2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So it's May 10th, alot of targets have fallen off the board and we've got 2 open slots. I'm still not panicking, but I'm curious as to what the plan is to solidify the PG spot. How's everyone feeling?

FreeGunston12

All-American
So it's May 10th, alot of targets have fallen off the board and we've got 2 open slots. I'm still not panicking, but I'm curious as to what the plan is to solidify the PG spot. How's everyone feeling?
Not quite sure at the moment. I'll feel a little better if Nnaji commits - - - I'm still hopeful unless anyone has information otherwise. He is sure taking his time. That would only leave us with a point guard to go find.

I would think we obviously still are chasing aggressively after point guards, even though recruiting information has been tougher to come by recently.

Taking a step back, we might have a pathway to a decent team (not great) without adding any major contributors. But it depends on so much working out well. The most optimistic I could possibly be is to hope that something like the following lineup could work out:

1. Bailey / Dinkins
2. Cooper/ Polite
3. Fernandez/ Singleton
4. Gaines/ Jones
5. J.Oduro/ Henry/ P.Oduro

Optimistically, Fernandez is all he is cracked up to be. Gaines can hold his own at the 4. Jones can take a step forward. Dinkins is ready to contribute. We can get by without a true starting pg. etc. etc. etc.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
7th - 10th place here we come if everything stays as is.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not quite sure at the moment. I'll feel a little better if Nnaji commits - - - I'm still hopeful unless anyone has information otherwise. He is sure taking his time. That would only leave us with a point guard to go find.

I would think we obviously still are chasing aggressively after point guards, even though recruiting information has been tougher to come by recently.

Taking a step back, we might have a pathway to a decent team (not great) without adding any major contributors. But it depends on so much working out well. The most optimistic I could possibly be is to hope that something like the following lineup could work out:

1. Bailey / Dinkins
2. Cooper/ Polite
3. Fernandez/ Singleton
4. Gaines/ Jones
5. J.Oduro/ Henry/ P.Oduro

Optimistically, Fernandez is all he is cracked up to be. Gaines can hold his own at the 4. Jones can take a step forward. Dinkins is ready to contribute. We can get by without a true starting pg. etc. etc. etc.
Bailey certainly isn't a PG and Polite is DEF not an off guard. He isn't really a PG either but Jollay and apparently every coach that has ever stepped into the Pat Dome thinks so. This team wreaks of 5th place. We need to do better in Oduro and Tickets probable last seasons IMO. I hope they surprise me and grab a PG and a PF worth a damn

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
This team wreaks of 5th place.

In year 2 of a rebuild w/a new coach??? Maybe I'm settling...but I'll take that and be satisfied.

Here's how I score it for the current roster, with three scholarships still open.

I never felt like were totally outclassed on the talent level of our starting 5 in A-10 play, but rather that we'd run out of bodies.

I can see some combination of 8-man rotation as the season goes for
Oduro
Bailey
Cooper
Gaines
Singleton
Polite
Fernandez
Jones

Plus limited minutes for
Dinkins
Henry

Plus three more spots potentially to fill

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm feeling like we can't sign a PG or a power forward.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Bailey certainly isn't a PG and Polite is DEF not an off guard. He isn't really a PG either but Jollay and apparently every coach that has ever stepped into the Pat Dome thinks so. This team wreaks of 5th place. We need to do better in Oduro and Tickets probable last seasons IMO. I hope they surprise me and grab a PG and a PF worth a damn
I know, I know. But in my optimistic take, Bailey is being turned into a pg. And if KE doesn't sign a pg, then he's going to have to find a way to not ask much of whoever starts there . . . Just get the ball up the floor and get it into Oduro's hands. As long as they can defend opposing pgs, they can be a pg.

And label Polite whatever you want. He has played time at both positions. I think he'll continue to backup both positions.

Kim seems the type to want his best 5 players on the floor as much as possible, regardless of real positional fits. That's why I threw the lineup I did out there. But you're right, even my optimism doesn't see better than middle of the pack with the current roster.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I know, I know. But in my optimistic take, Bailey is being turned into a pg.

giphy.gif

Repeat after me:
"Sixth year Seniors, who haven't played the 1 since high school in 2017 don't get converted to point guards"

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have a feeling that Dinkins is going to be more ready than we think. No idea and obviously a true frosh. He might be better than Hartwell was as an upperclassman, a low bar to clear.

I think the team overall is upgraded, we have more depth and experience. The issue that I have (and everyone has) is PG is a huge question mark. Is Polite/Dinkins/Every guard on roster enough to disguise all the issues? I think we need to have average to ABOVE average PG play to make the top 5, and right now I can't see why it would improve. If we had signed someone, there would be no doubt that this would have a chance to be an NCAA caliber team with established quality PG play, a competent big, upgraded depth, and shooters/scorers. For now, I have to think we're looking in at the top 5 and really have to prove it. The projections will once again have Mason probably in that glorious 5-7 spot.

But the good news is its May, and plenty of time to see things unfold.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In year 2 of a rebuild w/a new coach??? Maybe I'm settling...but I'll take that and be satisfied.

Here's how I score it for the current roster, with three scholarships still open.

I never felt like were totally outclassed on the talent level of our starting 5 in A-10 play, but rather that we'd run out of bodies.

I can see some combination of 8-man rotation as the season goes for
Oduro
Bailey
Cooper
Gaines
Singleton
Polite
Fernandez
Jones

Plus limited minutes for
Dinkins
Henry

Plus three more spots potentially to fill
If Polite is a top 8 player and Dinkins isn’t playing I think we might actually be bad. I pray every night that Dinkins can go day 1. That means that Polite is our main mins getter at the 1. And I think everyone would not like that to be the case. In no shape or form was he better than XJ at anything last year. I don’t want him playing starters mins if the team is going to be good

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So you want to roll with Polite or Dinkins rather than scheming around the issue? I think the latter is a better option.
I think we all want to sign one. I’d rather scheme around the issue than 0play Polite considerable mins though. Bailey just isn’t that guy at PG, Coop certainly isn’t. Maybe Singleton is?

ephoops

Starter
I have a feeling that Dinkins is going to be more ready than we think.

I agree. If KE does not bring in a PG transfer, I predict that Dinkins will play more minutes at PG than anyone on next year's roster. In addition, he'll start more games at PG than anyone else.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. If KE does not bring in a PG transfer, I predict that Dinkins will play more minutes at PG than anyone on next year's roster. In addition, he'll start more games at PG than anyone else.
I mean the thing is though, going with a freshman point guard is SUPER risky. We saw that many years ago with Corey Edwards and it just held the entire team back. Now granted there were other things wrong but one of the issues was a true freshman PG.

Now, I'm hoping that the PG by committee plus having a good Dinkins is enough, but we'll see. Only another 6 months to worry about it.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
So you want to roll with Polite

Do I want to roll w/Polite, our starting PG in the playoffs, over trying to convert a non-PG to the role who hasn't played that position in 7 years and never in college?

If those are my only options, than yes. Yes I do.

But I can also see a scenario where we don't have a PG, at least not in the traditional sense, but a three-guard offense that shares the ball rather than a primary handler/distributor.

WCAC players generally are ready for burn day one. Even guys like XJ was, from a similar private school league with a shot clock.

Dinkins isn't averaging 30 minutes a game and blowing away the A10 or anything, though.

Question: If Polite does drastically improve with his first healthy offseason, should you guys even get to enjoy Mason's success? I say no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.