3h

SEC Hires:

Georgia: Mike White
Missouri: Dennis Gates
Mississippi State: Chris Jans
Florida: Todd Golden
LSU: Matt McMahon
South Carolina: Lamont Paris

One coach who got out before he was let go, and 5 other mid-major coaches.

Tough to poach guys from other high-major spots.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
3h

SEC Hires:

Georgia: Mike White
Missouri: Dennis Gates
Mississippi State: Chris Jans
Florida: Todd Golden
LSU: Matt McMahon
South Carolina: Lamont Paris

One coach who got out before he was let go, and 5 other mid-major coaches.

Tough to poach guys from other high-major spots.
Very underwhelming hires

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If UMass really is gonna pay Schmidt $1.8M per, Mason will be one of the few A-10 schools whose HC makes less than $1M.

Something to keep our eye on going forward — table stakes are going up big time in the league, hopefully Dr. W is prepared to compete at that level.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Something to keep our eye on going forward — table stakes are going up big time in the league, hopefully Dr. W is prepared to compete at that level.
I'd argue that 'keeping up with the Jones' has always been something to keep an eye on regardless of what conference we were in. There is a thread somewhere on here from our later days in the CAA where I posted the stats on salaries and other basketball investments and we were well behind vcu, ODU, JMU and UNCW. Spending the most doesn't always result in winning the most, but Im sure there is some correlation between the two.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Interesting situation at UMass. Mark Blaudschun reported earlier today that St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt is the choice and that he will sign a $1.8MM/yr deal. Now it sounds like that’s not the case, and a decision on Schmidt’s part has not been made. The Bonnies are still alive and on to the NIT Final Four after beating 3 straight HM’s on their home courts. More on this situation as I hear it.

Word on the street is that Bonzi Wells is interviewing at Ball State. The former NBA player and Muncie, IN native is currently the head coach at D2 LeMoyne-Owen College. I’ve also now heard Purdue assistant Terry Johnson mentioned here in addition to the names that I talked about in yesterday’s DD.

Yesterday, I mentioned James Miller as a possible replacement for Chris Jans at New Mexico State. More named making the rounds now include Northwest Florida head coach Greg Heiar (fresh off of an NJCAA D1 National Championship), former Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall, and TCU assistant Duane Broussard."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Pete Thamel

@PeteThamel
·
2m

Source: Chris Jans’ contract at Mississippi State is four years and will start at $2.4 million this season. He’s eligible foe $650,000 in performance incentives. (State of Mississippi laws don’t allow contracts longer than four years.)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If UMass really is gonna pay Schmidt $1.8M per, Mason will be one of the few A-10 schools whose HC makes less than $1M.

If Dr. Washington is as serious about basketball and the program competing as he has stated and acted in the last 2 years, there should not be a problem for Mason going forward. The minute Kim even comes close to the NIT or NCAA he will have to give a nice raise to 1.3 or 1.5 guaranteed if not more Probably more the NCAA than the NIT, but considering where Mason has been for 11 years, he will get a raise if he comes very close to either.

I'll have to look again, but my guess is with the incentives he might come close to that range already or in the ballpark.

They had to have known this when they got English, that 1m guaranteed was just the tip of the iceberg and not the top of the mountain. If they don't, then he will be gone very quickly and we all once again will question Mason's commitment to athletics. I'd be shocked if Brad and Dr. W aren't aware of the landscape and costs to compete considering that was one of the many reasons that they got rid of Dave.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd argue that 'keeping up with the Jones' has always been something to keep an eye on regardless of what conference we were in. There is a thread somewhere on here from our later days in the CAA where I posted the stats on salaries and other basketball investments and we were well behind vcu, ODU, JMU and UNCW. Spending the most doesn't always result in winning the most, but Im sure there is some correlation between the two.
Right, but this is a significant escalation — Rhode Island is paying Miller $1.8M per and now UMass and Bona are rumored to both be at that number for Schmidt. Dayton, SLU, vcu, Richmond and Duquesne also pay their coaches more than $1M. Just saying I hope Mason is ready to ante up when Kim starts winning (and he will).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Dr. Washington is as serious about basketball and the program competing as he has stated and acted in the last 2 years, there should not be a problem for Mason going forward. The minute Kim even comes close to the NIT or NCAA he will have to give a nice raise to 1.3 or 1.5 guaranteed if not more Probably more the NCAA than the NIT, but considering where Mason has been for 11 years, he will get a raise if he comes very close to either.

I'll have to look again, but my guess is with the incentives he might come close to that range already or in the ballpark.

They had to have known this when they got English, that 1m guaranteed was just the tip of the iceberg and not the top of the mountain. If they don't, then he will be gone very quickly and we all once again will question Mason's commitment to athletics. I'd be shocked if Brad and Dr. W aren't aware of the landscape and costs to compete considering that was one of the many reasons that they got rid of Dave.

No bonus for an NIT, but there are bonuses for winning 20 games, winning the regular season, conference championships and then escalating bonuses for whatever NCAA round he gets to (50k for each round up to Elite 8, 75k for Final Four, 100k for Championship appearance, an extra 100k for winning the whole thing).

So, winning the regular and conference tourney would be 40k + 50k for round of 64x a Sweet 16 run would be an extra 100k = 190k

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No bonus for an NIT, but there are bonuses for winning 20 games, winning the regular season, conference championships and then escalating bonuses for whatever NCAA round he gets to (50k for each round up to Elite 8, 75k for Final Four, 100k for Championship appearance, an extra 100k for winning the whole thing).

So, winning the regular and conference tourney would be 40k + 50k for round of 64x a Sweet 16 run would be an extra 100k = 190k
Yep- I knew there wasn't a bonus for the NIT, but I can't help but think that if English makes the NIT, he'll get a raise considering where Mason has been as a program.

I wouldn't be shocked if he also gets the 1 year courtesy raise and extension that Dave got too.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep- I knew there wasn't a bonus for the NIT, but I can't help but think that if English makes the NIT, he'll get a raise considering where Mason has been as a program.

I wouldn't be shocked if he also gets the 1 year courtesy raise and extension that Dave got too.

I would think so too.