2022 Coaching Carousel

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t read twitter or a few news outlets who are saying CKE is one of the top candidates. It would not shock me if they did go after him as he would be cheaper now than he would be in a couple more years if he is successful here.
I’ve read Twitter. English would be nothing more than a nostalgic hire at this point In his young, unproven career. The Murray State and San Fran coaches are infinitely more qualified to take over that program right now.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Worst case, If Missouri wants Kim they will take him. I just wonder if it was all part of the plan. Wink wink, take Mason job for a year, we'll fire Martin, you get the job....don't even have to move the family.

Gaines, Fernandez Dinkins Oduro all leave. We are the new doormat. Yikes!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Worst case, If Missouri wants Kim they will take him. I just wonder if it was all part of the plan. Wink wink, take Mason job for a year, we'll fire Martin, you get the job....don't even have to move the family.

Yeah reality is if Mizzou wants Kim and Kim wants Mizzou, there is nothing Mason can do about it. So no sense worrying about something we literally have no control over … just have to wait and see what happens.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah reality is if Mizzou wants Kim and Kim wants Mizzou, there is nothing Mason can do about it. So no sense worrying about something we literally have no control over … just have to wait and see what happens.
The free market giveth; the free market taketh. I guess we'll know which way this is going in a couple of weeks, if not sooner. If English leaves, from this point forward I want nothing to do with shiny, buzz-worthy assistant coaches from P5 conferences, with no connection to our program.

Give me a young, up and coming mid-major head coach, with a record of success. Or, just go ahead and hire Tony Skinn (as we maybe should have done from the jump).

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The free market giveth; the free market taketh. I guess we'll know which way this is going in a couple of weeks, if not sooner. If English leaves, from this point forward I want nothing to do with shiny, buzz-worthy assistant coaches from P5 conferences, with no connection to our program.

Give me a young, up and coming mid-major head coach, with a record of success. Or, just go ahead and hire Tony Skinn (as we maybe should have done from the jump).
Taking the Mizzu job is not without risks for English. They'll give him the same amount of time as they did Martin.

If he doesn't do better than Martin, he might be done as a P5-caliber head coach - well before he reaches 40. Didn't have success at Mason, under-delivered at Mizzu...he'll never get another chance at that level again, and will be looking at a career as an assistant, or HC gigs at modest mid-majors (e.g., ODU).

Much better to follow the Shaka road map. First build a winning program at Mason. That gives KE the freedom to take the bigger gig (Texas) and then land softly at another P5 program (Marquette), if need be, giving him another opportunity to demonstrate his value -- while remaining a relatively young and compelling coaching hire for the big schools going forward.

For these reasons, I think English stays. If he had managed to win 20-22 games this year, he might very well be gone after one year (a la Barnes).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Come on, man, I realize doom and gloom is your shtick, but even you can’t believe half of the shit you post.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I do get the sentiment. We're a moribund program (over the past 10-12 years) so are always going to be skittish about the worst-case scenario.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, man, I realize doom and gloom is your shtick, but even you can’t believe half of the shit you post.

Haaaa, Tom is scared. It's okay to see all the possible scenarios.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I get the nervousness (hell I’m even nervous) until Missouri hires someone else but I think @Earl the Squirrel hit the nail on the head. English is nothing but hype at this juncture. He hasn’t won anything. He didn’t even win a conference tournament quarterfinal.

If Missouri and Kim want to completely gamble at this juncture, there’s nothing we can do. But I can’t see why either party would want that today. Kim could kill his career before it gets started.

Hopefully he follows the Shaka path like it was said, because I definitely see that as part of the plan. If it’s 3 years from now and things are really good, it’s a completely different situation.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Would it be ironic if we lost Barnes after one season, then lost a coach we got from Barnes’ staff after one season too?

I was thinking the same thing.

I think too many people in this thread are looking at his first year of coaching only and discounting the recruiting aspect.

Mizzou has finished bottom-half in the SEC *for years* when it comes to recruiting. CKE could get the players they need and he's proven he can win in the transfer portal. And Mizzou would give him the time needed.

Now I'm not saying he's leaving, but I also don't think it'd be as shocking a development as others.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Mizzou was the only school I was worried about this early in his career… but, I don’t think he really helped his cause this year. We all know after watching us down the stretch he’s not ready yet. He’ll be ready someday, just not yet.

This is a lot like when a Mason job opens and everyone throws out Butler and Skinn when there are way more qualified options.

The one thing Kim can do at the SEC level is recruit, and even that took a hit this year - see Cam Walker.

Of course, I would be crushed if Kim left, so maybe this is just me trying to convince myself he’ll be back next year.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Kim English (George Mason)–The former MU standout was a rising star as an assistant coach at Tulsa, Colorado and Tennessee before he assumed his first head coaching opportunity at George Mason this past season. His team upset power conference teams Maryland and Georgia. Despite just a single season as head coach, English, 33, has more power conference experience as an assistant than Kruger, and is seen as a great developer of talent, which was one of the critiques of the Martin era. The question isn't so much ‘is English ready'. He'll be a power conference head coach sooner than later. The question is if the resources will be there to match the expectations that come with being an alum in charge of the program. Fair or not, this will be compared to the Kim Anderson experiment."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mizzou was the only school I was worried about this early in his career… but, I don’t think he really helped his cause this year. We all know after watching us down the stretch he’s not ready yet. He’ll be ready someday, just not yet.

This is a lot like when a Mason job opens and everyone throws out Butler and Skinn when there are way more qualified options.

The one thing Kim can do at the SEC level is recruit, and even that took a hit this year - see Cam Walker.

Of course, I would be crushed if Kim left, so maybe this is just me trying to convince myself he’ll be back next year.
Lol it didn’t take a hit due to Cam Walker… nobody cares or cared about that. Recruits committing crimes also happen more frequently than you think

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I was thinking the same thing.

I think too many people in this thread are looking at his first year of coaching only and discounting the recruiting aspect.

Mizzou has finished bottom-half in the SEC *for years* when it comes to recruiting. CKE could get the players they need and he's proven he can win in the transfer portal. And Mizzou would give him the time needed.

Now I'm not saying he's leaving, but I also don't think it'd be as shocking a development as others.
I think people are attaching logic to the situation.

Has Kim done enough in his one year as a HC to earn a P5 job? I think even he would admit he has not.

Is he ready for it? Maybe.

He obviously can recruit at the SEC level, starting with the 2 guards he would take with him from Mason to Missouri.

But it’s his alma mater and he was a very good player there. Qualified for the job or not, it would not be the craziest thing ever for their AD to try to stoke fan excitement by tapping into those memories — and if offered I bet it would be exceedingly difficult for Kim to say no.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Also if Kim does leave and Tony isn’t given very serious consideration, Mason is doing this all wrong.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't see why he stays. His kids are there. Case closed.