2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep - Philly guy. Very skilled and seems like the ultimate team type of guy too.
Sessoms would be a very nice addition at PG.
Absolutely- I only watched about 40 seconds of him on youtube but I was convinced he'd be exactly what Mason needs. I liked how he took guys off a screen, his range from 3, and ability to get to the basket. Typical 6'2-6'3 point guard that you see in D1.

Of course I'm no coach but thats what I got from the few seconds I watched.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Absolutely- I only watched about 40 seconds of him on youtube but I was convinced he'd be exactly what Mason needs. I liked how he took guys off a screen, his range from 3, and ability to get to the basket. Typical 6'2-6'3 point guard that you see in D1.

Of course I'm no coach but thats what I got from the few seconds I watched.
The one thing...he is a generous 6'. Type of guy you have to overlook height with though. Maybe his height was why he ended up beginning his career in the America East. He's proven over the years he can play in any league.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Already is playing in the Big 10. Shooting 42% from 3, much better than previous seasons. 280th nationally in Assist rate. My guess is that he's looking for a better high level program, one that will make the NCAAs.

Why would Sessions accept moving to the a non P5?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Already is playing in the Big 10. Shooting 42% from 3, much better than previous seasons. 280th nationally in Assist rate. My guess is that he's looking for a better high level program, one that will make the NCAAs.

Why would Sessions accept moving to the a non P5?
I tend to agree - one can hope I guess. Michigan has contacted him, but from what I understand they already have an established starting PG. Glad to see GMU is making the effort.

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Cameron Healy just entered the transfer portal. I only mention him because he's from Australia. He's a senior 6'3" SG who averaged 12 points for Central Michigan last year. Before that, he was at Albany where he was a pre-season all conference selection. Looks like he was injured his junior year as he only played 12 games and his number were way down.

In three years at Albany, Healy played in 75 games with 57 starts. The Sydney, Australia native redshirted during the 2017-18 season. As a redshirt freshman, Healy started all 32 games and averaged 16 points per game, while shooting 41 percent from beyond the arc.

Healy also broke the program's rookie scoring record, scoring 512 points to top the previous high of 509. He was named to the America East Conference All-Rookie team in 2018-19 as well as a third team All-AEC selection.

Healy played in 31 games with 23 starts as a sophomore. The production was similar, as Healy averaged 14.2 points per game and ranked fifth in the NCAA in free throw percentage.

In 2020-21, Healy struggled with injuries as well as the emergence of other players on the Great Danes' roster. Healy played in 12 of Albany's 16 games, starting two, and averaged 3.2 points on 23 percent shooting from beyond the arc.

Healy played at Montverde Academy as a high schooler with current New York Knick RJ Barrett to help the school reach a high school national championship game.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Belmont's Will Richard, a 6'5" combo guard has hit the transfer portal. He averaged 12.1 pts. & 6 rebounds as a Freshman, as well as put up 22 & 8 against Vanderbilt in the NIT, so probably looking for a bigger program. He's an Atlanta native so maybe Felton can use some connections to at least get us a look.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Question for the group-
Is your preference for a guy like Cooper who showed he can succeed at a perceived lower level or a guy like Ticket who comes from a P5 that got limited minutes?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Gus Okafor enters the portal. He's a Baltimore kid, so maybe there is a connection with KE somewhere there. 1st team all conference at Southeastern Louisiana. Averaged 14.6 last year. He's a 6'6" guard/forward. Started off at Longwood. Good size.

Masonfan3

Starter
Question for the group-
Is your preference for a guy like Cooper who showed he can succeed at a perceived lower level or a guy like Ticket who comes from a P5 that got limited minutes?

For me, I'd much rather have a guy who has shown he can play/produce at a lower level than a guy who struggles to get on the court at a P5. However, Ticket is a different story because CKE knew him personally, saw him every day in practice, so he knew the type of player and person he was getting.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Question for the group-
I much rather the guy who has shown success already, but thats only based on what Mason has had transfer in the last 10 years.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
My ideal would be a guy like Schwartz, a P5 guy who started, but was a 2nd/3rd option most nights and wants to come in and be the guy.

I haven't followed the transfer portal as much in previous years (there was no need to), but I'm finding out those guys are pretty rare finds. I think I'll take a low major guy that can produce over a high major guys that haven't (Reuter, Royal, Okoloji...)

I'm pretty shocked to see as many low major bench guys as there are. Some of these guys are not going to find homes. Guys that have any skill are being hammered with offers, most from bigger programs than us. This is going to be a little more difficult than I thought for Kim.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My ideal would be a guy like Schwartz, a P5 guy who started, but was a 2nd/3rd option most nights and wants to come in and be the guy.

I haven't followed the transfer portal as much in previous years (there was no need to), but I'm finding out those guys are pretty rare finds. I think I'll take a low major guy that can produce over a high major guys that haven't (Reuter, Royal, Okoloji...)

I'm pretty shocked to see as many low major bench guys as there are. Some of these guys are not going to find homes. Guys that have any skill are being hammered with offers, most from bigger programs than us. This is going to be a little more difficult than I thought for Kim.

Might be easier to find late deciding freshman going forward than it will be to find impact transfers. Might also be harder to keep those freshmen around for all 4 years.

We have to wait for all the extra COVID year eligible players to cycle through before we really know what the new paradigm looks like though.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Based on what's been reported, they've been very selective with who they are reaching out to. Unless I'm mistaken, the only transfers we have been publicly linked to are Llewellyn, Freeman, and Sessoms (all PGs). Outside of transfers, the other reported targets/interest are JUCO PF Rashaun Agee, and 2022 PF Elvis Nnaji.

Obviously there's more activity going on behind the scenes, but just like with 2023 offers, selectiveness seems to be a trait with this staff when it comes to recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.