2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I may get killed from this, but perhaps the staff also thinks that Singleton/Dinkins/Polite etc, is enough of an upgrade to compete.

I don't think I can agree, and I would be happy to be proven wrong. That would be some real magic in a league where you have Yuri Collins and Ace Baldwin at the top.

Still 2 spots to fill, so we'll see. Hopefully they get the PG and everyone can take a collective deep breath.

Our two biggest issues last year were team defense and turnovers (XJ would have been a fine PG for us last year if he was a better defender and didn’t turn it over as much as he did against the better teams). A third was depth. Hopefully we solved the depth issue (at least at guard). It remains to be seen how good the team defense is going to be, which for me is key to finishing in the top 5.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Our two biggest issues last year were team defense and turnovers (XJ would have been a fine PG for us last year if he was a better defender and didn’t turn it over as much as he did against the better teams). A third was depth. Hopefully we solved the depth issue (at least at guard). It remains to be seen how good the team defense is going to be, which for me is key to finishing in the top 5.
Very fair points. The question is, can even 2 of the 3 being fixed get Mason into the top 5. I would be skeptical at this juncture but that's why they play the games.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Towson’s Cam Holden is in the portal. Another 6-5 guy I would take in a second. Not necessarily a “true PG” but a good passer and just a very good player all around.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If our 22-23 roster ends up being what is listed below, what grade would you give our player acquisition this off-season?

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed
Currently an incomplete. Final grade TBD. C-/D+ if the roster above is final. Too many unknowns and no flat out studs from the portal.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Very fair points. The question is, can even 2 of the 3 being fixed get Mason into the top 5. I would be skeptical at this juncture but that's why they play the games.
I don't see how this roster is better than Dayton, SLU, vcu, UMASS (sorry but they are going to be really good if their transfers can play together) and who knows who else. We will have to be better than at least one of these teams for an autobid (which we have to be fighting for with Ticket, Coop, Bailey's for sure last years and Oduro and Ticket's probable last years as well). Playing for the future is a DP way of coaching which is exactly why he is the third assistant on Fordham this year. You need to be adapted to the new wave of each season being a new year to rebuild until the rules change

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't see how this roster is better than Dayton, SLU, vcu, UMASS (sorry but they are going to be really good if their transfers can play together) and who knows who else. We will have to be better than at least one of these teams for an autobid (which we have to be fighting for with Ticket, Coop, Bailey's for sure last years and Oduro and Ticket's probable last years as well). Playing for the future is a DP way of coaching which is exactly why he is the third assistant on Fordham this year. You need to be adapted to the new wave of each season being a new year to rebuild until the rules change
This is why taking a visit from Venning sort of puzzles me. Perhaps the staff thinks he can become something special, but he doesn’t fit what KE said they were looking for: older guys ready to play right away at PF and PG.

If we’re in development mode, OK give the ball to Dinkins and JF and we’ll live with the inevitable freshman mistakes as part of the normal growth curve.

But then why take Bailey and Singleton? I’m sure there’s a plan but not sure what it is at this point.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is why taking a visit from Venning sort of puzzles me. Perhaps the staff thinks he can become something special, but he doesn’t fit what KE said they were looking for: older guys ready to play right away at PF and PG.

If we’re in development mode, OK give the ball to Dinkins and JF and we’ll live with the inevitable freshman mistakes as part of the normal growth curve.

But then why take Bailey and Singleton? I’m sure there’s a plan but not sure what it is at this point.
I find anything puzzling that doesn't either keep XJ and pray Dinkins is better than Polite which would be an upgrade or putting all of your eggs into signing a single PG that has D1 experience better than Jamal. Kinda flabbergasted honestly but I am as patient as they come because I enjoyed watching the team last year and we aren't boring anymore

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I can understand the want and need to have someone who can slot into a back up role for Josh, or even someone who can play alongside Josh, allowing him to step out a bit more to showcase an all around game for his professional future.

There was a huge void behind Josh which was exploited last season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Vennings visit puzzles me too, unless it’s a choice between him and Nnaji and not both, but taking Vennings also seems to point to losing out on some or all of our ‘23 targets at that position, so I don’t know.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If our 22-23 roster ends up being what is listed below, what grade would you give our player acquisition this off-season?

Victor Bailey Jr
DeVon Cooper
Saquan Singleton
Josh Oduro
Ticket Gaines
Malik Henry
Ronald Polite
Chad Venning*
Blake Jones
Justyn Fernandez
Devin Dinkins
Elvis Nnaji*
Peter Oduro

*Not Committed
C+IMO. Not bad by any means, but I think we'd be downgrading at one position and at best staying flat at another. I think we really absolutely have to bring someone in who is clearly going to be the starting PG on Day 1 for me to be super high on this offseason.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I can understand the want and need to have someone who can slot into a back up role for Josh, or even someone who can play alongside Josh, allowing him to step out a bit more to showcase an all around game for his professional future.

There was a huge void behind Josh which was exploited last season.
I truly don’t mean this to sound as harsh as it will, but if that person isn’t Malik as a junior, why is he still at Mason? Same with Polite … just makes no sense to keep juniors around during a roster transition if they aren’t seen as rotation players.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Elvis Nnaji commits, English would have brought in 3 of Mason’s top 25 rated recruits of all time (including the second highest recruit ever) and you all are grading him a D to C+.
For next season, yes. He’s the one who made it clear we’re trying to get the most from Josh’s senior season and that’s the curve he’s getting graded against. Sign a competent, veteran PG and I’m probably giving him an A.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
C+IMO. Not bad by any means, but I think we'd be downgrading at one position and at best staying flat at another. I think we really absolutely have to bring someone in who is clearly going to be the starting PG on Day 1 for me to be super high on this offseason.
To be more clear -- I think we'd be downgrading at Schwartz's position from last season. I think we brought in alot of talent, but I'll be incredibly surprised if any of them match Schwartz's production from last year. It's tough to find a 5th year senior with March experience like we did.

I think my thoughts on the PG spot are probably well documented at this point and if we don't find someone who can get the ball to the great pieces we have then this is all for nothing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn't we make it to the Final Four once w/out having a true PG on the roster? Or am I just imagining that....
Had a bunch of guards that can ball handle. I love Coop but he ain’t it. Can afford to have no true point guard when you have a bunch of guards who can dribble and shoot. TBD on the new guys but from the returnees we have none. Some of the returnees can’t do either

Status
Not open for further replies.