2024 Transfer Portal - Potential Incoming and General Discussion

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I feel like Howard can make a couple quick calls and get some substantial investments in NIL.

If they want the basketball team to succeed, it will.

They are an elite institution like the Ivy with tons of super rich and successful alumni. That doesn’t mean any of them care about sports enough to toss money at it though.

The Ivys should be cleaning most of the P5’s clocks with NIL considering their alumni network.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
They are an elite institution like the Ivy with tons of super rich and successful alumni. That doesn’t mean any of them care about sports enough to toss money at it though.

The Ivys should be cleaning most of the P5’s clocks with NIL considering their alumni network
Who knows, in the current NIL landscape, perhaps the Ivy League could take over. With paying players no longer considered cheating, maybe the Ivy League will step up.

Yale upset Auburn in the first round, and both Princeton and Cornell made it to the NIT.

I’m half joking, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see schools like Howard and Yale step up their competition in the current NIL landscape. It only takes one rich alumnus.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who knows, in the current NIL landscape, perhaps the Ivy League could take over. With paying players no longer considered cheating, maybe the Ivy League will step up.

Yale upset Auburn in the first round, and both Princeton and Cornell made it to the NIT.

I’m half joking, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see schools like Howard and Yale step up their competition in the current NIL landscape. It only takes one rich alumnus.

I doubt it
Look at
1) game attendance
2) OOC schedule
3) quality of conference play
4) number of best players transferring out
5) Ivy League rules - no grad transfers, in football no play past Thanksgiving, etc
6) Cost of attendance with no athletic scholarships
7) Academic admission standards

I doubt that the League would allow major NIL funding as they don't allow athletic scholarships

2 generations ago, as a freshman at Penn, Penn went to the Final Four
That will never happen again

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I doubt it
Look at
1) game attendance
2) OOC schedule
3) quality of conference play
4) number of best players transferring out
5) Ivy League rules - no grad transfers, in football no play past Thanksgiving, etc
6) Cost of attendance with no athletic scholarships
7) Academic admission standards

I doubt that the League would allow major NIL funding as they don't allow athletic scholarships

2 generations ago, as a freshman at Penn, Penn went to the Final Four
That will never happen again
All good points. But back to my first point, it’s certainly plausible that BO wants to play with his brother on a team that has been to the tournament in back to back years.

Howard has deep pockets. If they want to be successful they will be.
Most of the hurdles you just mentioned don’t apply to them.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All good points. But back to my first point, it’s certainly plausible that BO wants to play with his brother on a team that has been to the tournament in back to back years.

Howard has deep pockets. If they want to be successful they will be.
Most of the hurdles you just mentioned don’t apply to them.
my reference is to the statement about the Ivy League

IMO Howard is not as "rich" as you think
Howard (and Gallaudet) are line item funding in the USG budget

I have no idea what their athletic budget is,
but a look at their athletic offerings implies that it is not that of a major university

take a look at the Men's Basketball OOC schedule for them and other HBCUs
they spend a lot of the OOC schedule on the road playing P5 opponents for buy games paying $25k to $95K per game
these funds are used to support the Bball team but also other athletic teams
their KenPom rating - in good years - is between 200 and 250
that is not the ranking of a powerhouse team

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
my reference is to the statement about the Ivy League

IMO Howard is not as "rich" as you think
Howard (and Gallaudet) are line item funding in the USG budget

I have no idea what their athletic budget is,
but a look at their athletic offerings implies that it is not that of a major university

take a look at the Men's Basketball OOC schedule for them and other HBCUs
they spend a lot of the OOC schedule on the road playing P5 opponents for buy games paying $25k to $95K per game
these funds are used to support the Bball team but also other athletic teams
their KenPom rating - in good years - is between 200 and 250
that is not the ranking of a powerhouse team
I don’t want to derail the conversation about BO, but NIL provides a new landscape. Throw the operating budget out the window; it just takes one call to a wealthy owner now, which Howard is littered with famous rich alumni. Plus, their endowment is about 8 times larger than Mason’s.

Last edited:
OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t want to derail the conversation about BO, but NIL provides a new landscape. Throw the operating budget out the window; it just takes one call to a wealthy owner now, which Howard is littered with famous rich alumni. Plus, their endowment is about 8 times larger than Mason’s.
I am sure that if it is as easy as you suggest, all 363 Division 1 basketball programs would be doing it and all of them would be flush with millions of dollars in NIL money.

Howard is not swimming in NIL cash. I know this firsthand from multiple discussions with alumni the last few months. They lost a few from their really good team two years ago because they couldn't pay, and there was jealousy over the guys they did pay.

Standard bullshit in this era.

Maybe things have changed the last 2-3 months, but I doubt it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Isn't the ivy league's position not to do nil?

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Any word on 4 star Ben Hammond? He requested a release from his NLI and will reopen his recruitment.

Mason was in his final 5 before he committed to URI.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Due to graduation and the portal we lost 48.3 points and 22.0 rebonds per game from the roster last season. Due to the portal, as of 4/19/24, we have gained 46.8 points and 16.5 rebounds per game. So, on paper we've pretty much matched the lost production with a few more new guys to come.

The 23-24 roster shot a combined 218-637 (34.2%) from 3. The incoming and remaining players were a combined 161-462 (34.85%) which on paper also appears to be a wash, at least from the standpoint of percentages.

What does all this mean? LOL. Who knows! I'm just bored.

Some will look at the numbers above and be optimistic. Others will think it's comparing apples to oranges since the numbers posted by the new guys occurred at lower levels. Will their production continue at the A10 level? Historically we've done okay with the portal. We've gained some good players who have posted some good numbers. But the bottom line is that portal players, thus far, have not taken us to the dance.

My way too early thoughts are that we should be bigger, stronger, more physical, and more productive in the post next season. On the flip side getting some guys who can fill it up from outside is still a big need. We may be adequate/good/very good at the point, although small at 5'11 and 5'10.

With Keyshawn out of the picture it is my hope that the roster will be filled with team guys, rather than selfish individuals who are a cancer in the locker room. Our portal guys, for the most part, have gone down leagues which says a lot about the roster last season.

The jury is still out. Time will tell. Waiting for the next announcements. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

And yes, I know it's only Tony's second year. I still have faith he'll get the job done.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
1713533912039.png