Still Waiting for Erik Copes

He seems to have the misconception that blocks pretty much equals defense.

I do wonder how much his injuries robbed him of explosiveness sometimes, but the bottom line is his bad defense has nothing to do with that. He doesn't move his feet, and he plays in that whole "barely fouled him, my hands were straight up" bubble when he needs to be aggressively getting his body in between his guy and the basket while giving contact.
And when he does foul, it needs to be a man's foul.
Don't worry, Erik still gets his minutes. Always will barring strike 3.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't worry, Erik still gets his minutes. Always will barring strike 3.

Jollay, he only played 14 minutes last night, and that was because J2 and Jenkins both fouled out and Marko picked up two early fouls. Copes has obviously been a huge disappointment on and off the court, but I'd rather him playing the 5 when we are in foul trouble over Okoloji. I think you and I both agree that we should see more 4-guard lineups.

The bigger issue here is why our coaching staff — specifically Copes' uncle — can't teach our big men how to play defense without fouling. It would be one thing if DeShawn Painter was still at ODU, but our big men just allowed their players to drive to the basket at will last night.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
A few of us that attended the game last night at ODU were joking about how many seconds Copes would get into a game. At one point (not counting the final 2 minutes of regulation), it was less than 15 seconds.

Another point, it was six minutes straight.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jollay, he only played 14 minutes last night, and that was because J2 and Jenkins both fouled out and Marko picked up two early fouls. Copes has obviously been a huge disappointment on and off the court, but I'd rather him playing the 5 when we are in foul trouble over Okoloji. I think you and I both agree that we should see more 4-guard lineups.

The bigger issue here is why our coaching staff — specifically Copes' uncle — can't teach our big men how to play defense without fouling. It would be one thing if DeShawn Painter was still at ODU, but our big men just allowed their players to drive to the basket at will last night.

Pretty easy to get baskets against us. Step One, park your center 10 to 12 feet to the right or left of the basket and watch GMUs center guard him like he's posting up at point blank range. Two, Run a high ball screen at the top of the key. Three watch your guard waltz in for an uncontested layup.

I'd do that all day long if I were the opposing coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Still waiting for Erik Copes to come out and admit he is really a women and promptly leave the Mens Bball program!

Brilliant. lol. He's as big up top as my girl as you can all see.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Still waiting for Erik Copes to come out and admit he is really a women and promptly leave the Mens Bball program!

I think Copes is liking his/her favorite childhood movie of Juwanna Mann a little too much!

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
This is your brain on Copes

1314011768_talking_fried_egg.gif

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Erik Copes' FG%:

2011-12: 45.2% (38-84)
2012-13: 47.4% (82-173)
2013-14: 67.9% (19-28)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Erik Copes' FG%:

2011-12: 45.2% (38-84)
2012-13: 47.4% (82-173)
2013-14: 67.9% (19-28)

Who knows what Copes could do, if he played in an offense that emphasized post play and with guards who knew how to pass the ball?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Who knows what Copes could do, if he played in an offense that emphasized post play and with guards who knew how to pass the ball?

True but he'd still have to catch the ball if somebody threw it to him, hardly a given for Copes. The odd thing is he has shown at times to have soft touch with his shot when he's not breaking backboards -- including two nifty buckets last night.