Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On
On the AD side....weak leadership is like no leadership. We did it to ourselves not having a coherent and swift plan in place for when an AD leaves your school as basketball is our major sport and we really have been flying blind for months now.

I like Washington and think he understands the need for a good bball program but this is just the same movie we have seen force fed to us over and over again... this is why so many of us are pissed cause we know this is setting us back years and some of us really believed in where this new coach and President could of taken us. KE is a good talker.

I can see Kim's side..... he's young and he has continued to read that he is the golden boy and one of the best up and coming coaches from many outlets over the past few years yet comes to a school and has to worry about getting students to games, muchless, getting them to stand and cheer at games! Also to have 10-20 people show up to his live coaches show, no major business donors outside a handful, no plan in place for athletic facility improvements, etc. I think he saw how inept our program and overall leadership is in many different departments and figured this ia major overhaul and not worth him putting in effort for just 5 years.

Therefore, he was presented with A) Make more money and B) Go to a true basketball school and program where he has given resources and overall better shot at being successful. He wants to be successful and figured Providence has a better understanding of basketball and what it takes to win year in and year out. While Mason is still like 4 monkeys trying to hump a football for the past 15-20 years and can't figure out how to properly run departments, muchless, execute on a winning athletics vision and goal for this school.
You take the money and run.

This is all on the overall athletic department and administration and lack of no true AD. President Washington shouldn't have to be dealing with a head coach negotiations.... this is the prime role of an ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.

I wanted to find something in here that I could argue about or take exception with to stick up for our leadership, but sadly could not.

NewPatriot

Starter
we don't need your kind poking around with the humble brags and "wHaT wEnT wRoNg" BS. You can't just celebrate your own achievements you have to come in and rub salt in the wound for us? Says a whole lot about you boy.

vcu fan- I come in peace. My brother went to Mason and he was furious when coach L left. This feels very similar. Is the outrage more toward English or the Admin? I would think English saying they are happy with the status quo would really upset Mason Nation. Especially it felt like the Admin didn’t really take advantage of the 2006 run in my opinion as far as investing in the program.

Do you worry about this guy Rambo. Masonmojo "Mr. Diehard fan here with all of 59 posts in 3 years", decided to become the forum police just yesterday.

He does not represent Mason Nation.

Everyone else here, (I mean everyone here), is kind, courteous and a class act.

Makes me proud that mom taught at Mason for 30+ years.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
vcu fan- I come in peace. My brother went to Mason and he was furious when coach L left. This feels very similar. Is the outrage more toward English or the Admin? I would think English saying they are happy with the status quo would really upset Mason Nation. Especially it felt like the Admin didn’t really take advantage of the 2006 run in my opinion as far as investing in the program.
The fact is we don't exactly know on whom to pin our ire. So we'll pin it on you and vcu. ;)

So far, the fury is projected upon a little from column A (Kim English) and a little from column B (admin). I'm sure that both are deserving of some discredit.

But... crisis creates opportunity. Mason needs needs to put on it's big-boy shorts, find a better coach than English, hire a top-rate AD, and fix the internal problem of purported acceptance of mediocrity.

The problem for us Mason fans and our men's basketball athletes and associates is that we fear yet another tear-down and rebuild, which could take another three to four seasons from which to emerge (possibly). We're tired of mediocrity.

In terms that you likely may not understand (simply because you have not experienced it as a vcu fan), we're sick of the vcu dynasty and want to see vcu spend a long turn rotting in the sewer. Over the years, many of your team's fans have been enormous pricks to us, especially in the old CAA days.

That is why @MasonMojo body-slammed you as you poked your toe through the crack in the door. Although you came "in peace" I don't wish that my explanation eased any pain inflicted by @MasonMojo, only, I hope that I have extended an opportunity of understanding.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Do you worry about this guy Rambo. Masonmojo "Mr. Diehard fan here with all of 59 posts in 3 years", decided to become the forum police just yesterday.

Wow! I think you are overestimating our wonderfulness, but I'll take it. Thanks. ;)

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Wow! I think you are overestimating our wonderfulness, but I'll take it. Thanks. ;)
Agreed. We are not that wonderful. But most sports fan forum posters are not representative of the general population of stakeholders of a university.

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On

now who is the forum police judging people's fanhood based on their number of posts :rolleyes:

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's anger and frustration at both I'd say.

1. Here we have an upcoming hyped up young, vibrant new coach with ties to the DMV that checked a lot of boxes to try and make us relevant again in the basketball world so we were drinking the kool-aid and many bought in. All to have it wiped away in a few days is head spinning.

2. Then for many of us who have been through the ups and downs with Coach L and all the crap that has developed over the years with our Athletic Department dropping the ball on many things it's a mixture of both things really.

Much like vcu we really do have a good fanbase of diehards where our hearts have been toyed with over and over again to realize we are in the same place now and will continue to slip until real change in our athletic philosophy is really looked in to and addressed properly with proper goals and visions for our school and community. We have a great school with so much potential yet we flounder in athletics. AND...Will this ever happen is the real question.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
2024.03.23 • 1:46pm...

National Search Underway for George Mason Men's Basketball Coach

FAIRFAX, Va. – A national search is underway to name George Mason University’s next men’s basketball head coach, Mason President Gregory Washington said Thursday.

Kim English is departing George Mason to become the head men’s basketball coach at Providence College.

“We are moving quickly and looking nationwide to identify our next men’s head basketball coach, and we expect to have an announcement soon,” Washington said. “While I am disappointed that Coach English did not accept our offer to retain him, I wish him continued success at Providence.”

“Coach English and his team brought the excitement back to George Mason basketball. They reminded Mason Nation and the college sports world of our basketball program’s heritage and massive potential,” Washington said.

Washington said Mason’s current search for a permanent athletics director also will be accelerated and will be completed in the coming weeks.

“We have made significant commitments to enhance our basketball and academic facilities, and along with a new athletics director, our next coach will step into an exciting new era at Mason athletics,” Washington said.

Nena Rogers, Mason’s interim athletics director, said, “I want to thank Coach English for the relentless energy and passion he infused into the George Mason basketball program over the past two years. We are grateful for the work Kim and his staff have done to position us for sustained success within the Atlantic 10 and on a national level. We wish him the very best as he embarks on his next step at Providence.”

“We have a proud basketball tradition here at George Mason. I am confident Mason will find a dynamic leader who will continue to build on that tradition,” Rogers said

Aldousflux

Recruit
2024.03.23 • 1:46pm...

National Search Underway for George Mason Men's Basketball Coach

FAIRFAX, Va. – A national search is underway to name George Mason University’s next men’s basketball head coach, Mason President Gregory Washington said Thursday.

Kim English is departing George Mason to become the head men’s basketball coach at Providence College.

“We are moving quickly and looking nationwide to identify our next men’s head basketball coach, and we expect to have an announcement soon,” Washington said. “While I am disappointed that Coach English did not accept our offer to retain him, I wish him continued success at Providence.”

“Coach English and his team brought the excitement back to George Mason basketball. They reminded Mason Nation and the college sports world of our basketball program’s heritage and massive potential,” Washington said.

Washington said Mason’s current search for a permanent athletics director also will be accelerated and will be completed in the coming weeks.

“We have made significant commitments to enhance our basketball and academic facilities, and along with a new athletics director, our next coach will step into an exciting new era at Mason athletics,” Washington said.

Nena Rogers, Mason’s interim athletics director, said, “I want to thank Coach English for the relentless energy and passion he infused into the George Mason basketball program over the past two years. We are grateful for the work Kim and his staff have done to position us for sustained success within the Atlantic 10 and on a national level. We wish him the very best as he embarks on his next step at Providence.”

“We have a proud basketball tradition here at George Mason. I am confident Mason will find a dynamic leader who will continue to build on that tradition,” Rogers said
AD being completed within the next couple of weeks is the most important piece of this.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Beating the dead horse re: Admin/AD failures. Let me know if I'm missing anything but I believe the below represents the only tangible, larger scale, basketball-related facility upgrades since 2011. It really goes back to post-Final Four but I'm using Coach L's departure as a benchmark. Not looking at things like the scoreboard which really benefits the fans more than the program.

- Locker Room Renovations: ~ cost of $1M (completed in 2019)
- Practice Facility Phase 1: ~ cost of $1M (completed in 2017)

That's it.

Phase 1 of the Practice Facility was really slapping some paint and branding on the walls, and adding some new flooring/hoops to an already existing space. This project was announced SIX years ago and it's been radio silence since on Phase 2, which was supposed to include a large scale addition to the RAC to build out a true Basketball Practice/Training/Resource Facility.

We've upped our game in the salary department (credit where it's due), but we're WAY overdue (dead horse) on allocating more funds and resources to building out the infrastructure needed to build and sustain a successful basketball program.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
From where did CKE's comment or implication of his "exhaustion from acceptance of mediocrity" originate? Did he say this somewhere, or was it someone putting words into his mouth? If the latter, the source was not disclosed, nor a link posted. Can someone give me, and the Mason fan base here, an assist?

Beating the dead horse re: Admin/AD failures. Let me know if I'm missing anything but I believe the below represents the only tangible, larger scale, basketball-related facility upgrades since 2011. It really goes back to post-Final Four but I'm using Coach L's departure as a benchmark. Not looking at things like the scoreboard which really benefits the fans more than the program.

- Locker Room Renovations: ~ cost of $1M (completed in 2019)
- Practice Facility Phase 1: ~ cost of $1M (completed in 2017)

That's it.

Phase 1 of the Practice Facility was really slapping some paint and branding on the walls, and adding some new flooring/hoops to an already existing space. This project was announced SIX years ago and it's been radio silence since on Phase 2, which was supposed to include a large scale addition to the RAC to build out a true Basketball Practice/Training/Resource Facility.

We've upped our game in the salary department (credit where it's due), but we're WAY overdue (dead horse) on allocating more funds and resources to building out the infrastructure needed to build and sustain a successful basketball program.
Something very good is coming on this front

MasonMojo

Preferred Walk-On
From where did CKE's comment or implication of his "exhaustion from acceptance of mediocrity" originate? Did he say this somewhere, or was it someone putting words into his mouth? If the latter, the source was not disclosed, nor a link posted. Can someone give me, and the Mason fan base here, an assist?

It was from some guy on twitter. Let me try to find it for you.

EDIT-- here you are
View: https://twitter.com/JenkinsJacobR/status/1638531378181545985?s=20

KAOriginal

All-American
Whether that is an actual quote....it had been rumored by others that he was unhappy day 1 with "the Mason Mindset" once he saw the reality of how things operated.

He15man

Starter
This is part of the problem. Why can't they communicate updates on things that would drive serious buzz and excitement around the program? And again, it's been SIX years since they announced the Practice Facility project.
I'm told more on these athletic enhancements are "coming soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.