2022 Coaching Carousel

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
50m

As @SethDavisHoops reports, Chris Mack will not return as Louisville's head coach, a source confirmed. Official announcement expected for Wednesday. Assistant Mike Pegues is expected to be Louisville's interim head coach, starting with Saturday's game against Duke.

Seth Davis
@SethDavisHoops
·
1h

A source has confirmed to ⁦@TheAthletic that Chris Mack and Louisville are finalizing a separation agreement pending Board approval tomorrow. Louisville, coach Chris Mack negotiating final stages of separation agreement: Source via@TheAthletic

theathletic.com
Louisville, coach Chris Mack negotiating final stages of separation agreement: Source
Nothing is finalized but the widespread expectation in Louisville is that Mack has coached his last game there.

ephoops

Starter

Maybe.

However, it looks like the current Bucknell coach will be fired after the season -- he's done a terrible job after all of Paulsen's recruits graduated from Bucknell. If he's not fired, the Board at Bucknell should fire both the coach and the AD.

It's highly unlikely that Paulsen will get the opportunity to return to Bucknell, but the program is awful right now and Paulsen was very successful during his tenure as HC.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe.

However, it looks like the current Bucknell coach will be fired after the season -- he's done a terrible job after all of Paulsen's recruits graduated from Bucknell. If he's not fired, the Board at Bucknell should fire both the coach and the AD.

It's highly unlikely that Paulsen will get the opportunity to return to Bucknell, but the program is awful right now and Paulsen was very successful during his tenure as HC.
From everything I've seen, the fans would love to have him back.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
From everything I've seen, the fans would love to have him back.
I believe there also is some belief in the Bucknell fanbase that Dane Fischer was really the brains behind Dave's success and they wouldnt' take him back unless they had Dane.

We'll see.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is that 3-14 Dane Fischer?
the second Nathan Knight left W+M so did the wins... Fischer like DP is a total fraud. Got lucky with one 7 footer and the gravy train began. I think Bucknell should take DP back considering D3 Bowdoin College didn't want to hire him.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is that 3-14 Dane Fischer?
Lol, knew someone would reference that, but yes. Apparently Dane was great being the brains for Dave, but just like Dave at a higher level, he has struggled as a head coach.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I think Bucknell should take DP back considering D3 Bowdoin College didn't want to hire him.

If they don't, somebody else at that level should. He took over a 12-19 program, finished second in his second season and first in four of the next 5 seasons.

He didn't get it done at Mason to the standard that was expected, but if you look at his last 4 seasons (5th, 5th, 12th & 4th) he was still an above average A10 Coach and left behind a program that had no graduation or behavioral issues and no NCAA sanctions or investigations for shady operations.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
the second Nathan Knight left W+M so did the wins... Fischer like DP is a total fraud. Got lucky with one 7 footer and the gravy train began. I think Bucknell should take DP back considering D3 Bowdoin College didn't want to hire him.
Total fraud comment is totally unfair.
He won a national championship at Williams and was very successful at Bucknell. His Mason career was average, but as has been pointed he ran a trouble free program.

ephoops

Starter

Such an inane comment.

Mason’s program was a dumpster fire when Paulsen arrived - and that comparison is an insult to dumpster fires.

While he did not bring the program back to NCAA or NIT tournament, he did bring the program back to respectability.

His success at Williams and Bucknell is unquestioned.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
17h

The Board of Trustees just approved the separation agreement between Chris Mack and the school. His buyout, which was originally set ar $12 million in his contract, was agreed at $4.8 million, sources told ESPN.

Quote Tweet

D2E_lw-H_normal.jpg

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello
· 18h

It’s official: Chris Mack is out at Louisville. Mike Pegues will take over as interim head coach.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Board of Trustees just approved the separation agreement between Chris Mack and the school. His buyout, which was originally set ar $12 million in his contract, was agreed at $4.8 million, sources told ESPN.
Gotta wonder what would cause him to negotiate down from $12 mill. He either hated the job so much he wanted to get away ASAP (which seems to contradict a few articles) or there must have been some sort of leverage the school had to negotiate him down, but that neither side wanted to go public. Are there other options I am not thinking of?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Gotta wonder what would cause him to negotiate down from $12 mill. He either hated the job so much he wanted to get away ASAP (which seems to contradict a few articles) or there must have been some sort of leverage the school had to negotiate him down, but that neither side wanted to go public. Are there other options I am not thinking of?

I think what Guadio said was true and school allowed him to save face and walk away with less.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I think what Guadio said was true and school allowed him to save face and walk away with less.

"Mack has three-years remaining on a 7-year contract that pays him $4.25 million annually, making him the 10th highest paid coach in college basketball. But that contract also allows the university to fire him for cause if the NCAA finds him guilty of a Level 2 violation. With a pair of Level 2 allegations hanging over him, speculation had ramped up in recent weeks over the possibility of a settlement between Mack and the university."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Apparently the separation agreement required Mack to only say good things about Louisville.