Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ll still believe it when I read an official announcement from either school, because everything I’m being told is that all these journalists from various outlets have been getting fed a lot of garbage.
That’ll be sometime tomorrow.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
idk how he can return after all these rumors.
The same way any other coaches does, and hopefully the fanbase welcomes him back on the off chance it happens. Hell, Pat Kelsey literally accepted the Umass job and backed out the day of his intro presser and it was no big deal.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The same way any other coaches does, and hopefully the fanbase welcomes him back on the off chance it happens. Hell, Pat Kelsey literally accepted the Umass job and backed out the day of his intro presser and it was no big deal.
My fear is that the Admin and BOV is effing this up turning a scenario where he would like to stay and continue to build into a no win scenario where he would leave for equal or less money. If its the latter -- then we need to blow up the AD top to bottom and start wholesale fresh and have Alumni demand a total change in BOV. Mason as an institution has too many advantages not to be more like vcu instead of like Elon or JMU.

I smell gross incompetence across the board.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its a rough day and there is so much I want to say and I'm not even sure how to put a lot of it to words.

I knew this would happen at some point, we all did. Lets face it, Kim isn't sticking around at Mason for so many years. I was hoping we'd get an NCAA run before he darted.

Its upsetting, because I never thought he'd dart for the first job and especially for a job that he didn't have that much of a tie to.

Now that its public, it appears that Kim wanted an extension before Brooklyn, wanted more money for assistants. My understanding was that the request was not crazy like "3 million for me" or "another million for assistants". However, because Mason does Mason things, we did nothing. To my knowledge I am not even sure he was given an extension at all or what it was even in details.

Now granted, maybe we extend and it means jackshit. I actually brought this up with @gmubrian and @MasonFanatic while we were in Brooklyn that we needed to extend Kim considering he won 20 games, he showed good progress and we were already 2 years into a 5 year deal. Nothing crazy, but thats how college basketball works and we needed to show that commitment. And again, maybe it does nothing and he still goes. If that happens I personally at least can say "okay well Mason did what they could".

As far as Providence goes, hes jumping into a fire of the Big East. I think he will be fine but its a different animal. They will expect the NCAAs almost every year. They are going for the high potential and not what he has done so far. Its raw and new, but I'm not going to wish ill will on him even though I am disappointed. I place blame on Mason not doing their diligence and their best effort to try and actually keep Kim.

Really angry, upset, and disappointed in Mason Athletics right now.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Its a rough day and there is so much I want to say and I'm not even sure how to put a lot of it to words.

I knew this would happen at some point, we all did. Lets face it, Kim isn't sticking around at Mason for so many years. I was hoping we'd get an NCAA run before he darted.

Its upsetting, because I never thought he'd dart for the first job and especially for a job that he didn't have that much of a tie to.

Now that its public, it appears that Kim wanted an extension before Brooklyn, wanted more money for assistants. My understanding was that the request was not crazy like "3 million for me" or "another million for assistants". However, because Mason does Mason things, we did nothing. To my knowledge I am not even sure he was given an extension at all or what it was even in details.

Now granted, maybe we extend and it means jackshit. I actually brought this up with @gmubrian and @MasonFanatic while we were in Brooklyn that we needed to extend Kim considering he won 20 games, he showed good progress and we were already 2 years into a 5 year deal. Nothing crazy, but thats how college basketball works and we needed to show that commitment. And again, maybe it does nothing and he still goes. If that happens I personally at least can say "okay well Mason did what they could".

As far as Providence goes, hes jumping into a fire of the Big East. I think he will be fine but its a different animal. They will expect the NCAAs almost every year. They are going for the high potential and not what he has done so far. Its raw and new, but I'm not going to wish ill will on him even though I am disappointed. I place blame on Mason not doing their diligence and their best effort to try and actually keep Kim.

We have a winner .

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

You new here?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

We’ve always had a fiscally conservative AD, been that way for decades. I’m sure whoever was making the decision didn’t think a Big East team would have snapped him up.

By the way, for those who are too young to know this is exactly what happened when L left, almost to a tee. L asks for a bigger commitment from Mason. Mason is like ehhhhhhh. He noticed Miami’s job opens up, makes a call, interviews. Marten at this point is like oh no! Toss him a million dollars! TOC calls Larranaga and he’s already on the plane.

By the way, another fun Mason is gonna Mason: after the Final Four run Barnes and Noble (yes the bookstore!) committed $1 million for a practice facility and Merten says “oh that’s nice” and proceeds to sit on the donation and tells TOC “you will do no targeted fundraising campaigns while I’m here, mister!” We sit on that donation for so long we not only had to give it back, but then looked at a cage gym in the RAC and said “hmmm” looks like a practice facility to me!

Now you may ask yourself, “hey, didn’t they like do a $20 million renovation to the Patriot Center at this exact same time why didn’t they just…” we don’t talk about these things.

Edit: to add a little more context to the Coach L thing: if Mason had countered with 1.25 million fast enough he might have stayed (this is inferred from an interview where the interviewer asked him this question and his wife shhhed him with a “we are here and we are happy” when he struggled to answer.”

DRK331

Starter
Josh Oduro, Malik Henry, Justyn Fernandez, Ginika Ojiako, Saquan Singleton, Blake Jones, and 2023 commit Dez White were on the Giant Killer Twitter Spaces at some point

Mason Women's Head Basketball coach Vanessa Blair Lewis was also listening and for a long time as well, which I think is very interesting

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

We’ve always had a fiscally conservative AD, been that way for decades. I’m sure whoever was making the decision didn’t think a Big East team would have snapped him up.

By the way, for those who are too young to know this is exactly what happened when L left, almost to a tee. L asks for a bigger commitment from Mason. Mason is like ehhhhhhh. He noticed Miami’s job opens up, makes a call, interviews. Marten at this point is like oh no! Toss him a million dollars! TOC calls Larranaga and he’s already on the plane.

By the way, another fun Mason is gonna Mason: after the Final Four run Barnes and Noble (yes the bookstore!) committed $1 million for a practice facility and Merten says “oh that’s nice” and proceeds to sit on the donation and tells TOC “you will do no targeted fundraising campaigns while I’m here, mister!” We sit on that donation for so long we not only had to give it back, but then looked at a cage gym in the RAC and said “hmmm” looks like a practice facility to me!

Now you may ask yourself, “hey, didn’t they like do a $20 million renovation to the Patriot Center at this exact same time why didn’t they just…” we don’t talk about these things.

Edit: to add a little more context to the Coach L thing: if Mason had countered with 1.25 million fast enough he might have stayed (this is inferred from an interview where the interviewer asked him this question and his wife shhhed him with a “we are here and we are happy” when he struggled to answer.”
We extended Paulsen for less within his first two seasons. There are major issues in the leadership levels at the school that are holding us back. Fan support will decrease again next year and the admin will still sit there and scratch their heads.

At least we have beer in our seats at games, feel like we’re going to need it the next few years. Dark days ahead.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We extended Paulsen for less within his first two seasons. There are major issues in the leadership levels at the school that are holding us back. Fan support will decrease again next year and the admin will still sit there and scratch their heads.

At least we have beer in our seats at games, feel like we’re going to need it the next few years. Dark days ahead.
Let everyone know now exactly what you just said in the first paragraph. They need to hire Tony immediately and get out of their own f**king way. Can not trust this school to do a search, since the people in charge put Nena Rodgers in charge and they can’t hire a new AD in the many months since Brad left.

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
Hopefully it is announced today and GMU's new search for a coach begins.
I like KE and was excited about the hire and watching his progress - I
must be in the minority but I thought he still had some things to prove
to get an extension.

Not defending the AD - they surely have their issues but I'm a bit surprised that
many feel like an extension was warranted. KE completed a 2nd year in a 5-year contract with
3 years left, 19 game wins in regular season 20 wins with A-10 Tournament. The 7-game win streak was a lot of fun, love the talent he brought in but to me it is obvious KE is still figuring things out. Some of his recruits have not worked out (happens), I thought it took him to long to figure out how to use Singleton. The two big line up did not work well and without Ticket the defense was lacking to put it kindly. The vcu and Duquesne games were a disaster. Early season tournaments 0-6. Ending the season with a non-competitive game against St Louis after a 7 game win streak and final NET rating of 139. I'm very excited about the recruits he had for next year but at the same time I look at what has happened at Fordham in the past 2 years and compare.

So for me I was on the fence on the extension thinking KE still had some things to prove. I do get other feels like we need to do/be more supportive and give him what he wanted based on his profile and knowing he is the Top name for rising star. I don't want to see him go - was hoping to see more of a rebuild and success so like most very surprised a program like Providence went so strong for KE.

Status
Not open for further replies.