Welcome DeVon Cooper

FreeGunston12

All-American
I wonder if some of them put feelers out there before entering the portal.
Yeah, I'm so ignorant to how that all works. Aren't there rules about contact? Can the player initiate the contact, but not the coach before being in the portal? I think that is how it works?

Could this have been the recruiting call during the radio interview the other day?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, I'm so ignorant to how that all works. Aren't there rules about contact? Can the player initiate the contact, but not the coach before being in the portal? I think that is how it works?

Could this have been the recruiting call during the radio interview the other day?
There are back channel conversations going both ways even before guys are officially in the portal. Honestly that’s the smart way to do it — with over 1,200 names on the transfer list, if you don’t have a pretty good idea somebody else wants you, probably best not to burn bridges with your current coach.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Tournament experience in both these two commits. Looks like Cooper had a pretty good game against WVU in the opening round.

One of the things I really like about the two new commits. It’s one thing to win in high school. It’s a total different quality to be able to win at the division 1 level and have made the ncaa tournament.

really excited about the potential these two can bring along with that winning experience.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Polite
Cooper
Schwartz
Miller ?
Oduro ?

Pretty big. Pretty strong. Pretty good from 3. I think KE has let everyone know if you aren't on board now I'll find someone to replace you. He's not waiting around. Kudos for that.

That could definitely work. I wouldn't rule out any of the current PG on the roster as potential starters and that includes Hartwell (I know, I know, what a lot of you feel about Hartwell, but it's a new coach, new system, and everyone has a chance).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That could definitely work. I wouldn't rule out any of the current PG on the roster as potential starters and that includes Hartwell (I know, I know, what a lot of you feel about Hartwell, but it's a new coach, new system, and everyone has a chance).
No offense to Jamal but if he’s starting by November, we’ve got major problems at the PG spot. He can’t guard anyone. At least XJ has an excuse that he was playing on one good leg — if healthy I’d like to think he will put up a fight to stay with his assignment.

Herndon

All-Conference
Solid. We will see how it plays out obviously, with a guy transferring "up" but they played Richmond about as tough as we did, so they're likely at least ABOUT in our neighborhood. So he was a solid starter, that will provide some shooting.

Looks to be a good pickup. 2/2 for English, it appears (with all the usual caveats that games are played on the court and not on recruiting visits)

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Solid. We will see how it plays out obviously, with a guy transferring "up" but they played Richmond about as tough as we did, so they're likely at least ABOUT in our neighborhood. So he was a solid starter, that will provide some shooting.

Looks to be a good pickup. 2/2 for English, it appears (with all the usual caveats that games are played on the court and not on recruiting visits)

They also beat Belmont in the OVC title game.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No offense to Jamal but if he’s starting by November, we’ve got major problems at the PG spot. He can’t guard anyone. At least XJ has an excuse that he was playing on one good leg — if healthy I’d like to think he will put up a fight to stay with his assignment.

I hear you, and we will find out if he is just incapable of defending or not. It’s day zero for all the guys who stuck around.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I hear you, and we will find out if he is just incapable of defending or not. It’s day zero for all the guys who stuck around.
Speaking of . . . I think the consensus is to expect Greene to transfer. Still, I would be excited to see what he could do under KE. It just always seemed like a bad fit under DP. I still think he could be a solid point guard, thinking about times like those 39 points against Richmond. All probably a moot point.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure many recent PGs at Mason have been strong defenders. I loved Kolek’s freshman year but defense especially against BLOB plays wasn’t a highlight. Otis Livingston had some challenges as well.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah Schwartz is 230 and Cooper 201. Grad transfers with physical maturity and multiple years in Division I strength and conditioning programs. If those guys’ bodies break down next season it means we’re cursed.
Yes, we have always overly relied on freshmen who are still skinny kids.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Hope it works out as well as the kid who transferred up from Radford to L'ville. Name escapes me.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not sure many recent PGs at Mason have been strong defenders. I loved Kolek’s freshman year but defense especially against BLOB plays wasn’t a highlight. Otis Livingston had some challenges as well.

Well, if he's going to run something like Thibodeau's defense (he alluded to studying it in one interview), there's going to be a lot of pressure placed on the guards to be able to keep their man from going down the middle and to channel them to the sides and/or into a big for a contested jump shot. The big's job would be to stick to the roller on high ball screens so the guard with the ball has no easy outlet pass and has to make a play on their own. So whoever is guarding out there on the perimeter better be able to stay in front of their man. Right now, that's Polite over any of the other potential PGs.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Well, if he's going to run something like Thibodeau's defense (he alluded to studying it in one interview), there's going to be a lot of pressure placed on the guards to be able to keep their man from going down the middle and to channel them to the sides and/or into a big for a contested jump shot. The big's job would be to stick to the roller on high ball screens so the guard with the ball has no easy outlet pass and has to make a play on their own. So whoever is guarding out there on the perimeter better be able to stay in front of their man. Right now, that's Polite over any of the other potential PGs.
Oh I agree and hope to see it.