Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I know Kim is currently re-recruiting Josh right now but this definitely isn’t a bad look to future recruits. Come be a part of Mason Basketball, Coach English takes you out for steak dinners and NBA All-stars acknowledge it. Love it.

For a trip down memory lane, do you recall the following tweet?

Jim Larrañaga

@CanesCoachL

·
Aug 19, 2009

Compliance meetings begin tmw for the new year. New NCAA rule allows us to provide players bagels but no cream cheese or butter. Love it!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ideally you’d want to keep Oduro, and then bring in some kind of transfer (even a one year guy) so Henry has the time to develop. And get a big in the 2022 class.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Oduro has all the tools. He lacked confidence early on, but I think he proved to himself he can play with anyone. He has the ability to be a pretty good player.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That’s a whole different kind of portal

iu

patriotchild

Starter
I never said we practiced too hard, but DP did lean on freshmen too early. IMO, sometimes it felt like we were not built to finish strong, I could be wrong.

I know it was discussed in the boards as to why it seemed like we were always breaking down at the end of the year. One of the ideas floated was that Dave rode them too hard in practice. Maybe I’m over stating that theory.

Agree the rosters weren’t built right, which probably factored into it more than practicing hard. Maybe if English fixes that and balancing mental fortitude we can get over that hump.

PrimeRib3

Three-star Recruit
The Wizards also held training camp at EBA/Patriot Center back then, and would use the RAC, so he had been around.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"There are a couple of bonuses from Paulsen’s original and amended contracts that are missing in English’s contract.

For instance, Paulsen received attendance bonuses and ranking-based bonuses. English does not receive either of those. The absence of ranking-based bonuses could be attributed to the NCAA’s decision to change to the NET ranking system from the RPI system, but the reason for the absence of attendance bonuses is unknown.

Another interesting aspect is that English does not receive any bonuses for postseason tournaments other than the NCAA tournament. Paulsen’s contract included a $10,000 bonus for an NIT appearance, a $25,000 bonus for a semi-final appearance and a $75,000 bonus for an NIT tournament win.

The last notable aspect of the contract is the buyout from the university. If the university wishes to buy out English in his first or second year, it would have to pay 100 percent of the base salary and supplemental compensation ($925,000). If it decides to buy him out before the end of his third year, it would pay 75 percent of the base salary and supplemental compensation ($693,750). Finally, if the university decides to buy out in the final two years, it would have to pay 50 percent of the base salary and supplemental compensation ($462,500)."

patriotchild

Starter
Wonder whose call it was on the attendance and NIT bonuses? English strikes me as a guy who only sees the NCAA but it may also be a push from the AD signaling we aren’t settling. Either way I think that’s great.

I’m not familiar with all the terminology. Is the supplemental compensation guaranteed?

Very reasonable buy out those last two years.

Thanks for posting. Good get by the student newspaper!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Supplemental compensation is guaranteed.
To build on this — it’s indeed guaranteed and generally paid by a booster club at most schools, not sure if that is how we execute it or not but if we do then it would be paid by the patriot club. It is separate from his performance incentives.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The way this contract is written screams to me that Mason is not messing around with English as a coach and has high expectations (as they should). Between the amount of guaranteed compensation, the types of bonuses, etc, they are not looking to finish 7th and be okay with it.

Still can't believe the commitment I am seeing.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The way this contract is written screams to me that Mason is not messing around with English as a coach and has high expectations (as they should). Between the amount of guaranteed compensation, the types of bonuses, etc, they are not looking to finish 7th and be okay with it.

I withheld getting excited until after we passed April 1

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

From Petey's interview with Edwards, it certainly sounds like it. A lot of good specific information about where the program was lacking compared to the A-10 in there.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
From Petey's interview with Edwards, it certainly sounds like it. A lot of good specific information about where the program was lacking compared to the A-10 in there.

If we were to ever having a coach's show, I think Petey would be a great candidate to host it. He has great knowledge of Mason basketball, the A10 and the entire college hoops landscape. He also has a very conversational interview style, which is a lot harder to pull off than some might think. He would have to start using his real name, which might be a dealbreaker since he seems to prefer hiding behind his alter ego's persona.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.