2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Guess I’m just feeling some kind of way because it’s obvious the usual pitch of “immediate starter minutes in a very good conference” isn’t working. PGs have flown off the board and I’m genuinely shocked we haven’t been able to land one of them with this staff … other issues notwithstanding, maybe Sessoms actually was the best we could have done?
Jim, first I want to say I am proud of you. The once eternal optimist 3 years into the miserable DP regime has now turned into negative Nancy and pessimist Patty in front of my eyes.

I agree with you first of all, although I am much less doom in gloom. But how the heck were you more confident in the Jarrod Reuter led Mason team over what we have this year? We have 2 maybe 3 all conference caliber dudes, much better 2/3 depth than we have ever had and hopefully some of these guys get better over the offseason. Plus a 4 star stud and a 3 star PG who has a lot of promise.

TLDR: we need a PG because I will David Carridine myself if I have to watch any more of Polite dribbling off his leg and shooting like a chick over the backboard but I still think we will be better and more fun to watch than anything during DP's tenure.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, first I want to say I am proud of you. The once eternal optimist 3 years into the miserable DP regime has now turned into negative Nancy and pessimist Patty in front of my eyes.

I agree with you first of all, although I am much less doom in gloom. But how the heck were you more confident in the Jarrod Reuter led Mason team over what we have this year? We have 2 maybe 3 all conference caliber dudes, much better 2/3 depth than we have ever had and hopefully some of these guys get better over the offseason. Plus a 4 star stud and a 3 star PG who has a lot of promise.

TLDR: we need a PG because I will David Carridine myself if I have to watch any more of Polite dribbling off his leg and shooting like a chick over the backboard but I still think we will be better and more fun to watch than anything during DP's tenure.
I guess it’s a combination of skepticism from the last decade of getting burned over and over again, and excitement for the possibility that Kim could land recruits who would’ve never given us the time of day under the previous coach.

He obviously has done that, and I still am thrilled to have him as our coach for as long as he wants to stay, but when Kim says we’re gonna be aggressively targeting the PG and PF spots in the portal and all we end up with is wings, it’s hard to get too excited about that. Other than improved depth, the glaring weaknesses from last year’s team still persist.

(Caveat being, I do think Bailey will finally give us somebody athletic enough to guard A-10 PGs. That’s actually a pretty big deal.)

Last edited:
I for one can’t wait until we hear in January that Polite had an ingrown toe nail this summer that massively impacted his ability to develop. It’s year 3. There was little to no growth between years 1-2. He is not going to be a top 5 PG in the conference, which is what we need if we are realistically going to compete for a bid.

Haha, don't get me wrong, that definitely may happen...

But there was always going to be more time needed with his development. PG public school league, "only" 18 (a lot of recruits are held back now, minimum 19), and...the injuries.

Plus PG is the toughest position to learn, two coaches two years, etc.

His rope is gone, injuries or no, but I expect him to start and at least be better.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I get it, I hear you. I'm as frustrated as you and as the next guy.

But the staff isn't stupid (to what we know). Perhaps they feel they have enough to compensate and can gameplan around not having the stud PG. That would take some wizardry, but maybe thats the idea. I have no idea but I'm still in the boat of "no stud PG=no top 5" at this point. I'll always be happy to eat crow and be wrong though.

I'm not sure what else we can say other than its May (ha that rhymes) and we have to see how things pan out. The team is put together for a special year but we are all very concerned about PG play holding the team back. Can they overcome it? I certainly hope so.

I'm very skeptical on Polite as well. I don't think he magically develops, but maybe he does? If so, I too would eat crow on this topic as well.
Oh boy, back to the "hope I'm wrong" and "I'll gladly eat crow" talk commonplace during the Hewitt and Paulsen days.

Generally, the hope never panned out and the crow went uneaten. Hope I'm wrong!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh boy, back to the "hope I'm wrong" and "I'll gladly eat crow" talk commonplace during the Hewitt and Paulsen days.

Generally, the hope never panned out and the crow went uneaten. Hope I'm wrong!

Lol I mean we also thought Dave wasn’t getting fired either amongst other topics. I don’t like that it’s a “we’ll see” considering the rest of the roster but so be it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, if you want it to happen, pray to the all mighty wearing green and gold, holding a carrot stick in your left hand while raising your right hand to the sky. He shall grant your wish. This worked for me when we signed Will Thomas and Folarin.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, if you want it to happen, pray to the all mighty wearing green and gold, holding a carrot stick in your left hand while raising your right hand to the sky. He shall grant your wish. This worked for me when we signed Will Thomas and Folarin.

I thought it was Mikey the chimp performing at halftime That helped bring everything together.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
6h

Tre Mitchell to West Virginia. We need audio and video of the conversations between Huggs and Tony Bergeron this year.

Quote Tweet

jwO5kb_P_normal.png

WVU Men's Basketball

@WVUhoops
· 6h

Signing Alert

@CoachHuggs has announced the signing of @tre_mitch33

https://wvusports.com/news/2022/5/13/mens-basketball-huggins-announces-signing-of-tre-mitchell.aspx…

#HailWV

1652475406429.png

Status
Not open for further replies.