2022 Coaching Carousel

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I now think there is at least a 25% chance Mizzou will offer the job to CKE. I think that because other, better openings will snag Mizzou's top candidates.

From https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_acb6aac6-5108-5e1a-9b8a-6d8571d24f5d.html

"George Mason’s Kim English will get a look. The 33-year-old former Tigers player didn’t have a great debut season as a head coach at 14-16 — George Mason’s winning percentage was its worst in six years — but his candidacy is all about upside and recruiting. English’s fingerprints are all over the Tennessee roster that just won its first SEC tournament since 1979 plus last year’s NBA draft class that included two Vols in the first 28 picks. A coach’s ability to capitalize on the name, image and likeness looms large over this job and English is the one potential candidate who has the established cache to connect with the most influential dealmakers in the local market. Several are already on board, multiple sources say."
I have a very bad feeling about this. Hoping like hell that I’m wrong.

Mizzou Man

Walk-On
I now think there is at least a 25% chance Mizzou will offer the job to CKE. I think that because Mizzou's top candidates will likely choose other schools over Mizzou.

From https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_acb6aac6-5108-5e1a-9b8a-6d8571d24f5d.html

"George Mason’s Kim English will get a look. The 33-year-old former Tigers player didn’t have a great debut season as a head coach at 14-16 — George Mason’s winning percentage was its worst in six years — but his candidacy is all about upside and recruiting. English’s fingerprints are all over the Tennessee roster that just won its first SEC tournament since 1979 plus last year’s NBA draft class that included two Vols in the first 28 picks. A coach’s ability to capitalize on the name, image and likeness looms large over this job and English is the one potential candidate who has the established cache to connect with the most influential dealmakers in the local market. Several are already on board, multiple sources say."

There does seem to be quite a bit of momentum within our fan base on this one. There have been reports of Dana Altman and Mizzou of having mutual interest but that seems like a longshot to me for a variety of reasons. Kim English has lots of influential boosters in his corner. The timing is not great for George Mason I realize, but I am sensing he could be the favorite. I have absolutely no inside information though, so I could be completely off base.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Grant seems like an obvious one to me. Bounced back from his Alabama stint at Dayton and is part of that Donovan coaching tree.
But Grant has a very young and talented group at Dayton, which is his alma mater if I remember correctly. Not sure how much more the UF job will pay to overcome all that.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There does seem to be quite a bit of momentum within our fan base on this one. There have been reports of Dana Altman and Mizzou of having mutual interest but that seems like a longshot to me for a variety of reasons. Kim English has lots of influential boosters in his corner. The timing is not great for George Mason I realize, but I am sensing he could be the favorite. I have absolutely no inside information though, so I could be completely off base.
Wouldn’t blame Mizzou one bit for wanting him — he’s going to be a star — but yeah that would be a huge nut punch to lose him after one year.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
If he does leave this quickly, it puts Mason in a very bad place. Fernandez likely to go with him and maybe even Josh. I know we were taking a bit of a gamble on his hire and expected him to leave in the intermediate future anyway, but this is not a good scenario. Disappointing year and an A10 finish below DP's average and a rebuild needed to get back just where we were 2 years ago.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Thanks for your insights, Mizzou Man. But you do know that English can’t coach worth a damn, right? Tell all your Mizzou friends. Too big a risk for MU to take. Look into that Mike Rhoades guy at vcu. Rhoades is a much better candidate

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
But Grant has a very young and talented group at Dayton, which is his alma mater if I remember correctly. Not sure how much more the UF job will pay to overcome all that.

Mike White was making over $3 million a year. Reports out there say that Grant's making a little more than $1.6 at Dayton. I'd say the increase is rather significant.

Mizzou Man

Walk-On
Thanks for your insights, Mizzou Man. But you do know that English can’t coach worth a damn, right? Tell all your Mizzou friends. Too big a risk for MU to take. Look into that Mike Rhoades guy at vcu. Rhoades is a much better candidate

Lulz. If we were to poach another A10 coach I think Anthony Grant would be the guy. But I think it'll take a great offer to leave Dayton and the timely opening of the Florida job makes a lot more sense.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Lulz. If we were to poach another A10 coach I think Anthony Grant would be the guy. But I think it'll take a great offer to leave Dayton and the timely opening of the Florida job makes a lot more sense.
If I were Mizzou’s AD, I would take any of the A10 coaches that finished in the top eight. The rest are trash. You should be able to get a good deal on Jamion Christian.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Rhoades actually would make some kind of sense for Mizzou. As good of a recruiter as English. And plays that full-court high energy 40 minute defense they were known for when English played there.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Unfortunately, this could drag out for two to five weeks. Missouri can pursue numerous other coaches knowing that if they get turned down by everyone, English will still be available. No other programs are interested in him after this season.

Hopefully, CKE will remember that he was George Mason's first choice.

KAOriginal

All-American
Question is...if CKE leaves with Oduro, Fernandez and everyone else heading for the door....is next year a bigger dumpster fire than the Hewitt departure?