Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Look, I'm still on the train that we have to move on, BUTTTTTTTTT, we absolutely cannot forget about this s-show. You can bitch and whine all you want about loyalty and this and that, but it just makes you look like an out of touch boomer. This is the way college basketball works. You give guys a courtesy extension after year 2 if they have a 5 year deal as long as they are making progress. This is how the business world works. The 60s are gone.

This place will and has been run way too much like a mom and pop dry cleaner for going on 25+ years now. We're in a multi-national conglomerate world. Time for AD (or whoever the hell is OK with nonsense - BOV, state govt, etc) to be gone. Would other state schools put up this crap? Would UVA, Tech, hell even JMU or ODU go 6 months without an AD because of some BS contract June 30th excuse? Are we really sure that the people pulling the ultimate strings aren't the same as when this situation happened with L?

I'm ready to move on to the next coach because I think KE was a short-timer anyway, but the issues he exposed have to be fixed. The only way that happens is if we know the full truth and don't the powers that be play the age old Mason stall and forget it about game.

KAOriginal

All-American
This falls squarely on the administration. Just like with what happened with Larranaga.

When we get a new AD later this year we can see where the coaching search takes us.

Till then..enjoy Dennis Felton as interim.....

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Plus the administration is completely different from 20, 10, even 5 years ago
But are they?

I’m eating crow - this is all on Mason. I’ve heard enough from enough different sources.

It is time to threaten to pull donations, season tickets, etc. and for everyone to communicate the extreme discontent and embarrassment to Dr W and whoever else may actually listen and spread the word within the administration that “ya’ll done f**ked up royally, you need to take aggressive measures to fix this, first of which is hiring Tony Skinn today, and new AD within the week”

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ladies and gentlemen, announcing the new coach of the George Mason Irrelevant's............ TBD. Announcement coming in the next several months. In the meantime here is the link to renew your season tickets. Please note that an increase in your donation to the Patriot Club is forthcoming.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But are they?

I’m eating crow - this is all on Mason. I’ve heard enough from enough different sources.

It is time to threaten to pull donations, season tickets, etc. and for everyone to communicate the extreme discontent and embarrassment to Dr W and whoever else may actually listen and spread the word within the administration that “ya’ll done f**ked up royally, you need to take aggressive measures to fix this, first of which is hiring Tony Skinn today, and new AD within the week”
Me, too. This can't be just brushed under the rug. It, essentially, happened again and they will hide behind the fact that his "record wasn't that great" or some other made up excuse.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ve been in business for 40 years, have done many interesting things and had tons of fun. I’ve spent the last few days asking myself how I’d fix this mess and then it occurred to me…the admin doesn’t want it fixed…they want it to go away.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don't recall the boards ever being so active. Passion all around, a good thing! One more good thing is that we'll all get to attend another presser at EBA in April. Debate about the hire can ensue. Optimism will or won't abound. This will NOT be a boring off season.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
So what, now what?
lawl.PNG

People can start with that.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
This falls squarely on the administration. Just like with what happened with Larranaga.

When we get a new AD later this year we can see where the coaching search takes us.

Till then..enjoy Dennis Felton as interim.....
If they choose to spin their wheels with an interim, the quicker the descent into obscurity.

He15man

Starter
Yup ... he was already following one of their players (and Bartstool Providence) before he changed the profile.
I can't wait to hear from my source on how this went down yesterday, and how stuff like this Twitter profile change went over.... and from what i was told at a high level, we didn't go at him with a weak counter. Were we late with it? Or, during KE's tenure, was the AD somehow inefficient or bush league like it seemingly has been for the past 20 years? Maybe... probably.... that much i don't 100% have insight on.

But all I can say is that I don't think this CKE situation was a function of the most senior leaders (like Dr. W, the BOV, etc) not getting it. Everything i've heard from and about them indicates that they see the importance of a winning/relevant program. They know it's a big part of our university's public face and reputation. So my gut tells me that it really boils down to us needing a truly experienced and seasoned athletic director (like, immediately), and one who can bring in folks that have worked at, and know how to operate, elite college departments. That means the next coach, of course, but also his direct reports. We can't be satisfied with the status quo, as KE apparently said.

And in conjunction with that... I think this new AD and his direct reports need major experience (at high mid-major, or the P5-level) leading or being at the forefront of planning, managing and continual fundraising for facility upgrades, marketing, coaching hires/talent management, etc. I personally we've gone cheap or aimed too low with recent AD hires, when this person needs hands-on, tangible experience with what the next level looks like and what we need to do to get there. No more of this "has a vision" stuff. We need a person that can map out a proven plan on Day 1, and arm them with the budget to get there.

And finally... having mentioned budget... I'm not trying to make excuses, but I think our AD going back 10 years or so was largely hamstrung with having little-to-no money to improve our infrastructure. So much of that available money was dedicated to the other huge initiatives and/or construction projects on campus. And then, our fundraising efforts to overcome this were only modestly successful at best. But I'm told we're on the other side of this infrastructure money issue and there's finally money, and plans, for much-needed and overdue upgrade projects for athletics in general... not just basketball. Apparently more info to come out about this.

But all this to say, i think this sucks to lose CKE, but i'm not going to crucify that senior Mason leadership for it. I think this was a combination of things that worked against us. But IMO, this just makes our AD hire that much more important now.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
and one who can bring in folks that have worked at, and know how to operate, elite college departments. That means the next coach, of course, but also his direct reports. We can't be satisfied with the status quo, as KE apparently said.

I've used this individual as a perfect example of what Mason should be looking for: https://goduke.com/staff-directory/jon-jackson/181

Been around a big time program, has worked with large donors, sponsorships, etc.

Not saying *him specifically*, but they should 100% be sniffing around for that type.

RamboRowdy

Recruit
vcu fan- I come in peace. My brother went to Mason and he was furious when coach L left. This feels very similar. Is the outrage more toward English or the Admin? I would think English saying they are happy with the status quo would really upset Mason Nation. Especially it felt like the Admin didn’t really take advantage of the 2006 run in my opinion as far as investing in the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.