Still Waiting for Erik Copes

mason2k1

Starter
Why was that game against UMASS such a fluke?
Why can't that be the norm??
This showed his potential, he really can be a beast.
Why can't our coaches isolate what he did differently, and do what coaches are supposed to do?? so that we can see that Copes again this year, or next year??
Tap into his potential.
Copes showed he can play better then he currently does.
I now lay blame on the coaches for not coaching him up.
Still waiting on the coaches.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Coaches can do a lot, but they can't make a guy not foul. I'm sure they have worked on his fundamentals and footwork, but the kid simply can't resist jumping into shooters for biting on pump fakes. Just the fact that he acts surprised every time he is called for a foul shows how much he still doesn't get it.

Copes will never be consistent until he can consistently stay on the court. After going almost three-quarters of the UMass game before he picked up his second foul, he resorted right back to his whack-a-mole style of defense.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
When I saw practice, during the scrimmage, copes was doing the same fouls and no one said anything. So, he is playing the same way he practices.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When I saw practice, during the scrimmage, copes was doing the same fouls and no one said anything. So, he is playing the same way he practices.

Yep, you play like you practice. He should be instructed every day to maintain his position, move his feet and stay vertical. Every day.

The same is probably true of our guards.

Masonfan3

Starter
Coaches can do a lot, but they can't make a guy not foul. I'm sure they have worked on his fundamentals and footwork, but the kid simply can't resist jumping into shooters for biting on pump fakes. Just the fact that he acts surprised every time he is called for a foul shows how much he still doesn't get it.

Copes will never be consistent until he can consistently stay on the court. After going almost three-quarters of the UMass game before he picked up his second foul, he resorted right back to his whack-a-mole style of defense.

Leaving his feet on pump fakes is the thing the gets me more than anything but he also can't resist the urge to swing his arms/swat every time he jumps to block a shot. Even if he is defending a 5 foot midget (Chaz) he will still do that. I think part of the problem is every time he commits a stupid foul like that I look at the bench and Hewitt/Houston have no reaction or defend him. The coaches need to hold him accountable but we lack depth at the 5 so it's hard to do.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Leaving his feet on pump fakes is the thing the gets me more than anything but he also can't resist the urge to swing his arms/swat every time he jumps to block a shot. Even if he is defending a 5 foot midget (Chaz) he will still do that. I think part of the problem is every time he commits a stupid foul like that I look at the bench and Hewitt/Houston have no reaction or defend him. The coaches need to hold him accountable but we lack depth at the 5 so it's hard to do.

Our whole team fouls way too much, it isn't just Copes. Maybe in the offseason they can bring in a ref for a couple of scrimmages to whistle every single foul, no matter how slight, so they can get it through their heads just how lazy these guys are on defense (hacking and reaching and grabbing is just plain laziness).

mason2k1

Starter
Copes with an Ok game, didn't pick up bis first foul until late in the game? Copes doesn't foul = G Mas Win?

3 reb
7 points 3/6 FG
1/4 from the line

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Does anyone believe that Erik Copes will learn to stay out of foul trouble and have a good senior season?

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
He is another reason why Hewitt not being fired yet sucks, the fact that his out of shape, terrible basketball IQ a**, will be on the floor for a lot of minutes next season because of uncle Houston. what a joke.

#sigh

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Does anyone believe that Erik Copes will learn to stay out of foul trouble and have a good senior season?

No, but that's also why Hewitt brought in a 7 foot JUCO and a 6'10 freshman with upside.

In all honesty, I just hope he avoids being suspended to start the season for the third time in a row.

Dawgs99

Starter
Copes better have his shit together or he will loose time in his senior season to Shevon Thompson. SH was brought here because of his ability to rebound the ball. It will be nice to have another option this year at the 5, if nothing else than to push Copes for PT.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Shevon Thompson is every bit a 7 footer with long arms. With how foul prone Copes is I can envision a 50/50 time split between the two. I've seen Thompson play a few times now at Kenner and it looks like he has cardio issues, looking winded in just about 5 minutes of play. That might be a reason why he only averaged 20 min or so in juco.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jackson has bad feet. THOMPSON needs an oxygen tank. Lockett bad knee. Moore rumored out for the year.....yep, should be a fun year of losing and excuses by PH.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
At least that's correctable with conditioning.

Wondering what has taken so long? He's played two years post HS while most true freshman come in ready to at least hang with guys at kenner. hopefully he can fix it.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For whatever reasons (e.g., injuries, foul trouble, & suspensions), Erik Copes' career so far has been a tease. We've seen flashes where it appears that he could be the dominant player he was projected to be coming out of a very successful high school program. But, like the Hewitt era he helps to define, he has yet to show that he can play at a high level on a consistent basis.

As much as we've been disappointed in Erik's career, I can only imagine how he feels about it. Let's hope that the waiting ends and he has a good senior season!

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Due to injuries and suspensions, Erik Copes has now missed a total of 20 games in his career. He had already lost his starting position to JUCO transfer Shevon Thompson, who is currently averaging a double-double (11.6 ppg & 11.6 rpg). Additionally, freshman Trey Porter has been averaging 15.5 minutes per game in the 4 games that he's played.

So, what will Copes' likely role be when he returns from shoulder injury?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Due to injuries and suspensions, Erik Copes has now missed a total of 20 games in his career. He had already lost his starting position to JUCO transfer Shevon Thompson, who is currently averaging a double-double (11.6 ppg & 11.6 rpg). Additionally, freshman Trey Porter has been averaging 15.5 minutes per game in the 4 games that he's played.

So, what will Copes' likely role be when he returns from shoulder injury?
I think he stays on the bench with few minutes available. To his credit I have seen Erik be a vocal and enthusiastic supporter of his teammates while on the bench due to injury.