Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I personally think Dennis Felton kinda sucks... 3rd assistant on Fordham to top assistant on Mason is quite the ascension for a very Hewitt-esque career. But KE has done everything else to a tee of my dreams so I don’t fare really.

Really??? I love the hire. Has 13 years of head coach experience, including 4 NCAA and two NIT post-season trips. Has coached in the ACC, SEC, Big East, and A-10 previously.

If we were hiring as a HC I'd be concerned, but as an AHC I really like the experience to back up the growing pains of a rookie coach.

Mason32

Starter
Felton = Hewitt who never quite made it as far in the P5 world and didn't make as much $$$. Why can't they just keep Simpkins there?

He15man

Starter
Felton = Hewitt who never quite made it as far in the P5 world and didn't make as much $$$. Why can't they just keep Simpkins there?
That might be... but even Hewitt would be a solid consigliere to a first time head coach. Felton and Hewitt might be underwhelming head coaches as far as running their own program is concerned, but when it comes to experience sitting in the main chair, knowing what to look out for, considering how to handle situational player punishments, or how to manage your time day to day... both of these guys would have great input and different ways of looking at it from the HC's POV. Just because they weren't great as the head guy doesn't mean they don't know some fundamental basics to ensure Kim doesn't step on a landmine or mishandle a situation.

Quick edit/add-on: Also, Juwan Howard is NOT as successful at Michigan this year without Martelli helping him learn how to be a HC behind the scenes. I think that is as good as any reason why hiring Felton is a very mature/appropriate move for KE.

Last edited:
OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
KE trusts Felton, and I trust KE. Are we just trying to find things to complain about?

For the record, as a Head Coach, Felton was 3-3 against Hewitt while he was at UGA, and 2-1 against vcu when he was at WKU.

He15man

Starter
Felton is the Jedi master to teach his Padawan the ways of coaching so that eventually the student becomes the master.
cpmgf9d.jpg

Pablo

Hall of Famer

“'I’ve always had the utmost respect for Coach Simpkins,' English said. 'I admire his illustrious career as a prep player, as a collegian and how he’s cut his teeth in the professional ranks. For years I’ve admired the way he carries himself in this business. When talking to people I respect in this region and in our game, I’ve heard nothing but GREAT things about "Simp," and many of these glowing reports about his character and integrity were unsolicited. Most of all, as I got to know our players, it was clear how much they all loved, admired and appreciated Duane Simpkins. I’m excited to have him and his family as a part of what we’re building here at Mason.'

One of the most respected assistants in the national coaching ranks, Silverwaves Media named Simpkins as one of the country’s Top-50 Most Impactful Mid-Major Assistants in 2020. In addition, he has earned an invite to Top Connect – which brings premier athletic directors and assistant coaches together – in each of the past two seasons. At the 2019 Final Four, he also participated in the Collegiate Coaching Consortium, sponsored by AthleticDirectorU and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).

'I’m extremely excited to work with Coach English and the rest of the staff that he has put in place to move the George Mason basketball program forward,' Simpkins said. 'Coach English’s clear strategic vision for our program, coupled with his tremendous enthusiasm for the welfare and development of our student-athletes on and off the court, jumped out at me from our very first conversation. To be a part of the process to make that vision come to fruition has given me a renewed enthusiasm for what I’m passionate about - that’s recruiting, mentoring, developing, and retaining talented student-athletes here at George Mason.

I’m beyond thrilled to be able to continue working with the young men on our roster. There is a genuine love that I have developed with each and every player and their families and I am happy that I will be able continue to help develop all of our young men to be the best people, students, and players that they can be.'”

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I saw this and just wanted to share because I know how many of you felt about Paulsen taking timeouts in order to draw up a play: View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Englishscope24/status/1378644909721325568

Bruh, Paulsen's time out plays were as bad as Hewitt's inbound plays. 80% of the time, Paulsen's after time out plays would result in a turn around fadeaway 15 ft jumper or a desperation 3 as time expired.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bruh, Paulsen's time out plays were as bad as Hewitt's inbound plays. 80% of the time, Paulsen's after time out plays would result in a turn around fadeaway 15 ft jumper or a desperation 3 as time expired.

So many times I would be left thinking: should have just let them run and see what happened.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
:ROFLMAO:We did at least once I can remember; he let Otis push it against UMass who then found Boyd for the buzzer beater. Granted, I can’t remember if we had a timeout left at that point. Some nerd on here will look it up for me anyways.
Yes, there's always "that" guy.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You just reminded me we hopefully won’t have to see the one and only inbound play Paulsen had anymore.

So glad we don’t have to see that anymore too. I guess his logic was he was playing percentages and inbounding and starting the ball at the top of the key would allow them to set up a play and give a better chance of scoring.

Luke still has the greatest inbound play of All-Time.

Last edited:

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
So glad we don’t have to see that anymore too. I guess his logic was inbounding and starting the ball at the top of the key to eat up a play would give a better chance of scoring.

Luke still has the great inbound play of All-Time.

So glad that moment is still on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.