to Mason, but yes I do believe he made the jump directly from HS to Division I.

I think the concern may be that Tony is a fairly young first-time HC himself, but whether Lamar is the No. 3 assistant or not, I’m sure the guy in the No. 1 assistant spot will have significant college coaching experience.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Personally, i think the 3rd Asst role is appropriate IF his main focus is on recruiting high school talent while learning scouting, evaluating the talent in the transfer portal vs team needs, and then coaching duties.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Personally, i think the 3rd Asst role is appropriate IF his main focus is on recruiting high school talent while learning scouting, evaluating the talent in the transfer portal vs team needs, and then coaching duties.

Keep in mind he’s an assistant at both PVI and Team Takeover. If there’s anyone more connected than Skinn in the DMV it’s Lamar Butler.

But it could be that Skinn is looking to assemble a staff who don’t need to learn the ropes and can hit the ground running. At this point he’s got a minimum of 7 scholarships to fill between now and the summer.

Masonfan3

Starter
Simp was an assistant at UNC-Greensboro before coming to Mason, but yes I do believe he made the jump directly from HS to Division I.

I think the concern may be that Tony is a fairly young first-time HC himself, but whether Lamar is the No. 3 assistant or not, I’m sure the guy in the No. 1 assistant spot will have significant college coaching experience.
I believe Simp was DOBO or something like that at Towson before going to UNCG.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I personally don't think it matters much that Lamar doesn't have any college coaching experience. He's been around the game 3/4 of his life, knows our ways, knows the DMV, is one of the best pure shooters in GMU history, and most importantly is a guy Tony is good friends with and respects and will give him the chance if he wants it.

Always good to be surrounded by familiar faces for a first time coach as he looks forward to his head coaching journey. I think its more to do with having guys around him who know the game and is a friend who can help counsel him when and where needed. The icing on the cake is Lamar is well connected around the DMV area and relates to young players very well. Totally worth giving him a shot at his alma mater of all places.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I personally don't think it matters much that Lamar doesn't have any college coaching experience. He's been around the game 3/4 of his life, knows our ways, knows the DMV, is one of the best pure shooters in GMU history, and most importantly is a guy Tony is good friends with and respects and will give him the chance if he wants it.

Always good to be surrounded by familiar faces for a first time coach as he looks forward to his head coaching journey. I think its more to do with having guys around him who know the game and is a friend who can help counsel him when and where needed. The icing on the cake is Lamar is well connected around the DMV area and relates to young players very well. Totally worth giving him a shot at his alma mater of all places.
i also like the idea of a Phil Martellli type as the 1st assistant - significant previous HC experience to serve as a real time mentor

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
i also like the idea of a Phil Martellli type as the 1st assistant - significant previous HB experience to serve as a real time mentor
Phil Martelli is the first assistant at Michigan and probably makes more than what we’ll pay all of our assistants combined, he’s not coming back to the A10 as an assistant unless it’s to go take a dump on the St Joes scorers table in the middle of a game in a retirement tour as retribution for how dirty he was done there.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
he’s not coming back to the A10 as an assistant unless it’s to go take a dump on the St Joes scorers table in the middle of a game in a retirement tour as retribution for how dirty he was done there.

That would be so corny of him.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Phil Martelli is the first assistant at Michigan and probably makes more than what we’ll pay all of our assistants combined, he’s not coming back to the A10 as an assistant unless it’s to go take a dump on the St Joes scorers table in the middle of a game in a retirement tour as retribution for how dirty he was done there.
Yep. And what did SJU get in return for kicking Martelli to the curb? Billy Lange, who now holds the ignominious distinction of being the ONLY coach in Saint Joe's history to lead his team to 4 straight losing seasons.