Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On
I mean, is that just how D1 ball works these days where if your coach signs a 5 year deal and is moderately successful in year 2 you are supposed to extend them to show further "commitment"?

I'm in the camp that KE hadn't done enough to warrant an extension so far, let alone an upper tier Big East job.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean, is that just how D1 ball works these days where if your coach signs a 5 year deal and is moderately successful in year 2 you are supposed to extend them to show further "commitment"?

I'm in the camp that KE hadn't done enough to warrant an extension so far, let alone an upper tier Big East job.
DP got extensions after his 1st and 2nd seasons....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully it is announced today and GMU's new search for a coach begins.
I like KE and was excited about the hire and watching his progress - I
must be in the minority but I thought he still had some things to prove
to get an extension.

Not defending the AD - they surely have their issues but I'm a bit surprised that
many feel like an extension was warranted. KE completed a 2nd year in a 5-year contract with
3 years left, 19 game wins in regular season 20 wins with A-10 Tournament. The 7-game win streak was a lot of fun, love the talent he brought in but to me it is obvious KE is still figuring things out. Some of his recruits have not worked out (happens), I thought it took him to long to figure out how to use Singleton. The two big line up did not work well and without Ticket the defense was lacking to put it kindly. The vcu and Duquesne games were a disaster. Early season tournaments 0-6. Ending the season with a non-competitive game against St Louis after a 7 game win streak and final NET rating of 139. I'm very excited about the recruits he had for next year but at the same time I look at what has happened at Fordham in the past 2 years and compare.

So for me I was on the fence on the extension thinking KE still had some things to prove. I do get other feels like we need to do/be more supportive and give him what he wanted based on his profile and knowing he is the Top name for rising star. I don't want to see him go - was hoping to see more of a rebuild and success so like most very surprised a program like Providence went so strong for KE.
Gonna try to avoid beating the dead horse that is Mason’s admin and athletic department, but you shouldn’t hire a 33-year-old first-time head coach unless you have a plan to help him be successful.

Part of that should have been an understanding that he needed time to grow into the job. So when you get near the end of Year 2 and are showing clear progress, just be proactive and pop those 2 years onto the end of his deal as a show of faith that he’s still your guy.

From what I was told, Kim was willing to significantly increase his buyout as part of the extension. If that’s true, and I have no reason to believe it’s not, he was not looking to leave now or actively pursuing another job.

Mason’s response, as usual: Crickets.

All of the signals coming from the university’s senior leadership were that everyone was all-in on Kim, but when it came time to make even the slightest gesture to prove it, they did nothing. Now he’s all but gone and we have to reboot all over again.

This type of complacency and ineptitude is not indicative of a university that is committed to having a winning basketball program. If they don’t care, why should we?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yes that’s how college basketball works. Even if you don’t make the ncaas if you have a good year, coaches get extended. Simple as that. English didn’t even ask for more money for himself, he just wanted more time and more for his assistants. If you want to be complacent and not jump when someone says “I want this” and you want to keep them, then you are going to have these things happen.
@gmubrian can explain it better, but he had them built into his contract in some way. But generally speaking, if we can extend Paulsen for “leading us toward respectability”, there’s no reason why we shouldnt have been aggressive and given a hot up and comer the same courtesy. Especially considering how much I heard everyone was fully behind him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Did DP get extended before or after the conference tourney? Most coaches get extended around this time of year, right?

If KE is upset he didn't get extended and his requests met before the A10 tournament, then this whole AD messing it up is questionable. Mason probably said "ok we will look at it Kim". Then Providence swoops in and pours gas on everything. Still, with the relationship KE has with Dr. W, I expected better from KE. Saying "we are gonna build this thing" also means being a tiny bit patient with your leadership bc ultimately is not just you thats building it. From Mason's perspective, they had his requests. How long did they have them? Is asking for shit before the conference tourney true? Is it douchey? Kinda. Finish the season then review. I think this info is smearing Dr. W AND the Mason AD unjustly. Hopefully some good investigating will uncover the truth.

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On
Did DP get extended before or after the conference tourney? Most coaches get extended around this time of year, right?

If KE is upset he didn't get extended and his requests met before the A10 tournament, then this whole AD messing it up is questionable. Mason probably said "ok we will look at it Kim". Then Providence swoops in and pours gas on everything. Still, with the relationship KE has with Dr. W, I expected better from KE. Saying "we are gonna build this thing" also means being a tiny bit patient with your leadership bc ultimately is not just you thats building it. From Mason's perspective, they had his requests. How long did they have them? Is asking for shit before the conference tourney true? Is it douchey? Kinda. Finish the season then review. I think this info is smearing Dr. W AND the Mason AD unjustly. Hopefully some good investigating will uncover the truth.

All very good questions. I suppose we will have plenty of time for it to come out in the wash this offseason of how everything started to unravel.

The George Mason Athletic Department or President Greg Washington is not to blame here. FKE didn't do anything in 2 years to deserve an extension or sniff an increased buyout to keep him here. Did he assemble talent? yes, so did Paul Hewitt, so did Dave Paulsen at the end of his regime. Results weren't there at all, no matter how much of a "rising star" he is. Just 1 month ago, there was a post on these boards wondering if we made the right choice. 20 wins this year, in a 1 bid league with all of the talent this roster has, is nothing to write home about. We didn't compete against any of the BCS schools this year and our road record was pathetic, and this team had way more talent than last year's team.

I'm convinced this had to be a scheduled departure. He never wished Brad Edwards (the man who hired him) well when he departed before the season started.

BLUF: Let him go, and shame on the rest of the posters who think the GMU Administration messed up here.

Have any of you heard of the Peter Principle? look it up. game over, onto the next coach.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Understand the perspective. Thing is, even if he asked before Brooklyn and didn’t get it then, I think you have to make it a priority conversation after Brooklyn to say “ok let’s talk about this”. It doesn’t seem like that occurred.

And even with no AD, you can say “here’s what we can do now, let’s discuss this again when we have the new AD”.

Instead Mason said derp derp basketball and did squat. Nothing promises doing either of these things keep him, but it at least shows an attempt to keep him and not say derp derp.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The George Mason Athletic Department or President Greg Washington is not to blame here. FKE didn't do anything in 2 years to deserve an extension or sniff an increased buyout to keep him here. Did he assemble talent? yes, so did Paul Hewitt, so did Dave Paulsen at the end of his regime. Results weren't there at all, no matter how much of a "rising star" he is. Just 1 month ago, there was a post on these boards wondering if we made the right choice. 20 wins this year, in a 1 bid league with all of the talent this roster has, is nothing to write home about. We didn't compete against any of the BCS schools this year and our road record was pathetic, and this team had way more talent than last year's team.

I'm convinced this had to be a scheduled departure. He never wished Brad Edwards (the man who hired him) well when he departed before the season started.

BLUF: Let him go, and shame on the rest of the posters who think the GMU Administration messed up here.

Have any of you heard of the Peter Principle? look it up. game over, onto the next coach.
What is the common denominator in all of this…the AD. Saying they had nothing to do with this is a bit odd, especially when you look at past history. And yes, I understand there were different athletic directors but also understand there was no house cleaning with the change in leadership. In cases like this the leader is often bent to the will of the department. In Mason’s case that is not a good thing.

Masonfan3

Starter
Giving the administration the benefit of the doubt? After everything they’ve royally f***ed up going on 20 years now? Come on….
Not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt. Just asking a simple question. Plus the administration is completely different from 20, 10, even 5 years ago

He15man

Starter
I haven't heard anything from my source at Mason, but ... NOW i think it's fair to say this isn't a good sign that yesterday's meeting with our folks went in our direction.

1679577665814.png

Attachments

• 1679577660807.png
    1679577660807.png
    182 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.