Coaching Carousel 2023

Herndon

All-Conference
Not to be overly contrarian, but I really don't like hiring the coach before the AD.
If I'm a coach, I want to know that I have the unmitigated support of my boss coming into a job, and if he didn't hire me, I'm always going to worry that the guy they hire will be like "...I mean, he's alright...not who I would have hired, but I guess it'll work".

That's not being set up for success. Like, personal relationships matter A LOT in making a successful work environment.

I'm a big believer in process and fundamentals, and I hope Mason follows good process, at the expense of expediency.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to be overly contrarian, but I really don't like hiring the coach before the AD.
If I'm a coach, I want to know that I have the unmitigated support of my boss coming into a job, and if he didn't hire me, I'm always going to worry that the guy they hire will be like "...I mean, he's alright...not who I would have hired, but I guess it'll work".

That's not being set up for success. Like, personal relationships matter A LOT in making a successful work environment.

I'm a big believer in process and fundamentals, and I hope Mason follows good process, at the expense of expediency.
It’s such outdated thinking to suggest that the AD is the boss of the coach of the university’s lone revenue sport.

While the org chart will have the AD at the top, the new coach will be the highest-paid employee and public face of not only Mason Basketball, but George Mason University.

As happens at every university that is serious about being successful in athletics, the AD works alongside the football/basketball coaches and is expected to provide what they need to be successful.

If an AD candidate isn’t willing to embrace our coach as “his/her guy,” they shouldn’t be hired.

KAOriginal

All-American
Since the admin has farted around with the AD hire, many candidates likely will be hesitant to accept the job. Lucky for us, Tony might be the exception to that.

Lol...for all we know Tony has watched Mason foul up 2x now....he may love Mason...but does he want the headaches as a professional looking out for his future....

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My prediction, based on nothing, is that Dennis Felton will be named "acting" head coach for next year while the search for an AD and coach takes place. Pure speculation on a possible solution. This should fire up more controversy and debate! ;)

KAOriginal

All-American
My prediction, based on nothing, is that Dennis Felton will be named "acting" head coach for next year while the search for an AD and coach takes place. Pure speculation on a possible solution. This should fire up more controversy and debate! ;)
Whoever isn't going to Providence please raise your hand.

Great! You're the interim coach till April 2024.

In the meantime, let's see if we can get an AD by the end of the year.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol...for all we know Tony has watched Mason foul up 2x now....he may love Mason...but does he want the headaches as a professional looking out for his future....

Well the last guy accomplished very little and is now in the Big East, and the guy before him was even more middling and he at least is still coaching (and might take back over his old school), and the guy before THAT was terrible and is currently coaching in the G League, so why not?

Herndon

All-Conference
ideally, yes that is how it would play out but if we wait another week or two to hire an AD and then they wait another week or two to hire a coach how many of our top coaching and transfer targets will be out of the picture already? There is no clear path forward.
I do hear that, FOR SURE. Like, it's not ideal, no two ways about it.
That said, if I'm FORCED to choose between the two, I'd rather have alignment than the IDEAL coach who is misaligned.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm pretty sure this will be the case.
It gives us the chance to keep some kids for a year. He may have been largely responsible for the four incoming frosh. Maybe they honor their commitment if Dennis stays. Might minimize the damage. If he kills it then he can be the hire. If not, move ahead.

Herndon

All-Conference
It’s such outdated thinking to suggest that the AD is the boss of the coach of the university’s lone revenue sport.

While the org chart will have the AD at the top, the new coach will be the highest-paid employee and public face of not only Mason Basketball, but George Mason University.

As happens at every university that is serious about being successful in athletics, the AD works alongside the football/basketball coaches and is expected to provide what they need to be successful.

If an AD candidate isn’t willing to embrace our coach as “his/her guy,” they shouldn’t be hired.
the thing is...we're not serious about being successful in athletics.

KAOriginal

All-American
Well the last guy accomplished very little and is now in the Big East, and the guy before him was even more middling and he at least is still coaching (and might take back over his old school), and the guy before THAT was terrible and is currently coaching in the G League, so why not?
Excellent point for all of us to digest.

You don't come to Mason to make something great, you come to set yourself up for better later.

Once we all embrace that, we will be less angry.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I do hear that, FOR SURE. Like, it's not ideal, no two ways about it.
That said, if I'm FORCED to choose between the two, I'd rather have alignment than the IDEAL coach who is misaligned.
I agree, getting the right coach is paramount. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to do that because our admin has dropped the ball on hiring an AD. I predict the interim AD will quickly be named as AD. WARNING Non-PC comment: While women ADs have not been all that successful, I believe in evaluating every candidate as an individual, not as part of a group. But, there must be some reason why they haven't elevated her to the role already.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I agree, getting the right coach is paramount. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to do that because our admin has dropped the ball on hiring an AD. I predict the interim AD will be quickly be named as AD. WARNING Non-PC comment: While women ADs have not been all that successful, I believe in evaluating every candidate as an individual, not as part of a group. But, there must be some reason why they haven't elevated her to the role already.
I'm remembering when she was appointed interim, she said she was not interested in being a candidate for AD.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm remembering when she was appointed interim, she said she was not interested in being a candidate for AD.
Even more reason then for the administration to have hired a permanent AD.

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On
How seriously is the university taking this situation right now? The decision makers should have sent word home to the spouse and said hey I'm going to be scarce these next few days and then everyone make a commitment that they aren't leaving the building until there is a plan of action in place. We are at a tipping point here that will determine the trajectory of not just basketball but seal the fate of the entire athletics department if we botch this thing.

He15man

Starter
I'm not sure why the AD is still a vacant position.... or has an "interim" person at the helm still... so I'm also not wild about that and hope it gets resolved soon. But just reading some of the comments here, we're not going to be waiting super long for CKE's replacement. Mason hasn't been siting on its hands the past few days.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not sure why the AD is still a vacant position.... or has an "interim" person at the helm still... so I'm also not wild about that and hope it gets resolved soon. But just reading some of the comments here, we're not going to be waiting super long for CKE's replacement. Mason hasn't been siting on its hands the past few days.
Hope not anyway. I'd love a coach TS announcement even before we expect it.