2022 Coaching Carousel

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep- I knew there wasn't a bonus for the NIT, but I can't help but think that if English makes the NIT, he'll get a raise considering where Mason has been as a program.

I wouldn't be shocked if he also gets the 1 year courtesy raise and extension that Dave got too.
You gotta think that if we win 20 games we're in the NIT or close to it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seems like it will be Frank Martin, but Schmidt was a very real possibility.

Yeah I saw he pulled out, which means he was at least thinking about it. Seems like a bad move going to another in-conference school, even for an extra million. You’d have to be willing to burn a lot of bridges.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah I saw he pulled out, which means he was at least thinking about it. Seems like a bad move going to another in-conference school, even for an extra million. You’d have to be willing to burn a lot of bridges.
Extra million per year though, right? For an old man at the end of his career, not the craziest idea to chase the bag, considering P5 schools, and their associated pay days, aren’t really beating down the door for a geriatric who’s team underperforms expectations.

I thought it was weird his name was being thrown around, but just because it was a step down in the A10, financially it makes all the sense in the world when you put Schmidt in perspective.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Extra million per year though, right? For an old man at the end of his career, not the craziest idea to chase the bag, considering P5 schools, and their associated pay days, aren’t really beating down the door for a geriatric who’s team underperforms expectations.

I thought it was weird his name was being thrown around, but just because it was a step down in the A10, financially it makes all the sense in the world when you put Schmidt in perspective.
Schmidt is smart and obviously has a good agent. Putting his “interest” in UMass out in the public domain almost certainly got him a very nice bump from Bona, whether they’re matching the rumored $1.8M offer or just getting close — and he didn’t have to say a word about potentially leaving his current job to do it.

Good for him, good for Bona, not so good for UMass but maybe they end up with crazy-a** Frank Martin instead lol

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Tony Skinn is heading to Maryland to rejoin Willard. On the Junkies yesterday they had Willard on the show and asked them about Tony and Simpkins. Duane could be leaving as well.

Willard already hired Skinn and David Cox to handle the DMV recruiting, so I’d be surprised if the third assistant’s spot is someone with ties to the same area. But Simp is an alum so you never know…

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Willard already hired Skinn and David Cox to handle the DMV recruiting, so I’d be surprised if the third assistant’s spot is someone with ties to the same area. But Simp is an alum so you never know…

I’d be surprised if they’d put simpkins on that team considering Cox is the lead assistant and Tony is probably the middle guy.

Although maybe they make Simpkins director of something that’s equivalent or more than what he does at mason. If they want him they’d find a way.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

“'Coming back home to work at Maryland, a school I grew up just miles away from, is a dream come true for me,' said Skinn. 'Coach Willard is going to build something very special at Maryland. I can’t wait to get out and recruit the best kids in the DMV and around the country and help them develop into stars for the Terps. Our family is thrilled to be coming home.'”

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member

“'Coming back home to work at Maryland, a school I grew up just miles away from, is a dream come true for me,' said Skinn. 'Coach Willard is going to build something very special at Maryland. I can’t wait to get out and recruit the best kids in the DMV and around the country and help them develop into stars for the Terps. Our family is thrilled to be coming home.'”
20211117_210105-1024x1024.jpg

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Willard said he will have his staff in place by the end of the week, and it will be 'very heavy' on assistants who are familiar with the D.C. area. Recruiting local talent will be crucial as Willard rebuilds, and he’ll have the draw of a new practice facility. Evans announced that the money needed to cover the building’s $40 million price tag had been raised by donors. Construction is set to begin in January, with a timeline of about 18 months until completion. Maryland is one of the few high-major schools without a basketball practice facility."

ephoops

Starter
Martin’s wife is a UMass alumna.

I like the hire. Martin is a passionate coach. He will recruit the New England prep schools very hard. The caliber of head coaches in the A-10 is definitely improving.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

“'Anya and I have never been more excited to call a place home like we are with UMass,' said Martin. 'It is evident that there is tremendous alignment in place to win and do it the right way. We cannot wait to be in Amherst and represent that community and our incredible University. Let’s all get on this ride together, let’s dream big and let’s be relentless at making our dreams a reality. Let’s win! Go UMass!'”

"A fixture off the court and in the community, Martin and his wife, UMass track and field alumna Anya (nee Forrest), have hosted numerous philanthropic events and have been key investors in the UMass women’s track and field program. In 2019, Martin was introduced into the Naismith Coaches Circle that was created by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to recognize coaches who have impacted their communities, players, other coaches, and society in a positive manner."