Regular Season Home Attendance

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The culture of being a student at Mason states that for fun people hang out with friends, their frat/sorority, whatever club their in, etc. At schools like Duke, vcu, Kansas, and Dayton it is an expectation that students support the basketball team.
It has also grown to be a culture that Duke, vcu, Kansas, and Dayton are going to win many many more games than they lose.... It will take a bit more time but we are getting there with Paulsen. Just look at Kansas football's attendance (similar to Mason's bball attendance lol). Winning brings fans. We just so happen to not be in a college town either and have to compete with one of the largest markets in America. Gtown used to get more fans than the Wizards at the Verizon center...... THe last couple of years they get nobody to go to their games...

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
It has also grown to be a culture that Duke, vcu, Kansas, and Dayton are going to win many many more games than they lose.... It will take a bit more time but we are getting there with Paulsen. Just look at Kansas football's attendance (similar to Mason's bball attendance lol). Winning brings fans. We just so happen to not be in a college town either and have to compete with one of the largest markets in America. Gtown used to get more fans than the Wizards at the Verizon center...... THe last couple of years they get nobody to go to their games...

True. We are in a unique market when compared to other schools. But even after the FF we never packed the PC except against other Virginia schools who brought a couple thousand fans (UVA, vcu, JMU, etc.)

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Average announced attendance for the first 5 home games of the 2021-22 season is 3,580:

Stony Brook - 4,558
Penn - 4,053
Morgan State - 2,915
Old Dominion - 3,529
Navy - 2,845

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Average announced attendance for the first 5 home games of the 2021-22 season is 3,580:

Stony Brook - 4,558
Penn - 4,053
Morgan State - 2,915
Old Dominion - 3,529
Navy - 2,845
Oooof.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I see the drop in attendance continuing with the two remaining home games before Christmas. American and Coppin St. will not draw well, especially the 4PM game on the 23rd with Coppin. A Thursday afternoon the day before Christmas Eve? We'll be lucky to get 1,000 in the building for that. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I see the drop in attendance continuing with the two remaining home games before Christmas. American and Coppin St. will not draw well, especially the 4PM game on the 23rd with Coppin. A Thursday afternoon the day before Christmas Eve? We'll be lucky to get 1,000 in the building for that. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I’m mainly curious how our drop in average attendance this year compares to other schools. With covid still being a factor for some folks in deciding to go or not. Caught some of the SLU game last night and it looked empty for a draw vs a good Belmont team, so I’d imagine outside of the traditional sell out teams that were not alone in our dip this year. Or at least I hope.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

That Thursday before Xmas game sometimes gets a lot of school kids, I think? It’s done sort of community game they’ve been doing.

Otherwise agree.

Masonfan3

Starter
I’m mainly curious how our drop in average attendance this year compares to other schools. With covid still being a factor for some folks in deciding to go or not. Caught some of the SLU game last night and it looked empty for a draw vs a good Belmont team, so I’d imagine outside of the traditional sell out teams that were not alone in our dip this year. Or at least I hope.

I have been seeing the same thing with most of the games I have watched. However, for us I think it has a lot to do with the teams we are playing. Let's be honest, most of our student/fanbase know very little about college basketball and will only come watch if we are playing the likes of UVA, MD, etc. On that note, JMU had a sellout last night against UVA. Hoping that CKE can get some "power" schools to come to EBA next season.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
FWIW on attendance, I spend a good deal of time in Richmond's hospitals. Although visitation is now allowed (with masks) the once bustling hallways (staff, visitors, maintenence crews, docs, nurses,) are virtually empty.
Not sure if that's any indication of basketball games, but just an observation.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That Thursday before Xmas game sometimes gets a lot of school kids, I think? It’s done sort of community game they’ve been doing.

Otherwise agree.

That’s what I was thinking. If I was in the area and my kids were home from school and I didn’t want them bothering me for two hours (and felt like spending waaaay too much on concessions) I’d be there for sure.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I got emails from SLU on Monday and Tuesday about a 2 for $10 ticket deal for the Belmont game. They were trying to get butts in the seats.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think I'll bring my son to the game on the 23rd. I'll shoot and he can chill in the student section. I think Mason used to have a deal you can buy a ticket in the student section for ten bucks during holiday games. We took advantage of that for the UMBC game in 2019

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
My plan for the Homecoming game is to drink 17 beers in the parking lot, and then go to the student section to get them to stand up the entire game and maybe chant f*** vcu a few times (or defense, I guess that works too).

But yea, to the larger point, we've been a middling team for the better part of 10 years now. That's going to nuke any passion or desire for attending games. Nothing is going to fix that outside of winning, and winning consistently.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
1639001545609.png

Someone must have seen my earlier post.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Each home game this year so far the students have shown up and packed the student sections on the end up to the rafters. KE and the Athletics department have done a great job of engaging students and getting them to games. Also much more energy and excitement from them this year in all of the past 3-4 years. Whatever they are promoting or providing any perks to them seems to be working. Also, having a young, energetic coach that reaches out to them certainly helps.

Now it's the alumni and average NOVA residents that are lacking this year. So many open seats in the first 6-8 rows across the entire arena and sections. Can see they are hurting to get alumni re-engaged and back to games. Hopefully this $10 ticket deal over the next 4 games will help but these games during the holidays are always tough to get people to... with holiday events, NCAA bowl games, and NFL games/playoffs hurting the draw as well.

One thing I still don't get is the 4-6 dancer girls who take up 6-8 rows on the opposite end zone over by the band to do their "dancing". IMO they bring nothing to the table for a fan experience and they make me cringe. Waste of great seating potential for students and really need more energy in those prime seats. That is a prime location to stick some intoxicated students at to berate the visiting team bench and foul shooters.

My section has been about 20% full each game and its right behind our bench. Seems KE and staff has their ticket allotment in my section where they invite their family and friends and have seen a bunch of local high school coaches sitting in rows around me. Talked to a few of them and seems they are all there to see Oduro. Almost all of them are from coaches in MD which is interesting. Glad they are coming..... can only help with building relationships and recruiting. KE's wife/ex-wife and kids were at one game but didn't get a chance to engage. KE came right over after the game and hugged his kids and didn't really say much to his ex-wife/wife. After that she bolted with the kids.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Each home game this year so far the students have shown up and packed the student sections on the end up to the rafters. KE and the Athletics department have done a great job of engaging students and getting them to games. Also much more energy and excitement from them this year in all of the past 3-4 years. Whatever they are promoting or providing any perks to them seems to be working. Also, having a young, energetic coach that reaches out to them certainly helps.

Now it's the alumni and average NOVA residents that are lacking this year. So many open seats in the first 6-8 rows across the entire arena and sections. Can see they are hurting to get alumni re-engaged and back to games. Hopefully this $10 ticket deal over the next 4 games will help but these games during the holidays are always tough to get people to... with holiday events, NCAA bowl games, and NFL games/playoffs hurting the draw as well.

One thing I still don't get is the 4-6 dancer girls who take up 6-8 rows on the opposite end zone over by the band to do their "dancing". IMO they bring nothing to the table for a fan experience and they make me cringe. Waste of great seating potential for students and really need more energy in those prime seats. That is a prime location to stick some intoxicated students at to berate the visiting team bench and foul shooters.

My section has been about 20% full each game and its right behind our bench. Seems KE and staff has their ticket allotment in my section where they invite their family and friends and have seen a bunch of local high school coaches sitting in rows around me. Talked to a few of them and seems they are all there to see Oduro. Almost all of them are from coaches in MD which is interesting. Glad they are coming..... can only help with building relationships and recruiting. KE's wife/ex-wife and kids were at one game but didn't get a chance to engage. KE came right over after the game and hugged his kids and didn't really say much to his ex-wife/wife. After that she bolted with the kids.
He references his girls all the time. Never heard him mention a wife. Interesting dynamic. Oh well. None of our business I guess.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

It really is a lack of alum/locals that is dragging down attendance. Wish they’d let us move down to occupy the rows upon rows of empty seats, but the gestapo in 115 who checks my ticket every time I come through the concourse 3-4 times per game to sit in the same seat I’ve had for 6 years now is having none of that.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It really is a lack of alum/locals that is dragging down attendance. Wish they’d let us move down to occupy the rows upon rows of empty seats, but the gestapo in 115 who checks my ticket every time I come through the concourse 3-4 times per game to sit in the same seat I’ve had for 6 years now is having none of that.

He did that even before I moved away. I’ve never seen an usher in 20 years of going to EBA be so ridiculous especially with school donors who he should be familiar with.

External factors aside, all the program can do is try to work on all the promotion they can. English being out and about does a lot.

But until the program improves substantially, games in the non conference against no namer teams won’t draw. Hopefully by the time many folks want to go to large events the program turned the corner and it’s easy to get them.

Last edited:
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Attendance​

Attendance
IndexTeamGTotal ATT.Home ATT.Home AVG/G
1Dayton10935118044213,407.0
2vcu944224355737,114.0
3Richmond929130168955,631.0
4Rhode Island1042642250695,013.0