2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Good to see we are after another big body. Perhaps someone who can be developed and be the 5 after Oduro. Also good to see we are competing with Bonaventure and I’m sure other peer schools.

If he takes a scholly and we get Elvis, we are rolling with what we got at point guard.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Has Rudi made a decision yet? I know we didn’t make his top 4, but maybe KE has something up his sleeve.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
When was that announced and who are the top 4?
When was that announced and who are the top 4?
Rudi went on to say the final schools he is considering are BYU, San Diego State, Wichita state, and Oregon State. He will decide in the “next 10 days or so” after completing his visits. He begins his SDSU visit this Friday.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Rudi went on to say the final schools he is considering are BYU, San Diego State, Wichita state, and Oregon State. He will decide in the “next 10 days or so” after completing his visits. He begins his SDSU visit this Friday.

He visited SDSU last Friday.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If our 22-23 roster ends up being what is listed below, what grade would you give our player acquisition this off-season?

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If our 22-23 roster ends up being what is listed below, what grade would you give our player acquisition this off-season?

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed
(Editing) C only because we didn't address our biggest need (a day 1 starter at PG) And I still LOVE CKE but no way Dinkins is ready day 1, I absolutely hate our returning option and I unlike the rest of you don't believe Bailey or Singleton are PGs. Fernandes is a beaut and I am excited about Bailey Jr for one year as well. Oduro and Nnaji are dev players only at this point and I have never heard of Venning before today

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed

A- you can’t go below a B+ I don’t think with two of some of the highest rated recruits we’ve ever gotten. Bailey is a solid one-year replacement for what we lost in Schwartz, Singleton is a versatile upgrade over the bench we had last season, and Nnaji is an interesting prospect at the 4. Not an A because we didn’t really get better at PG

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
D only because we didn't address our biggest need (a day 1 starter at PG) And I still LOVE CKE but no way Dinkins is ready day 1, I absolutely hate our returning option and I unlike the rest of you don't believe Bailey or Singleton are PGs.

A top 100 4 star recruit and you go D?!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed
C minus and that’s only because I’m in a generous mood. Gotta have a PG

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed

Recruiting Class: A-

Fernandez/Dinkins are going to be great at Mason. No issues there and hopefully they get another kid to round out the class (Nnaji?). They get an A- because I have no idea what Peter Oduro will be although I like the attitude I've heard he has about being better than Josh.

Transfer Portal:

B-

I think we upgraded our depth options with Singleton and Bailey overall compared to what we had, but PG is a glaring hole. We also need to see what transpires with the last two spots. I know everyone and their uncle is not happy about the PG spot (myself included). If we are truly in win now mode, the PG spot could be the difference between mid pack and top 5. I do think we have improved the roster, but I don't see how the program can be expected to make a "win now" "top 5" leap without a significant PG upgrade.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fernandez will be great but we’re in win-now mode and KE himself acknowledged we need a PG. Not getting one would be a major shortcoming.

I get this sentiment, but trying to nail a one year grad transfer (because otherwise I don’t see how you keep Dinkins around), that is an obvious upgrade over XJ/Polite) is threading a needle.

We have to think beyond just next season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I get this sentiment, but trying to nail a one year grad transfer (because otherwise I don’t see how you keep Dinkins around), that is an obvious upgrade over XJ/Polite) is threading a needle.

We have to think beyond just next season.
Actually in the new “free agency” world of college basketball, thinking beyond just next season is pretty much foolhardy.

Saving 2 or 3 spots for developmental players is fine, but this roster without an upgrade at PG is most likely not getting a double bye in the A-10 or making the NCAAs.

Then we lose Oduro, Cooper, Bailey, Singleton and who knows who else (could certainly see Ticket going pro instead of using his extra year).

Then it’s time for another rebuild. No thanks. We have a window to really go for it and I’m gonna be bummed if this staff can’t deliver.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Also we pretty much established on this board that X was no better than the 10th-best PG in the A-10. Let’s stop pretending we’re trying to replace Yuri Collins already.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I may get killed from this, but perhaps the staff also thinks that Singleton/Dinkins/Polite etc, is enough of an upgrade to compete.

I don't think I can agree, and I would be happy to be proven wrong. That would be some real magic in a league where you have Yuri Collins and Ace Baldwin at the top.

Still 2 spots to fill, so we'll see. Hopefully they get the PG and everyone can take a collective deep breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.