2020-2021 Schedule Thread

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bad for the league in trying to get multiple bids. I get why they would consider it but this isn’t a good look for mid majors unless we get a A10-MWC going each year with other top mid majors

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bad for the league in trying to get multiple bids. I get why they would consider it but this isn’t a good look for mid majors unless we get a A10-MWC going each year with other top mid majors

The AAC is the only other "conference" really worth doing this (meaning all of the other mid-major conferences have maybe one or two really good teams and then a steep drop-off after that), but they probably think of themselves as a P5 and wouldn't want to play us (like Cincy, Memphis, Houston, etc. don't have a problem scheduling P5 games). Maybe the WCC also, but Gonzaga would never agree to it and then what's the point?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The AAC is the only other "conference" really worth doing this (meaning all of the other mid-major conferences have maybe one or two really good teams and then a steep drop-off after that), but they probably think of themselves as a P5 and wouldn't want to play us (like Cincy, Memphis, Houston, etc. don't have a problem scheduling P5 games). Maybe the WCC also, but Gonzaga would never agree to it and then what's the point?
Cross over games with AAC, CUSA, WCC or WAC are better than bringing in 3 shitty patriot league teams per year like we currently do.

Gonzaga may not like it but programs like ST Mary’s and San Francisco should be all over this.

teams shouldn’t want to go into conference play knowing they need to win the A10 tournament to get a bid because of piss poor weak a** OOC scheduling. Majority of the teams in A10 and other 4 mid majors other than the vcu’s and Gonzaga’s of the world should want better OOC schedules since the power 5 will soon stop scheduling them in entirety

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No, I agree, but for most it will have to be a conscious choice between individual teams scheduling home and homes.

Would love to add the AAC to the MWC to the annual A10 slate, though.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No, I agree, but for most it will have to be a conscious choice between individual teams scheduling home and homes.

Would love to add the AAC to the MWC to the annual A10 slate, though.
I don’t think it will. Power 5 conferences are currently forcing our hands. It’s a natural fit to do yearly mid major “classics” or whatever we want to call them.

ephoops

Starter
If the A-10 adds two additional conference games, they should consider keeping the current 18-game format and then have the last two games (in the first week of March) as open dates with the top half of the league plays against each other to enhance strength of schedule and put more teams in position for an at-large bid the the NCAA tournament.

For instance, this year you could take the top seven teams after 18 games and then schedule games among those seven. The top seven teams this year were Dayton, Richmond, URI, St. Louis, Duquesne, SBU and Davidson.

The constraints are as follows:

1. You would not schedule games where the teams have already played twice -- rather schedule games among the teams who have only played each other once.

2. Each team would have one home game and one road game.

3. A team cannot play twice at home against the same team.

In this example, Dayton played URI, vcu and St. Louis twice so they would not play against them for a third time. Dayton played Richmond, Davidson and SBU only once this year. Dayton's game against Richmond was at Richmond and the the games against Davidson and SBU were at Dayton. Under the constraints listed above, Dayton would play Richmond at home and Davidson on the road.

The final two-game schedule for the top seven teams under this scenario is below (the team's home opponent is in bold). This format results is several compelling games and would benefit the league's conference rankings and team's strength of schedule.

Dayton ====> Richmond Davidson
Richmond==> Duquesne Dayton
URI ======> SBU Duquesne
St. Louis ===> Davidson SBU
Duquesne ==> URI Richmond
St. Bonnie ==> SLU URI
Davidson ===> Dayton SLU

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If the A-10 adds two additional conference games, they should consider keeping the current 18-game format and then have the last two games (in the first week of March) as open dates with the top half of the league plays against each other to enhance strength of schedule and put more teams in position for an at-large bid the the NCAA tournament.

For instance, this year you could take the top seven teams after 18 games and then schedule games among those seven. The top seven teams this year were Dayton, Richmond, URI, St. Louis, Duquesne, SBU and Davidson.

The constraints are as follows:

1. You would not schedule games where the teams have already played twice -- rather schedule games among the teams who have only played each other once.

2. Each team would have one home game and one road game.

3. A team cannot play twice at home against the same team.

In this example, Dayton played URI, vcu and St. Louis twice so they would not play against them for a third time. Dayton played Richmond, Davidson and SBU only once this year. Dayton's game against Richmond was at Richmond and the the games against Davidson and SBU were at Dayton. Under the constraints listed above, Dayton would play Richmond at home and Davidson on the road.

The final two-game schedule for the top seven teams under this scenario is below (the team's home opponent is in bold). This format results is several compelling games and would benefit the league's conference rankings and team's strength of schedule.

Dayton ====> Richmond Davidson
Richmond==> Duquesne Dayton
URI ======> SBU Duquesne
St. Louis ===> Davidson SBU
Duquesne ==> URI Richmond
St. Bonnie ==> SLU URI
Davidson ===> Dayton SLU

Fantastic idea
would you seen the Conference Championship Schedule based on the first 18 game schedule or all 20 league games?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Jon rothstein says mason will play BYU next year in the Junkanoo jam

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Jon rothstein says mason will play BYU next year in the Junkanoo jam

Will be interested to see what our scheduling looks like for next year. Do we take on more challenges with an older more experienced squad? Or do we go patty cake again to get the total wins up going into conference play?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Will be interested to see what our scheduling looks like for next year. Do we take on more challenges with an older more experienced squad? Or do we go patty cake again to get the total wins up going into conference play?

No matter what, I plan on complaining about it! :chuckle:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Gotta schedule up to give yourself a chance IMHO. Loading up on cupcakes and hoping to get hot in March is not an ideal schedule with a senior- and junior-laden team.

The worst thing would be to win 24 games and not even be on the bubble because we didn’t challenge ourselves enough.

OP
Five Two

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm a believer in scheduling what you think the team can handle. Clearly, the staff didn't think we could handle a difficult OOC . Given when schedules are set, I think the schedule was put together before they knew about Kier's and Boyd's status.

I understand the desire to challenge ourselves and give us a chance to earn an at-large bid, etc, etc. However, put yourself in DP's shoes. He doesnt want to lose. If he thinks we can handle a tougher OOC, then he'll do it. But if he thinks we are going to be about the same as this year (and we have months to argue if that is true or not), I can't imagine he schedules a touch OOC. DP doesn't want to put a schedule together that doesnt make sense for his team. Scheduling is more art, than science. Its different for everyone. I expect Richmond to schedule "up" since they look like they can handle it.

Lets look at it a different way, I would rather be 11-2 going into the A10 portion of our schedule having played a similar OOC as this year than being 4-9 because we played a tougher OOC. We got a bit of press because of our record this year. ABC7 didnt care what our SOS was when they did a feature on us, they just saw 10-1 (or whatever it was at the time). I don't think they are coming to EBA if we were 5-6.
I have no idea what we'll be like next year so I think 4-9 could happen with a tougher OOC. Not saying it will, but it could. Could we also be 9-4? Maybe, but there are too many "ifs" for me to buy into that right now.

Given our financial situation, I do like taking at least 2 buy games. Since we have to play at Fresno St as part of the MWC-A10 deal, I would try and get a buy game out there so we aren't traveling across the country for 1 game.

I'm probably in the minority on all this and so be it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm fine with not necessarily having an at-large worthy OOC, provided our SOS isn't so trash it puts us out of contention before conference play even starts (see: Duquesne last year).

As for getting buy game out west while we are there, Fresno is halfway to San Francisco or L.A. so I'd be down for scheduling Cal or Stanford or UCLA or USC while we are out there. They could hop over to Tempe and play ASU and then fly out of Phoenix, too, and I won't complain.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm a believer in scheduling what you think the team can handle. Clearly, the staff didn't think we could handle a difficult OOC . Given when schedules are set, I think the schedule was put together before they knew about Kier's and Boyd's status.

I understand the desire to challenge ourselves and give us a chance to earn an at-large bid, etc, etc. However, put yourself in DP's shoes. He doesnt want to lose. If he thinks we can handle a tougher OOC, then he'll do it. But if he thinks we are going to be about the same as this year (and we have months to argue if that is true or not), I can't imagine he schedules a touch OOC. DP doesn't want to put a schedule together that doesnt make sense for his team. Scheduling is more art, than science. Its different for everyone. I expect Richmond to schedule "up" since they look like they can handle it.

Lets look at it a different way, I would rather be 11-2 going into the A10 portion of our schedule having played a similar OOC as this year than being 4-9 because we played a tougher OOC. We got a bit of press because of our record this year. ABC7 didnt care what our SOS was when they did a feature on us, they just saw 10-1 (or whatever it was at the time). I don't think they are coming to EBA if we were 5-6.
I have no idea what we'll be like next year so I think 4-9 could happen with a tougher OOC. Not saying it will, but it could. Could we also be 9-4? Maybe, but there are too many "ifs" for me to buy into that right now.

Given our financial situation, I do like taking at least 2 buy games. Since we have to play at Fresno St as part of the MWC-A10 deal, I would try and get a buy game out there so we aren't traveling across the country for 1 game.

I'm probably in the minority on all this and so be it.

perfectly said, and agreed on all points.

although what’s the comment about the financial situation or can you not comment further?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m not saying schedule a top 50 schedule or anything but a 250+ OOC schedule is complete bullshit

OP
Five Two

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
perfectly said, and agreed on all points.

although what’s the comment about the financial situation or can you not comment further?
We don't have the largest of budgets in the A10. I think we are in the 8-12th range. Those buy games help. I think we were able to take the UMD and TCU money and buy 3 home games for ourselves. More home games means more inventory for the Learfield team to sell, more tickets, etc, etc.
And with the NCAA not being able to make the conference payouts we thought we were going to get, every dollar counts.