2022 Coaching Carousel

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Based on some Mizzou fans’ comments, they think “Kimmie” may have some bad feelings about the Mizzou fans. They turned on him after he said some things about how Blacks were treated at the university and in Colombia.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’ve mentioned LaVall Jordan a bajillion times in this scenario and he spent one year at Milwaukee (his first head coaching gig), lost 20+ games and Butler still came calling. Of course, he hasn’t accomplished much there, so it could be a warning of taking an alum before they’re ready. But I’d put it at a non-zero chance he is interviewed.

His statements seem to indicate he wants to build something here and that he likes a basketball focused conference, so I’d be more scared if a good Big East or ACC job opens up, but…

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Will Wade is out. LSU must’ve made him a strong-a** ultimatum.

Guess you can’t be under FBI investigation AND have a mediocre record. Only winners get to get caught cheating & keep their jobs.
More details on Wade's firing:

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
22m

Sources: Frank Haith will not return as Tulsa's head coach next season.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"Kim English (George Mason)–The former MU standout was a rising star as an assistant coach at Tulsa, Colorado and Tennessee before he assumed his first head coaching opportunity at George Mason this past season. His team upset power conference teams Maryland and Georgia. Despite just a single season as head coach, English, 33, has more power conference experience as an assistant than Kruger, and is seen as a great developer of talent, which was one of the critiques of the Martin era. The question isn't so much ‘is English ready'. He'll be a power conference head coach sooner than later. The question is if the resources will be there to match the expectations that come with being an alum in charge of the program. Fair or not, this will be compared to the Kim Anderson experiment."
This is scary

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Not scary. Too many fans remember how badly their last returning hero did.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Frank Haith resigns from Tulsa. 11-20 this season. He was at Missouri and left there to go to Tulsa?? Isn't that odd?? Leave before you get fired.....pretty smart...prolong job security.

Isn't he KE's mentor or idol or something??

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tend to agree but . . .

1. With his connection to Mizzou, they won't have done their due diligence without taking a look at Kim.

2. Kim interviews really well.

I don't think he is ready, but I'll put it a small, small non-zero chance.
Think he stays @GMU. It's safe here.

Taking a P5 gig at this point in his career is just too risky, because if he wins at a .500 clip in a very tough SEC, it's a fire-able offense and his coaching career is seriously jeopardized. But I also do not think it makes sense for a program like Mizzou to roll the dice on an unproven commodity. They need a proven winner in order to justify the Martin firing, which I view as a bad move on their part, but whatever.

If I were the AD no way would I hire English. If he doesn't win right away, the knives are out for me and alumni are pointing to his losing record at GMU as a reason I should be run out of town.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know we all went to a university where boosters don't run a damn thing, but if there's enough athletic department money behind Mizzou bringing in CKE, then that's what they're going to do.
This is a fair point -- boosters at SEC schools make the McKay family look like a small time donor. The amount of private money that flies around those programs is insanity.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Mizzou’s AD has a history of bringing in proven Coaches from smaller conferences.

Frankly, the team struggled down the stretch and underperformed. I’m still behind CKE but I’d be surprised if an SEC program thought he was ready for a rebuild based on what they’ve seen this year.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Mizzou’s AD has a history of bringing in proven Coaches from smaller conferences.

Frankly, the team struggled down the stretch and underperformed. I’m still behind CKE but I’d be surprised if an SEC program thought he was ready for a rebuild based on what they’ve seen this year.
I’m frankly not sure what “ready” has to do with it.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Other SEC programs are bringing in big name coaches and are paying them well. No way an AD can hire KE now. That said, my biggest concern is that it will take a lot of money to get a top coach to Columbia and the university may not be willing to pay. I fully expect their first 2 or 3 choices will turn them down. Is KE fourth on their list? Maybe

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
back to he said she said between Barnes who extorted his current school to be WAY overpaid vs UCLA who mucked up the entire coaching search multiple times and stories have changed multiple times. Maybe Maryland will take him
WAY overpaid Coach just won Tennessee’s first SEC since 1979, beating Kentucky in the process and almost certainly knocking them out of a 1 seed.

I imagine Maryland would take him.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
WAY overpaid Coach just won Tennessee’s first SEC since 1979, beating Kentucky in the process and almost certainly knocking them out of a 1 seed.

I imagine Maryland would take him.
Chris Mooney too will be getting a blank check after his teams performance. ElITE coach

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
2h

Sources: Pat Chambers is finalizing a contract to be the next head coach at Florida Gulf Coast. Official announcement expected soon.

Former head coach at both Penn State and Boston University. Was an assistant at La Salle this past season.