Season tickets 2014-15

Dawgs99

Starter
Call me crazy but I think the graduation of Sherrod could very well be addition by subtraction. SW was a gifted scorer, but thats it. Sherrod didn't make his teammates any better and lord knows he struggled to handle the ball and play defense. His departure will open things up for other guys this season. Who are those other guys? I have no clue but I know I won't miss a 5th year senior dribble the ball of his foot multiple times a game.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Call me crazy but I think the graduation of Sherrod could very well be addition by subtraction. SW was a gifted scorer, but thats it. Sherrod didn't make his teammates any better and lord knows he struggled to handle the ball and play defense. His departure will open things up for other guys this season. Who are those other guys? I have no clue but I know I won't miss a 5th year senior dribble the ball of his foot multiple times a game.

The logic of addition by subtraction (especially when talking about your best player) makes no sense here. There is no way, what so ever that losing Sherrod will in anyway benefit us now. You could use him as a liability on a strong defensive team, but in reality on a team that struggled with defense....the only reason we were in games at times was due to him.

Would you miss that 5th year senior pouring in 25 points? Will you miss that 5th year senior, if the team struggles to score consistently this year? Who would miss mistakes, from any player? Dont even try and Redskin esque half way full, silver lining the situation of Sherrod graduating lol....

Plus given the fact he graduated, as well as Allen, your point makes even less sense. New guys would have to come in anyway, it didnt open a spot per se the same way a player deciding to leave via free agency does. "Open spots" generally coincide with a 4 or in some case 5 years cycle when guys graduate.

Now before you call me negative, Im not slighting any new guys or their ability....I just really disagree with your take on Sherrod.

Last edited:

Dawgs99

Starter
Perhaps addition by subtraction was a little harsh. SW was a great player for Mason and he will be missed. With that said, I have no problem with your take on Sherrod, or its possible impact on the team. And you are correct that SW at times was our offense last year. My take on possible "team" improvements without Sherrod are my opinion, where as your opinion in the above post comes across as fact. The fact of the matter is that 2 players dominated the ball for us on offense last year, with both of those guys gone it will open up more opportunities for several other players. I don't think we will have 1 or 2 guys dominate the ball next year. IMO I wouldn't be surprised to see better ball movement and better flow with less ball watching from the other 3 guys on the court. Also, wether or not a player graduates, transfers, or red-shirts the point remains the same....he is gone, thus the dynamic of the team with change. Like I said call me crazy.....

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I can see both sides of the equation in this one. Don't get me wrong, Mason not having Sherrod and BA will impact the offense because that was such a big chunk of it. However, with what Dawgs said, with those guys gone, perhaps the team can become a bit more balanced. I love Sherrod and BA as much as the next person, but we all know there were plenty of times when theyd score a ton but have a key turnover or mistake. The team has to figure out how to limit the crunch time mistakes one way or another, because it cost them too many games last year.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We certainly can't be any worse defensively and passing the ball without BA, Sherrod and J2.

Whether we're good or not, I want to see a team that's willing and able to guard and share the ball. If the upperclassmen won't do it, Hewitt needs to play the young guys and see if they have a clue about playing the game the right way.

mason89

Starter
First, I was a big fan of Wright and Allen and yes we'll miss their scoring. However, with the departure of our seniors (including Williams), we are also "losing" around 45% of our turnovers and 38% of our personal fouls from last year...if I remember correctly.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
...Hewitt needs to play the young guys and see if they have a clue about playing the game the right way.

I really hope this is the case, Jim. Our seniors (Copes, Edwards and Gray) are certainly capable of contributing, but this season needs to be about playing for the future since the present pretty much sucks.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I really hope this is the case, Jim. Our seniors (Copes, Edwards and Gray) are certainly capable of contributing, but this season needs to be about playing for the future since the present pretty much sucks.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I anticipate not playing for the future. When ones job is at stake they tend to think more about short term success than long term health. It's the whole gm-head coach argument in the nfl concept.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I anticipate not playing for the future. When ones job is at stake they tend to think more about short term success than long term health. It's the whole gm-head coach argument in the nfl concept.

You're most likely right, Vurbel. I'd just much rather see Royal and Thompson get significant minutes over Copes if the production is going to be the same. Same thing with Lockett and Mayimba over Gray. As much as I'd like to see what Gray could do with more minutes, I'm also wondering if that ship has sailed in terms of his relationship with Hewitt.

Unfortunately, if the rumors are true about Moore being out, we will have no choice but to rely heavily on Edwards this year. Hopefully, he's learned to be more aggressive, because his timidness brings whatever offense we do run to a grinding halt.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Back to discussion... when is Mason going to dump ticketmaster? These processing fees are almost as bad as watching us blow 20 point leads.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Davidson0-0.0000-0.000
Dayton0-0.0000-0.000
Duquesne0-0.0000-0.000
Fordham0-0.0000-0.000
George Mason0-0.0000-0.000
George Washington0-0.0000-0.000
La Salle0-0.0000-0.000
Massachusetts0-0.0000-0.000
Rhode Island0-0.0000-0.000
Richmond0-0.0000-0.000
Saint Joseph's0-0.0000-0.000
Saint Louis0-0.0000-0.000
St. Bonaventure0-0.0000-0.000
vcu0-0.0000-0.000

The good news is we're currently in 5th place!!!!!!!

Hewitt ought to take a screenshot and show it to Edwards in hopes of getting an extension. We're certainly not getting any closer to first place than we are right now.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Perhaps addition by subtraction was a little harsh. SW was a great player for Mason and he will be missed. With that said, I have no problem with your take on Sherrod, or its possible impact on the team. And you are correct that SW at times was our offense last year. My take on possible "team" improvements without Sherrod are my opinion, where as your opinion in the above post comes across as fact. The fact of the matter is that 2 players dominated the ball for us on offense last year, with both of those guys gone it will open up more opportunities for several other players. I don't think we will have 1 or 2 guys dominate the ball next year. IMO I wouldn't be surprised to see better ball movement and better flow with less ball watching from the other 3 guys on the court. Also, wether or not a player graduates, transfers, or red-shirts the point remains the same....he is gone, thus the dynamic of the team with change. Like I said call me crazy.....

How so? I mentioned my opinion and why I disagreed with you, no different than you did.......I understand you often dont like my opinion, but in no way do I proclaim mine as fact.

Sherrod and Allen were important parts of the team during their tenure and basically carried us through last year. But their time has come and gone, and their impact is gone.....it is now time for the next crop to step in and make their mark. The concept the team dynamic will change is obvious, most coaches (not sure if Hewitt is included sometimes) would accommodate the game plan toward their current roster, so knowing we dont have two guys like Allen and Wright I would assume PH would get more looks, as well as Royal and Jenkins. Who else emerges from that, we shall see.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
First, I was a big fan of Wright and Allen and yes we'll miss their scoring. However, with the departure of our seniors (including Williams), we are also "losing" around 45% of our turnovers and 38% of our personal fouls from last year...if I remember correctly.

Stats are misleading, the more minutes you play the more stats you accumulate, good and bad. Chances are, the guys walking into more pt will see their stats (good and bad) increase as well.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Please, just leave me and my family alone. I dont want to end up like poor ACW, but this message board...it's all I have.

Move on dude, it wasnt that funny the first time......7 months later its still not funny. Had I known how long you would drag one comment of randomly seeing you and your weird clothing choices at an alumni event before homecoming, only figuring it was you because people wore a name tag.....I wouldnt have even bothered.

Last edited: