2020-2021 Schedule Thread

OP
Five Two

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Georgetown has a certain scheduling philosophy and we don't fit into it. They gain nothing from playing us or GW. Richmond isn't in their backyard so we can't use that comparison.

Georgetown doesnt want to play Maryland either. Its not that they don't want to play a difficult OOC; this year they played Penn St (part of Gavitt Tipoff), Texas and Duke (part of 2K Classic), Oklahoma St, SMU and Syracuse. But a series with Maryland means 1/2 of Capital One gets filled with Terp fans for a Hoya home game. Conversely, the game at College Park is 95% Terp fans. Yes, when Syracuse comes to town there are a lot of SU fans in the stands, but its nothing like when UMD plays in DC.

I would love a Philly-type set up for schools in the DMV, but until Georgetown and Maryland gain from such a set up, its not happening. 'Good for college basketball' doesnt mean its good for Georgetown or Maryland.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hmmmmm....maybe a good ole fashion calling out/trash talk on twitter would do the trick to get a game vs Gtown?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Georgetown has a certain scheduling philosophy and we don't fit into it. They gain nothing from playing us or GW. Richmond isn't in their backyard so we can't use that comparison.

Georgetown doesnt want to play Maryland either. Its not that they don't want to play a difficult OOC; this year they played Penn St (part of Gavitt Tipoff), Texas and Duke (part of 2K Classic), Oklahoma St, SMU and Syracuse. But a series with Maryland means 1/2 of Capital One gets filled with Terp fans for a Hoya home game. Conversely, the game at College Park is 95% Terp fans. Yes, when Syracuse comes to town there are a lot of SU fans in the stands, but its nothing like when UMD plays in DC.

I would love a Philly-type set up for schools in the DMV, but until Georgetown and Maryland gain from such a set up, its not happening. 'Good for college basketball' doesnt mean its good for Georgetown or Maryland.

I agree with 99.5% of your post ... only issue is Villanova (and to a lesser extent Temple) don’t really “gain” anything from playing Saint Joe’s, La Salle and Penn. The Big 5 still exists because of history and tradition.

As much as we’d all love it, I don’t see DC ever having something similar because unlike the Philly schools, Maryland and Georgetown have never looked at Mason and GW as basketball peers ... and they never will.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I agree with 99.5% of your post ... only issue is Villanova (and to a lesser extent Temple) don’t really “gain” anything from playing Saint Joe’s, La Salle and Penn. The Big 5 still exists because of history and tradition.

Let's also give some credit to Jay Wright - https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-big-5-villanova-temple-penn-st-joes-la-salle:

"The Philadelphia Big 5 has survived over half a century thanks in part to the coaches of the member schools. Villanova's Jay Wright is known as the modern godfather of the Big 5, as he grants all four opponents a home/away series. Without Jay Wright's kindness, generosity and respect for Philadelphia tradition, the Big 5 would not be what it is today.

Few programs of Villanova's caliber would hand out so many road games to Atlantic 10 and Ivy League schools. La Salle's Dr. John Giannini recently said that he fully understood that the Big 5 was the only reason why a school like Villanova would ever play a program like La Salle on the road. "

OP
Five Two

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But I would say that history and tradition IS what Villanova or Temple gain. Now, if there was no Big 5 and they were trying to get one started, it doesn't get done, IMO.

The other thing that helps Philly is that Villanova can play the road game against La Salla or St Joe's at the Palestra. I know La Salle was the home team at the Palestra last year or the year before against Nova. I guess Maryland could say to GW/AU/Howard/Mason that we'll do a home-and-home but we are only playing if its College Park and the Mystics/GoGo arena. But we (GW/AU/Howard/Mason) don't have that history or tradition of playing there since its only a year old compared to the Philly schools have all used the Palestra to some extent over the past half-century.

DC Events is trying to gain traction with college hoops for the new arena. As part of the CAA's deal to have the tournament there, there are also one and two day double headers involving CAA teams. Problem is, the CAA teams are playing schools they would otherwise be able to get home-and-home deals with on their own. UNCW played FIU and Cleveland State there in November as part of a 2 day, 4 team event (Eastern Kentucky was the 4th team). They basically gave away tickets to local youth organizations so it wouldn't be empty.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
No good teams want to play us. If they lose it's a horrible loss. If they win it's a horrible win against an opponent that simply doesn't matter. That's why we had stellar opponents like American, Loyola, LIU, Longwood, Jacksonville St., and UMBC on the schedule last year.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No good teams want to play us. If they lose it's a horrible loss. If they win it's a horrible win against an opponent that simply doesn't matter. That's why we had stellar opponents like American, Loyola, LIU, Longwood, Jacksonville St., and UMBC on the schedule last year.

I guarantee you we could load up on P5 road games if we wanted to, but none of them would have return games attached to them.

Instead, we should be trying to schedule home-and-homes with the better mid-major teams.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I guarantee you we could load up on P5 road games if we wanted to, but none of them would have return games attached to them.

Instead, we should be trying to schedule home-and-homes with the better mid-major teams.
Good point.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do you think that Paulsen's staff has been trying to do so?
cant be working that hard at it because I’m positive coaches would want to play near dc area hot bed so their recruits can come and see. This is an excellent question though. I get west coast mid majors not coming here but Midwest and south especially seem to be no Brainers to me

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
cant be working that hard at it because I’m positive coaches would want to play near dc area hot bed so their recruits can come and see. This is an excellent question though. I get west coast mid majors not coming here but Midwest and south especially seem to be no Brainers to me

I’m sure they’ve worked at it, but scheduling isn’t the easiest thing in the world. I’ve heard Dave mention that Eaglebank is a busy place and they also sometimes have to schedule two years out.

not excuses but I’m sure they are trying. few buy games are good but it’d be nice to have a home and home too. I think Odu is a home and home so there’s 1.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Bobby Boden took FSU on the road alot when he first took over. Going on the road shows the players what it takes to be the best. But I guess these days they just transfer bc they think they will be P5 material by soph yr. Or maybe this is just my fear for our program.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen continuing that Northeast recruiting pipeline!
Can you explain to me how bringing one of the worst schools from the north east to fairfax improves our pipeline up there? Genuinely curious as to the logic on this.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
we are hosting Maine Nov. 24. Woot! Time for MaineJeff to take over the Boards!

Maine's overall records for the last 16 seasons:

2004–05: 14-15 (.483)
2005–06: 12-16 (.429)
2006–07: 12-18 (.400 )
2007-08: 7-23 (.233)
2008-09: 9-21 (.300)
2009-10: 19-11 (.633)
2010-11: 15-15 (.500)
2011-12: 12-17 (.431)
2012-13: 11- 19 (.366)
2013-14: 6-23 (.206 )
2014-15: 3-27 (.100)