2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Didn't we make it to the Final Four once w/out having a true PG on the roster? Or am I just imagining that....
Yeah and St. Peter's made the elite 8 this year without a true 5 and an assistant coach who probably slept in a van down by the river. Sometimes you just catch it at the right time. Looking at consistent success and the vast, vast majority of teams that dance, you would know that yes in fact you do need to have a top tier PG to initiate your offense to be successful at the college level.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah and St. Peter's made the elite 8 this year without a true 5 and an assistant coach who probably slept in a van down by the river. Sometimes you just catch it at the right time. Looking at consistent success and the vast, vast majority of teams that dance, you would know that yes in fact you do need to have a top tier PG to initiate your offense to be successful at the college level.
Lmaooooo and saint peters has a PG lol

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I suspect we’d be OK defensively if Bailey is guarding the 1 because he’s certainly more than athletic enough to do it. But we’ve seen what this team looks like offensively with mediocre PG play and I’d rather not see it again if I can avoid it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think we just need a day of posting in caps lock this off season. Thoughts?

At least we are actually having spirited debate about a legitimate topic.

Last edited:

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess I'm somewhat less concerned by the PG/SG distinction than many, I just want someone who can break down a defense and create shots. In the A-10 tournament we leaned on Ronald to do it late because he was the only one on the floor really capable. I don't know Bailey's game well enough and time will tell whether Fernandez is that guy, but whether it's a wing or a point guard, we just need someone on the perimeter we can give it to late who can get a shot for themselves or someone else.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess I'm somewhat less concerned by the PG/SG distinction than many, I just want someone who can break down a defense and create shots. In the A-10 tournament we leaned on Ronald to do it late because he was the only one on the floor really capable. I don't know Bailey's game well enough and time will tell whether Fernandez is that guy, but whether it's a wing or a point guard, we just need someone on the perimeter we can give it to late who can get a shot for themselves or someone else.
Good point, and I'm not sure if this is what you were going for, but what you are describing to me is a "toughness" that you need to succeed. The guy that just says "give me the f'n ball" and gets it done in a pivotal moment.

I know Singleton was described as being tough, so perhaps he can help and do some of what you described.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Good point, and I'm not sure if this is what you were going for, but what you are describing to me is a "toughness" that you need to succeed. The guy that just says "give me the f'n ball" and gets it done in a pivotal moment.

I know Singleton was described as being tough, so perhaps he can help and do some of what you described.
Some of it is toughness, most of it is just skillset. Coop, Ticket, even Schwartz are great, but you don't really want to give them the ball at the top of the key and ask them to create off the dribble in crunch time. Plenty of guards did it against us last season down the stretch of games (Fernandez, Collins, Gilyard, Keyser). I just want one of those-type guys who can create their own when needed.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Some of it is toughness, most of it is just skillset. Coop, Ticket, even Schwartz are great, but you don't really want to give them the ball at the top of the key and ask them to create off the dribble in crunch time. Plenty of guards did it against us last season down the stretch of games (Fernandez, Collins, Gilyard, Keyser). I just want one of those-type guys who can create their own when needed.
To me it’s a combination of being able to create your own shot but also getting the ball to everyone else in spots where they can do something with it.

When you don’t have a bunch of guys who are most effective playing iso ball — and we don’t — the offense becomes either a jump-shooting contest or everyone stands and watches Josh unless there is someone else capable of creating.

Ideally that someone is your PG.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Bailey looks like a pretty inconsistent shooter. Looking at his junior year, when he was playing a lot more minutes, he went 7-10 from 3 against South Carolina and shot 1-9 against Oregon State in the Round of 64. I don’t think we want him playing more than 25 mpg or being relied upon to replace Schwartz’s shooting. But hopefully he’s more of a bulldog defensively, which is what we REALLY need there to help out Gaines. I think he’s more of a slashing guard. He was a really great FT shooter his junior year. If he can get to the line a lot, he should be able to make the other team’s pay at the line.

As for Cooper, what we need to hope from him is losing a few percentage points worth of body fat so he can finish some of the drives he started last year. He just needs to be a step quicker to finish some of those and being leaner will help.

Unless Polite miraculously fixes his shooting motion I don’t think you could trust him to find a shot. He’s not quick enough or strong enough to Marquise Moore it and he’s not a good enough shooter to take advantage of someone needing to guard him close to blow past him.

Gaines also hopefully will become more aggressive on the drive next season. He should be able to get to the rim more easily than he did last year. He’s our other really great FT shooter. He needs to look to get to the line A LOT more.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
To me it’s a combination of being able to create your own shot but also getting the ball to everyone else in spots where they can do something with it.

When you don’t have a bunch of guys who are most effective playing iso ball — and we don’t — the offense becomes either a jump-shooting contest or everyone stands and watches Josh unless there is someone else capable of creating.

Ideally that someone is your PG.
Yes, but the system generates a lot of that too. Running a 4-out offense we're going to get lots of corner 3's and other kickouts just because of our spacing. Not saying a PG isn't critical, but Coop and Ticket got those looks last year without an elite PG on the floor.

We both want a creator, I'm just less worried about them being a traditional PG.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

From what I've heard and seen Fernandez is this type to be that game changer. Agree we need that Cam Long type player who can do it all - fearless.

Bailey can get to the rim and may be able to create his own shot.... don't have too much to go on yet.

FreeGunston12

All-American
A- you can’t go below a B+ I don’t think with two of some of the highest rated recruits we’ve ever gotten. Bailey is a solid one-year replacement for what we lost in Schwartz, Singleton is a versatile upgrade over the bench we had last season, and Nnaji is an interesting prospect at the 4. Not an A because we didn’t really get better at PG
How in the world could one rate *this off-season's* acquisitions this highly? KE laid out two needs (1 and 4) and hasn't addressed either of them yet.

*note, this off-season's acquisitions do not include Fernandez nor Dinkins from my perspective as they were committed long ago. Fernandez even joined the team this semester. IMO this period should be judged on Bailey and Singleton, which I am fine with. It's what is missing that is keeping him down and what he does with those two open scholarships that will decide the final grade.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How in the world could one rate *this off-season's* acquisitions this highly? KE laid out two needs (1 and 4) and hasn't addressed either of them yet.

*note, this off-season's acquisitions do not include Fernandez nor Dinkins from my perspective as they were committed long ago. Fernandez even joined the team this semester. IMO this period should be judged on Bailey and Singleton, which I am fine with. It's what is missing that is keeping him down and what he does with those two open scholarships that will decide the final grade.

They were part of the question, so I included them.

Elvis Nnaji, by the way, is a 3 star recruit and rated ahead of Ryan Pearson and around the same as Mbaye and Moldoveanu when they came, so if we land him we should actually be a little more excited than (he’s obviously a developmental project and probably won’t play at all).

The question is if our recruiting class winds up being: Fernandez, Dinkins, Oduro, Bailey, Singleton, Nnaji, and Venning how would you rate it?

That’s 2 4-star, 2 3-star recruits at PG, SG, SG, PF; and a transfer wing who is an upgrade over our entire bench last year to go along with two project bigs. And some of you aren’t even giving him a passing grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.