OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
·
1h

Jerome Tang's deal with Kansas State is for six years and $2.1 million per season, per a school spokesman.

Quote Tweet

roth_normal.jpg

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
· 19h

Sources: Baylor's Jerome Tang is finalizing a deal to become the next head coach at Kansas State. Official announcement expected soon.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops
·
33m

High-Major Hires:

High-Major coaches: Mike White (Georgia), Kevin Willard (Maryland)

Mid-Majors: Todd Golden (Florida), Matt McMahon (LSU), Chris Jans (Miss St), Dennis Gates (Mizzou)

Assistants: Kenny Payne (Louisville), Jerome Tang (Kansas St)

Out: Sean Miller (Xavier)

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Taking the Saint Peter’s job is definitely the riskier move from a career perspective. The W’s and L’s go on your record and if you don’t win, it will be difficult to move up to a better job.

At Maryland, Tony can bolster his profile as one of the “hot young assistants” with no risk and potentially bypass the MAAC level altogether for his first HC job.
Wouldn't be a salary bump, either. He's making $315k as an assistant at Ohio State.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I suppose it all depends on how you are evaluated. Holloway’s record (outside of this year) isn’t particularly impressive from a pure numbers standpoint (he’s never won the MAAC regular season, for instance). But he’s been a “target” for programs even before the Sweet 16 run. So they’re seeing potential in his coaching outside of his ability to do the impossible (which he did this tournament).

If Skinn thinks he can recruit his guys to the school and compete in the MAAC, I could see the lure of taking a shot at being the lead guy.

They do have a tiny gym and the second lowest basketball budget in the MAAC. But they’ve also got an alum who has some pretty deep pockets…so that might be changing going forward.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I suppose it all depends on how you are evaluated. Holloway’s record (outside of this year) isn’t particularly impressive from a pure numbers standpoint (he’s never won the MAAC regular season, for instance). But he’s been a “target” for programs even before the Sweet 16 run. So they’re seeing potential in his coaching outside of his ability to do the impossible (which he did this tournament).

If Skinn thinks he can recruit his guys to the school and compete in the MAAC, I could see the lure of taking a shot at being the lead guy.

They do have a tiny gym and the second lowest basketball budget in the MAAC. But they’ve also got an alum who has some pretty deep pockets…so that might be changing going forward.

I know this topic has become a favorite of ours especially since we want (and I want) Tony to coach mason someday.

I do think this is spot on though. Tony now has ties to nyc and nj much like Holloway did. Maybe the light at St Peter’s goes on and they go all in to be really good at basketball and lure a guy like Tony to keep going. Hiring off the Williard tree worked once, no reason it can’t work twice. They obviously would need to sell the next guy on being all in. As it was they were lucky to keep Holloway this long.

Or maybe they take the Mason approach, stay status quo, talk about the run nonstop for 10 years and Tony goes nowhere close to St Peter’s. We’ll see what transpires especially once they are done playing. I’m definitely curious.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander
·
1h

McMahon was able to negotiate a seven-year deal with LSU, per a source. South Carolina tried to push, but it speaks to the allure of each job that, despite NCAA punishments sure to come, McMahon still preferred to head to Baton Rouge.

Quote Tweet

O0iSX87a_normal.jpg

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander
· 5h

Matt McMahon has agreed to be the next coach at LSU, a source confirms to CBS Sports. @JonRothstein first here, I believe.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Now when Maryland is ready to hire Kim in 5 years coming off back-to-back Sweet 16s, we can bring Tony home from College Park. Super convenient for everyone involved lol.

Yep, can scratch my St Peter’s theory off the list and now go forward with the ultimate master plan.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Konkol comes to Tulsa following seven seasons at LA Tech, where he compiled a 153-75 record. He won 46 games in his first two seasons, the most for any previous LA Tech head coach, and his 153 career victories is the third-highest win total in school history. Konkol's teams produced six seasons with 20+ wins and finished among the top 3 in Conference USA standings five of his seven years.

Konkol returns to where he began his start in collegiate coaching. He was a student assistant coach for Tulsa's 2001 NIT Championship team under Head Coach Buzz Peterson."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Rumors swirling about Kevin Willard’s new staff at Maryland. Sounds like he’s bringing DMV native Tony Skinn (assistant at Ohio State), Seton Hall associate head coach Grant Billmeier (if he doesn’t get the SHU job), and also hearing that former URI head coach David Cox is in the mix (another DMV guy).

Name that I’ve heard at George Washington include Yale’s James Jones, Miami associate head coach Chris Caputo, former Louisville interim head coach Mike Pegues, and a current Big Ten assistant."

KAOriginal

All-American

"Konkol comes to Tulsa following seven seasons at LA Tech, where he compiled a 153-75 record. He won 46 games in his first two seasons, the most for any previous LA Tech head coach, and his 153 career victories is the third-highest win total in school history. Konkol's teams produced six seasons with 20+ wins and finished among the top 3 in Conference USA standings five of his seven years.

Konkol returns to where he began his start in collegiate coaching. He was a student assistant coach for Tulsa's 2001 NIT Championship team under Head Coach Buzz Peterson."

Very Larranaga.....quietly build and win over long term and not just jump around......

KAOriginal

All-American
"Rumors swirling about Kevin Willard’s new staff at Maryland. Sounds like he’s bringing DMV native Tony Skinn (assistant at Ohio State), Seton Hall associate head coach Grant Billmeier (if he doesn’t get the SHU job), and also hearing that former URI head coach David Cox is in the mix (another DMV guy).

Name that I’ve heard at George Washington include Yale’s James Jones, Miami associate head coach Chris Caputo, former Louisville interim head coach Mike Pegues, and a current Big Ten assistant."

Smart....they are going to reclaim the DMV for hometown talent....English and other schools better get on their recruiting game.