2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Would it be the most Mason thing ever to hire a bright young coach whose forte is building deep relationships in recruiting with HS players, now that basically everyone on our level and above is raiding the portal and de-emphasizing HS recruiting?

Not a criticism, but it feels like Kim’s strengths are not geared toward speed dating and that’s what the game has become with unfettered free agency.

Also throw in that Mason doesn’t have the $$$ to compete in NIL and that makes the job even harder.

I suspect we will continue to do very well in adding high-level HS recruits like Fernandez, but question whether that’s enough to win consistently in this new world of adding proven, physically developed talent.

Having 2 very specific needs heading into the portal and so far whiffing badly on both doesn’t give me a ton of confidence.

Would it be the most Mason thing ever to hire a bright young coach whose forte is building deep relationships in recruiting with HS players, now that basically everyone on our level and above is raiding the portal and de-emphasizing HS recruiting?

Not a criticism, but it feels like Kim’s strengths are not geared toward speed dating and that’s what the game has become with unfettered free agency.

Also throw in that Mason doesn’t have the $$$ to compete in NIL and that makes the job even harder.

I suspect we will continue to do very well in adding high-level HS recruits like Fernandez, but question whether that’s enough to win consistently in this new world of adding proven, physically developed talent.

Having 2 very specific needs heading into the portal and so far whiffing badly on both doesn’t give me a ton of confidence.

He rises or falls based on HS recruiting. (And coaching)

One-year band-aids who have to learn the system every year aren't going to take you up the mountain. At least not at Mason, and especially with a finite "I used to coach him at Tennessee or Colorado" type-guys.

Transfers can be the frosting on the cake, just not the cake. Kim's strength should be developung talent anyway...

Still hope we grab at least one more point who can shoot a little, though.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

No disagreement there. But also having a young bright coach means that he has to be willing to adjust to the market. Even if maybe that was once his forte, he now has to pivot as the game is changing. If he is the bright young coach we all think he is, I am not worried about him adapting and changing. To me, the issue is if you have a coach who was good at the way the "market" was 10-15 years ago and refuses to change his ways. I would sincerely doubt that this would be the case with someone like Kim.

Could it be harder with NIL and other factors? Sure. But once again, he has the mind to figure it out and make it happen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement there. But also having a young bright coach means that he has to be willing to adjust to the market. Even if maybe that was once his forte, he now has to pivot as the game is changing. If he is the bright young coach we all think he is, I am not worried about him adapting and changing. To me, the issue is if you have a coach who was good at the way the "market" was 10-15 years ago and refuses to change his ways. I would sincerely doubt that this would be the case with someone like Kim.

Could it be harder with NIL and other factors? Sure. But once again, he has the mind to figure it out and make it happen.
Guess I’m just feeling some kind of way because it’s obvious the usual pitch of “immediate starter minutes in a very good conference” isn’t working. PGs have flown off the board and I’m genuinely shocked we haven’t been able to land one of them with this staff … other issues notwithstanding, maybe Sessoms actually was the best we could have done?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Guess I’m just feeling some kind of way because it’s obvious the usual pitch of “immediate starter minutes in a very good conference” isn’t working. PGs have flown off the board and I’m genuinely shocked we haven’t been able to land one of them with this staff … other issues notwithstanding, maybe Sessoms actually was the best we could have done?

Curtis McCants is not walking through that door, Jim. Otis Livingston is not walking through that door, and Marquise Moore is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they’re going to be out of eligibility and old. What we are is young, exciting, hardworking, and we’re going to improve. People don’t realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this fan base will be for all of us because there are young guys in that (locker) room playing their asses off. I wish we had $90 million in NIL sponsorships. I wish we could buy the world. We can’t; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that’s in this fan base sucks.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
WCAC players generally are ready for burn day one. Even guys like XJ was, from a similar private school league with a shot clock.

Dinkins isn't averaging 30 minutes a game and blowing away the A10 or anything, though.

Question: If Polite does drastically improve with his first healthy offseason, should you guys even get to enjoy Mason's success? I say no.
I for one can’t wait until we hear in January that Polite had an ingrown toe nail this summer that massively impacted his ability to develop. It’s year 3. There was little to no growth between years 1-2. He is not going to be a top 5 PG in the conference, which is what we need if we are realistically going to compete for a bid.

Curtis McCants is not walking through that door, Jim. Otis Livingston is not walking through that door, and Marquise Moore is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they’re going to be out of eligibility and old. What we are is young, exciting, hardworking, and we’re going to improve. People don’t realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this fan base will be for all of us because there are young guys in that (locker) room playing their asses off. I wish we had $90 million in NIL sponsorships. I wish we could buy the world. We can’t; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that’s in this fan base sucks.

I'd take Cam Long over all of them.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Transfers can be the frosting on the cake, just not the cake. Kim's strength should be developing talent anyway...
Completely agree with this strategy for a coach that is here for the long haul and is dedicated to building a powerhouse program. My fear with English, who pretty much took the job with one foot already out the door, is that he will always be thinking one year ahead instead of four.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m a positive person by nature, but the reality is our program has been utterly irrelevant for 11 years, our league is getting better and deeper as other teams make the necessary commitments to winning, and we’re looking at another year where fifth place may be the most optimistic expectation even with the best big in the A-10.

Sorry I’m just not feeling it today. I hope I’m wrong.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I get it, I hear you. I'm as frustrated as you and as the next guy.

But the staff isn't stupid (to what we know). Perhaps they feel they have enough to compensate and can gameplan around not having the stud PG. That would take some wizardry, but maybe thats the idea. I have no idea but I'm still in the boat of "no stud PG=no top 5" at this point. I'll always be happy to eat crow and be wrong though.

I'm not sure what else we can say other than its May (ha that rhymes) and we have to see how things pan out. The team is put together for a special year but we are all very concerned about PG play holding the team back. Can they overcome it? I certainly hope so.
I for one can’t wait until we hear in January that Polite had an ingrown toe nail this summer that massively impacted his ability to develop. It’s year 3. There was little to no growth between years 1-2. He is not going to be a top 5 PG in the conference, which is what we need if we are realistically going to compete for a bid.
I'm very skeptical on Polite as well. I don't think he magically develops, but maybe he does? If so, I too would eat crow on this topic as well.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Decent passer, decent defense, shoots like a chick and can't hit the rim, and can't dribble does not make a PG I want running my offense. Every year we hear "Just wait till he develops", I guess I can wait another offseason. Kid is made of glass unfortunately and sometimes they hit their peak and stop improving. Seems to have happened to him his senior year of high school. The kid hustles which is good enough for 90% of this fanbase so maybe it should be for me.

Hope to be wrong and I am very excited about Dinkins, just not today

Dawgs99

Starter
The hope with Polite is that he hasn't been healthy here and maybe finally with a full off season we see that he can be a serviceable PG at this level....don't seem him ever being elite. Whats the story on Elvis?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Well you've got two options. You can either whine about like a little B!tch. Or you can do something about it.

Me, I'd going to do something about it. I'm going to Church and lighting a candle and praying for intercession from St. Jalen Jenkins of Yonkers, the Patron Saint of late development. So when Polite wins A10 POY over Oduro, you can thank me. Because I'm the real hero in this story.

You're welcome. Also, go die in a fire.

Saint-Jalen.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Idk what the delay is in Elvis announcing. I am under the impression that he will end up in Fairfax, but I thought that he would've made that public already.

As far as PG goes, there is nothing out there that suggests that we are currently pursuing anyone from the portal. Sights were set fairly high, and the guys we made serious runs at ended up going to HM/Top25-ish teams. I don't believe we lost out to any school that would be considered "beneath us".

I do think we will see Singleton with the ball in his hands quite a bit in a Point Forward role. A lineup of Cooper, Bailey, Ticket, Singleton, and Oduro gives us really good size, not to mention we'd be old AF. I do think that Bailey has the quickness to guard most opposing 1's in the league. I'll be interested to see if Cooper and Bailey will be aggressive in putting the ball on the floor.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As far as PG goes, there is nothing out there that suggests that we are currently pursuing anyone from the portal. Sights were set fairly high, and the guys we made serious runs at ended up going to HM/Top25-ish teams. I don't believe we lost out to any school that would be considered "beneath us".
We lost Jahmir Young to Maryland who CKE put several notches beneath us last year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.