2020-2021 Schedule Thread

patriotchild

Starter
Eck. I hope that’s not the final field. I’m of the opinion we should be looking for more of a challenge to se us up for the potential of an at large next year.

would mean we’d have to get a few serious P5s to play us and won’t be on a neutral court.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Eck. I hope that’s not the final field. I’m of the opinion we should be looking for more of a challenge to se us up for the potential of an at large next year.

would mean we’d have to get a few serious P5s to play us and won’t be on a neutral court.

I think you've got to have some of the better tournaments want you to be there, first.

And, yeah, BYU is a top 100 Kenpom team right now (62), but they also have a ton of seniors on their roster.

Looks like we drew the short straw in the inaugural MWC-A10 challenge. While we're there, can we just schedule guarantee with Stanford or Cal while we're out there (I guess we'd be halfway to either San Francisco and L.A., so I'll throw in USC and UCLA) and make it worthwhile? Or you can swing by Tempe and play ASU (for selfish reasons).

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And I bet its only on flohoops. Come on DP, have we been in back to back tourneys of such low caliber before?

For next year, Id rather play some road games vs fl state, florida, Alabama, etc if we have a hard on for that area. Or like someone said above, go West and play 3 games.

Is every pre season tourney is on TV except Cayman and this Junk?

OP
Five Two

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think you've got to have some of the better tournaments want you to be there, first.

Looks like we drew the short straw in the inaugural MWC-A10 challenge. While we're there, can we just schedule guarantee with Stanford or Cal while we're out there (I guess we'd be halfway to either San Francisco and L.A., so I'll throw in USC and UCLA) and make it worthwhile? Or you can swing by Tempe and play ASU (for selfish reasons).

I think this is the case- we may want to go to the higher profile events, but we need to be invited. We haven't done anything in almost a decade.

I like our strategy of taking 2 buy games and since we do have to go to Fresno, love the idea of taking one while we are out there. We've already got two home-and-homes (JMU and ODU) so no need for more of those. Fill the rest of the slate with home games.

patriotchild

Starter
I get that we have to be invited. But, seems early to lock us into this tournament while we’re on an upward trajectory. We won this years tournament and, in theory will be much more competitive with almost all players returning next year.

I’d like to see if we could get into Charleston or something like that. Otherwise let’s take some buy games instead.

ephoops

Starter
Teams can play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament for a maximum of 31 games. Conference and other postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.

In order to get to 31 regular season games, you need to play in these multi-team tournaments.

OP
Five Two

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I get that we have to be invited. But, seems early to lock us into this tournament while we’re on an upward trajectory. We won this years tournament and, in theory will be much more competitive with almost all players returning next year.
Typically teams get locked in about a year in advance, some even more so.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The Junkanoo Jam this season was a 4 team round-robin tournament played the Thursday, Friday, and Sunday before Thanksgiving. If the same format and dates hold for next season, then we would play all three of Tulsa, BYU, and Boston College. I assume there would also be an on-campus game, unless the proposed rules change for MTEs goes through, in which case MTEs will be capped at 3 games, but we would be able to schedule a 31st game separately.

I also assume that we will be playing at JMU at their fancy new Atlantic Union Bank Center. I wouldn't be surprised if we are one of their first two home games (they have a home game scheduled with UVA next season as part of a 2-for-1, so that is probably the opener for the building, but we could be game two).

Potential 2020 Schedule

Tue. 11/3 (?) UVA at JMU (??)

Sat. 11/6 (?) - Away, at JMU (??)

Sat. 11/13 - Home, vs ODU (link)

Thu. 11/19 (?) - Neutral, vs Tulsa
Fri. 11/20 (?) - Neutral, vs BYU
Sun. 11/22 (?) - Neutral, vs Boston College

Sat. 12/5 - Away, at Fresno State (link)

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And I bet its only on flohoops. Come on DP, have we been in back to back tourneys of such low caliber before?

For next year, Id rather play some road games vs fl state, florida, Alabama, etc if we have a hard on for that area. Or like someone said above, go West and play 3 games.

Is every pre season tourney is on TV except Cayman and this Junk?
If it's any indication for the 2020 version, the 2019 Junkaroo Jam was indeed broadcast on FloHoops. I didn't think FloHoops was that bad to watch, it worked well for me. As far as media exposure, well that's a different story.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If it's any indication for the 2020 version, the 2019 Junkaroo Jam was indeed broadcast on FloHoops. I didn't think FloHoops was that bad to watch, it worked well for me. As far as media exposure, well that's a different story.

I'm not sure how these tourneys work but usually the top tier tourneys pay a good amount. Atlantis I think is at 2 million per school. But they aren't gonna invite a program with roster management issues that will look bad on TV.

KAOriginal

All-American
I'm not sure how these tourneys work but usually the top tier tourneys pay a good amount. Atlantis I think is at 2 million per school. But they aren't gonna invite a program with roster management issues that will look bad on TV.

Heck if we hosted a tourney at EBA....we might not even invite ourselves........