Welcome Otis III

Herndon

All-Conference
What does that have to do with anything I posted?
I think it's a fair point, tbh.

If we can only count on Oduro for 15 MPG, I wouldn't REALLY call the situation solidified, as if Calixte tweaks an ankle or something, that's a LOT of minutes for AJ at the 5.

If Oduro is a 25 MPG guy next season, it's a much different animal.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it's a fair point, tbh.

If we can only count on Oduro for 15 MPG, I wouldn't REALLY call the situation solidified, as if Calixte tweaks an ankle or something, that's a LOT of minutes for AJ at the 5.

If Oduro is a 25 MPG guy next season, it's a much different animal.

I have to think Oduro is a 20-25mpg guy next year, mixed with Calixte/Henry/AJ at the 5 as needed. He will probably be playing less when teams play 5 out, chuck threes and are more athletic (St Joes for example), but for the most part I expect him to play that position a lot.

Herndon

All-Conference
I have to think Oduro is a 20-25mpg guy next year, mixed with Calixte/Henry/AJ at the 5 as needed. He will probably be playing less when teams play 5 out, chuck threes and are more athletic (St Joes for example), but for the most part I expect him to play that position a lot.
I agree, I was just saying that the point is valid that if Oduro ISN'T the guy we think he's going to be, it's a problem.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why would you think his freshmen minutes wouldn't go up?

During conference play, Oduro averaged 18.4 minutes and Calixte averaged 11.2, which left 11.1 minutes for AJ at the 5, but a lot of those minutes for AJ came against St. Joe's x2 (Calixte played 9 and 10, and Oduro played 4 and 12).

Oduro played 20 or more minutes in half the A-10 games.

Herndon

All-Conference

During conference play, Oduro averaged 18.4 minutes and Calixte averaged 11.2, which left 11.1 minutes for AJ at the 5, but a lot of those minutes for AJ came against St. Joe's x2 (Calixte played 9 and 10, and Oduro played 4 and 12).

Good analysis. I was agreeing with the hypothetical situation, but I think you stats tell a good story.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

And now when teams play small ball against us, we can put Henry at the 5 instead of having to move AJ out of his natural position.

Which was my original point.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Doubt it. Why would Otis sign with Mason knowing that he was the 2nd choice.

Might have felt it was his best offer.
And now when teams play small ball against us, we can put Henry at the 5 instead of having to move AJ out of his natural position.

I think your last point is one of the keys to not shitting the bed next season. We can’t go long stretches of AJ playing the 5. 2-3 minutes a game is fine, but if we have to slide AJ out of position 7-10 minutes a game next season that’s when we get in trouble. It’s bad for him defensively and if our offense is the same system next season he didn’t look good playing the 5 on that end either.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I see that, but I'm also skeptical of giving any freshmen significant minutes without seeing them. I can still see a scenario where we play Boyd, Miller, AJ against smaller teams going 5 out next year. If Henry is ready to play defense out on the perimeter I'd be all for using some more length (Miller, AJ, Henry).

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Oduro played 16 minutes a game last year, we'll see

Or to put it more accurately, he averaged 16 min. a game last year over the course of an entire season. And it was actually closer to 17 min. (16.9).

Also, if you look at the latter half of the season, the last 15 games, he averaged over 20 minutes a game down the stretch. And that includes an outlier against St. Joe's where he played only 4 min. In 9 of those 15, he was over 20 MPG.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
A10 Starting Centers (source realgm)

Davidson-Brajkovic 6'10
Dayton-Toppin 6'9
Duquesne-Hughes 6'8
Fordham-Soriano 6'9
GW-Parr-6'9
Lasalle-Kimbrough 6'8
UMASS-Mitchell 6'9
Rhody-Harris/Langevine, both 6'8
Richmond-Golden 6'10
St Joes-Edwards 6'8
St Louis-Bell/French 6'10, 6'7
Bonnies-Osun-6'10
vcu-Santos-Silva 6'7

By your definition, there were exactly zero legit 5's starting in the entire A10 last year.

Look at that list. Oduro is slam bang average sized for a starting A10 center.

He's PLENTY big.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-10-Conference/10/vcu/126/depth-charts

I F'N LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE BRING RECEIPTS!!!

Well done Herndon.

Incidentally, the SEC only had 3 of 14 teams with "legit" starting centers at 6'111 or taller - same source.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Doubt it. Why would Otis sign with Mason knowing that he was the 2nd choice.

You just stream of conscious post don't you? No pause to consider and think, just whatever you read that wanders across your mind like some mental butterfly you respond to and just let your keyboard run wild.

You're kind of the Ralph Wiggum of Masonhoops aren't you?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Or to put it more accurately, he averaged 16 min. a game last year over the course of an entire season. And it was actually closer to 17 min. (16.9).

Also, if you look at the latter half of the season, the last 15 games, he averaged over 20 minutes a game down the stretch. And that includes an outlier against St. Joe's where he played only 4 min. In 9 of those 15, he was over 20 MPG.
we were also 4-7 in games he played 20 mins or more if we are being super analytical. Granted UMD shouldn't count because they would have beaten us no matter what happened as far as mins.

We were also 5-10 those last 15 games that he played more than 20MPG average... if we are arguing mins then your point is completely correct. but were we any good when he got those mins is the better question..

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Might have felt it was his best offer.

I think your last point is one of the keys to not shitting the bed next season. We can’t go long stretches of AJ playing the 5. 2-3 minutes a game is fine, but if we have to slide AJ out of position 7-10 minutes a game next season that’s when we get in trouble. It’s bad for him defensively and if our offense is the same system next season he didn’t look good playing the 5 on that end either.

Absolutely right. I don’t think people understand how much it’s going to help our defense to have another legit rim protector available. Whatever Henry provides offensively will be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Absolutely right. I don’t think people understand how much it’s going to help our defense to have another legit rim protector available. Whatever a Henry provides offensively will be icing on the cake.
with our ole perimeter defense it is an absolute necessity to have more than one big man that can jump more than a paper thin margin off the ground. Henry is a necessity and needs to be a day one contributor I think because we can't just rely on AJ to be athletic on the inside

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You just stream of conscious post don't you? No pause to consider and think, just whatever you read that wanders across your mind like some mental butterfly you respond to and just let your keyboard run wild.

You're kind of the Ralph Wiggum of Masonhoops aren't you?
Get off you’re high horse. Even if that were to be true who cares? All this talk is meaningless anyways. We are ALL just a bunch of losers discussing a horrible crappy basketball team. This isn’t a life or death discussion.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
with our ole perimeter defense it is an absolute necessity to have more than one big man that can jump more than a paper thin margin off the ground. Henry is a necessity and needs to be a day one contributor I think because we can't just rely on AJ to be athletic on the inside

Yes the defense obviously needs to get better overall. Containing the dribbler and defending ball screens should be prioritized whenever the team is able to get together.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I'll bite.. because we had a horrible record when he played more mins. He is a necessity on this team at like 15-18 mins a game. Our offense and our defensive mind set doesn't really work to Oduro's strengths and that might be the reason why our team seems to at a worse record when he plays more. Obviously that isn't a complete science but I am not sure why we expect more mins from him at the position. I think it stays around 18-20 because of the lack of real competition at the position, but Paulsen can't keep him out there too long and does seem to know that.