2020-2021 Schedule Thread

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We don't have the largest of budgets in the A10. I think we are in the 8-12th range. Those buy games help. I think we were able to take the UMD and TCU money and buy 3 home games for ourselves. More home games means more inventory for the Learfield team to sell, more tickets, etc, etc.
And with the NCAA not being able to make the conference payouts we thought we were going to get, every dollar counts.

Got you. Makes sense. Can’t help but think they’ll take another buy game or two this year.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we have another 250 or worse ranked OOC SOs and then suck in A10 but have a good record he needs to be sent packing back to bucknell immediately

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we have another 250 or worse ranked OOC SOs and then suck in A10 but have a good record he needs to be sent packing back to bucknell immediately

I sincerely doubt that will happen again considering all that’s on the line.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Bryant is a great start lol. I agree but honestly wouldn’t be surprised

Lol- just one of a few buy games. I am sure they will probably do the same strategy as they have for the last few years in that they'll go play at a power 5 and then use it for 2 home games.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I think a better analogy would be UMD paid us to go up there and play them, and it's not like College Park and Georgetown are that far away from each other.

Granted, Duane Simpkins played at UMD, so maybe there was a favor there somewhere? But still.

Georgetown seems to like to beat up on UMES, Mt. St. Mary's, and Howard. They also have played Towson twice in the last 10 years...surely they can play GMU once in awhile.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think a better analogy would be UMD paid us to go up there and play them, and it's not like College Park and Georgetown are that far away from each other.

Granted, Duane Simpkins played at UMD, so maybe there was a favor there somewhere? But still.

Georgetown seems to like to beat up on UMES, Mt. St. Mary's, and Howard. They also have played Towson twice in the last 10 years...surely they can play GMU once in awhile.
why?

J

JDK

Spectator
they recruit in Richmond. playing us does absolutely nothing for them

I guarantee you they would get more box office gate from Mason @ McDonnough or Mason @ Verizon Center as opposed to a game versus Bumble Sticks University.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
@JDK Lamar butler tweeted a while ago and talked about how mason would call Georgetown to play and they would repeatedly deny it. Regardless of whoever sub 300 rpi team they play or their willingness to play someone in the same league as mason, I doubt they have changed their viewpoint on playing mason. Maybe it’s changed but I’m sure if there was any consideration, Dave has been on the phone with them.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Because it's good for local basketball to have local teams playing each other. The Philadelphia Big 5 tournament every year is huge for Philly basketball...UMD and Georgetown being selfish about their "turf" is ridiculous.

Look at the post above, a GMU-Georgetown game's gate would be much bigger than bringing in UMES. So would GW-Georgetown.

Also, on the off chance they lose to GMU, it's not like a titanic shift in recruiting will happen and local 5 stars won't all of a sudden start committing to GMU instead of Georgetown.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Because it's good for local basketball to have local teams playing each other. The Philadelphia Big 5 tournament every year is huge for Philly basketball...UMD and Georgetown being selfish about their "turf" is ridiculous.

Look at the post above, a GMU-Georgetown game's gate would be much bigger than bringing in UMES. So would GW-Georgetown.

Also, on the off chance they lose to GMU, it's not like a titanic shift in recruiting will happen and local 5 stars won't all of a sudden start committing to GMU instead of Georgetown.

you aren’t wrong but we’ve beaten this topic for years. It hasn’t and doesn’t look like it will happen anytime soon.