Welcome Otis III

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'll bite.. because we had a horrible record when he played more mins. He is a necessity on this team at like 15-18 mins a game. Our offense and our defensive mind set doesn't really work to Oduro's strengths and that might be the reason why our team seems to at a worse record when he plays more. Obviously that isn't a complete science but I am not sure why we expect more mins from him at the position. I think it stays around 18-20 because of the lack of real competition at the position, but Paulsen can't keep him out there too long and does seem to know that.

So, you're expecting him to see zero improvement in any area of his game next year? I also wouldn't necessarily put all the blame on Oduro for some of these losses. For instance, SLU where we put Hasahn French in foul trouble and he only scored 8 points (their entire front court didn't do a whole lot in that game), but we let Perkins drop 25 on us and we lost by 8.

The second GW loss, Oduro had 13 and 11 and their centers (Paar and Toro) combined for 5 points and 6 rebounds.

Duquense where we lost by 3 points and we put Weathers and Carry on the line to shoot a combined 27 FTs, Oduro had 10, 6, and 3 blocks in that game.

I'll give you both Richmond losses but Golden is damned good and any freshman would have a hard time matching up with him. The UMass loss could have gone either way (maybe we win that game if AJ doesn't start on the bench and Mar doesn't give us 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of that game?), and again Oduro matching up with Tre Mitchell is a tough matchup.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, you're expecting him to see zero improvement in any area of his game next year? I also wouldn't necessarily put all the blame on Oduro for some of these losses. For instance, SLU where we put Hasahn French in foul trouble and he only scored 8 points (their entire front court didn't do a whole lot in that game), but we let Perkins drop 25 on us and we lost by 8.

The second GW loss, Oduro had 13 and 11 and their centers (Paar and Toro) combined for 5 points and 6 rebounds.

Duquense where we lost by 3 points and we put Weathers and Carry on the line to shoot a combined 27 FTs, Oduro had 10, 6, and 3 blocks in that game.

I'll give you both Richmond losses but both Golden is damned good and any freshman would have a hard time matching up with him. The UMass loss could have gone either way (maybe we win that game if AJ doesn't start on the bench and Mar doesn't give us 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of that game?), and again Oduro matching up with Tre Mitchell is a tough matchup.
wait do you seriously think just Oduro's man to man matchups equate to him having a good game defensively. He is a center for a team that plays 0 perimeter defense (even Jim and the other homers agree to that). His job is a rim protector as well as covering his man. If we are just judging man to man defense than AJ isn't that great either.. I hope you get the gist.

I wasn't even insinuating what you are talking about. I am not expecting 0 improvement. COVID doesn't help the case that the kid is going to suddenly move his feet on defense and not get stuffed by the rim on offense... But I bet he gets better. If we run a similar offense and defense then a person of his skillset is kinda doomed anyway.

I am not shitting on Oduro any more. He is what he is and I hope he improves.. But if our defensive set up is similar to last year he is still mostly a net negative on that end even with improvement.

By George.

Starter
Is there a player at Mason comparable to Otis III? He seems to be pretty unique on this roster. Fairly optimistic about this pull to compliment the other 3.

Which freshman are you most CISED about?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Is there a player at Mason comparable to Otis III? He seems to be pretty unique on this roster. Fairly optimistic about this pull to compliment the other 3.

Polite by a hair over Henry. Although I think they both are going to have great careers at Mason.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I didn't even realize I was posting in the Otis III thread, that's how off-topic we are right now.

The Twitter reaction FWIW in recruiting circles seems to be unanimous that this was a very good signing for Mason.

Yeah, we should probably move the Oduro sucks stuff over to the next season projection thread.

As for Otis, if he can actually play at the 2 I'd say, no, we don't have another player like him on this roster right now. He looks like if you took Miller's frame and shoved AJ's aggressiveness and explosion into it.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Henry by a mile... could not watch another min of Mar and Calixte together or I would have had to claw my eyes out.

By George.

Starter
I didn't even realize I was posting in the Otis III thread, that's how off-topic we are right now.

The Twitter reaction FWIW in recruiting circles seems to be unanimous that this was a very good signing for Mason.

Sometimes we have to hit reset, there’s a thread for Oduro bashing, it’s called “Hate ....”
Yeah, we should probably move the Oduro sucks stuff over to the next season projection thread.

As for Otis, if he can actually play at the 2 I'd say, no, we don't have another player like him on this roster right now. He looks like if you took Miller's frame and shoved AJ's aggressiveness and explosion into it.

So true, kid can jump and will be forced into minutes immediately. He has the chance to take control of the offense given his size and ability to step back and hit jumpers. Will he? Not sure, but I know both DP and Simp are excited about the late snag.

We have the ability to play both small ball and larger lineups. If Kolek can hit open jumpers, it will completely change us and he’ll appear most valuable of the bunch.

ephoops

Starter
You just stream of conscious post don't you? No pause to consider and think, just whatever you read that wanders across your mind like some mental butterfly you respond to and just let your keyboard run wild.

You're kind of the Ralph Wiggum of Masonhoops aren't you?

I laughed out loud when I read this post. Very, very funny and spot on.

FreeGunston12

All-American

Today, Otis. He looks like he can shoot the 3, defend at the rim, dunk on people. He showed some nice little touch passes on tape. With an extra prep year, he should be in a position to be the most ready to contribute. Loved then Abram comparison, just hope he fits in better with DP than Abram did.

There's not much tape out there of Henry, so I'm a bit reserved on him. Everyone is hyped for Polite, and he looks to be explosive as well. I have a feeling that what Kolek lacks in exciting moments on tape, he may make up for in just having a solid all around game (based on his offer list).

No scrawny sub 6 footers. I think this has the potential to be Paulsen best recruiting class by far. Of course, I've been burned before (damn you JDS!)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Only because he is practically the same height, Daddy? He might be similiar to Otis.

But I have no idea if they have the same game.

As far as the frosh I'm psyched about, I'm going with Polite. He looks physical, has length and hopefully can shoot a bit.

G M U

Starter

I started out dead set on Henry being the freshman I'm most cised about but man Polite's tape has won me over. He just kinda effortlessly floats through the air, it's really a thing of beauty. The All-met honor was just icing on the cake. Kolek has been a bit of an afterthought for me but his HS accolades and some recent highlights showing his range have me lowkey cised.

Herndon

All-Conference
I started out dead set on Henry being the freshman I'm most cised about but man Polite's tape has won me over. He just kinda effortlessly floats through the air, it's really a thing of beauty. The All-met honor was just icing on the cake. Kolek has been a bit of an afterthought for me but his HS accolades and some recent highlights showing his range have me lowkey cised.
Exactly this. Polite looks to have a little bit of that Kyle Lofton "yo, that dude is bigger and more athletic than I realized...he's a problem" to him.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I still can’t get away from the Deandre comparison. I think that Otis has some potential, but I still think he’s going to be a bit of a project. So long term most excited to see if Otis can develop, because if he can he’s got the mold of a 1st team A10 type player with his size, athleticism, and shooting. But he’s not there yet. Immediately- Henry. Fills an immediate need and looks the most polished. I expect him to be the biggest contributor from that class next year.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I too think that this class on paper is the best we’ve had top to bottom. I‘m excited about all four of them. I was worried with the last spot we might reach on a high school kid that had no business playing in the A10, but Otis played well against some legit competition. He’s a really good pick up for this late in the game.

Kolek is probably the most intriguing to me. I’m hoping he can be that scrappy, physical guard that drives other players and their fans nuts. I want him to be the most hated player in the A10. We need that edge.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I too think that this class on paper is the best we’ve had top to bottom. I‘m excited about all four of them. I was worried with the last spot we might reach on a high school kid that had no business playing in the A10, but Otis played well against some legit competition. He’s a really good pick up for this late in the game.

Kolek is probably the most intriguing to me. I’m hoping he can be that scrappy, physical guard that drives other players and their fans nuts. I want him to be the most hated player in the A10. We need that edge.

Otis Frazier looks like he can be that edgy player that everyone wants to hate. Judging from his dunks at least, I see an attitude that I definitely like. :chuckle: