14Fordham10111053438859.0
Everything considered, that's not bad.
Do most of the students still commute?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I understand why, but, WOW, look at Fordham's average. Less than 1,000 per game.

I feel (a little bit) for St. Joe's. They were averaging in the mid 3k's for home games before the coach change. They seem have pretty much destroyed that program and the fandom with that move.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
External factors aside I think non-conference attendance is always pretty rough for everyone unless you get a marquee game with a lot on the line. I have to think the Big5 games that Lasalle and St Joes play get a lot of attention, but other than that its pretty hard when programs are playing buy games or hosting a game against a non-conference team that the casual fan doesn't care about.

That said, its interesting to see Mason is middle of the pack in attendance. It'll be interesting to see where the shift is once conference play gets going and more is on the line for teams in February. I suspect Dayton and vcu will remain at the top but I wonder who else will be up in the top 5. It would be nice to see Mason get closer to that 4500-5k average in attendance by the end of the year, but I have to think that might be hard.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I understand why, but, WOW, look at Fordham's average. Less than 1,000 per game.

I feel (a little bit) for St. Joe's. They were averaging in the mid 3k's for home games before the coach change. They seem have pretty much destroyed that program and the fandom with that move.
Back in my day, (yeah, I know) we were in the mid 3s too. Me, my friend Ralph, and maybe another guy or too. Long live John Linn!!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The fact that Dayton is averaging that with their home schedule so far (UIC, UMass-Lowell, Lipscomb, Austin Peay, Alabama State, Northern Iowa) is damn impressive.

It would take a Duke or a UVA for us to come close to capacity at EBA in non-conference.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Back in my day, (yeah, I know) we were in the mid 3s too. Me, my friend Ralph, and maybe another guy or too. Long live John Linn!!
Many was the game that I attended as a kid when there MAY have been 50 people in the stands. I feel right at home now at EBA. ;)

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The fact that Dayton is averaging that with their home schedule so far (UIC, UMass-Lowell, Lipscomb, Austin Peay, Alabama State, Northern Iowa) is damn impressive.

It would take a Duke or a UVA for us to come close to capacity at EBA in non-conference.
Have you been to Dayton? Anyone who voluntarily goes to Dayton, the locals will come to the arena just to try and understand why.

My staffing business has a client who has a position near Dayton that pays $250k with a $50k sign on bonus and we’ve had no takers. I’m sure their are pockets of Dayton that are not miserable dead end depressing Soviet era type of city but not enough for me to wonder how they have such great attendance at Dayton mens basketball games.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Have you been to Dayton? Anyone who voluntarily goes to Dayton, the locals will come to the arena just to try and understand why.

My staffing business has a client who has a position near Dayton that pays $250k with a $50k sign on bonus and we’ve had no takers. I’m sure their are pockets of Dayton that are not miserable dead end depressing Soviet era type of city but not enough for me to wonder how they have such great attendance at Dayton mens basketball games.
nothing else going on

back in 1982 as i was graduating from college and looking for a job i interviewed at a company in Dayton. At lunch i got separated from my hosts and while in the cafeteria line some guys came up to me and lowly whispered that i really didnt want to come there as it was bad all the way around.

I did visit there 4 or 5 years ago and watched the First 4 games .

Last edited:

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
$10 seats are in the student sections - 123 and 124
maybe be worth it if you can get there early and sit in the first row
I did that in 2019 vs UMBC. Was in the 5th row and shot the game from there. Got some shots I normally don't get and no refs standing directly in front of me!

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
nothing else going on

back in 1982 as i was graduating from college and looking for a job i interviewed at a company in Dayton. At lunch i got separated from my hosts and while in the cafeteria line some guys came up to me and lowly whispered that i really didnt want to come there as it was bad all the way around.

I did visit there 4 or 5 years ago and watched the First$4 games .
I was in the pep band during the Final Four run and after we beat Michigan State they were just kinda like "OK see you all Saturday for the next game" and then we had to kill roughly 1.75 days in Dayton with literally nothing to do. They got the charter bus to take whoever wanted to go to a mall in the Dayton suburbs for a while, but it was boring. We asked the bus driver about the neighborhood around the hotel if there was anything to do and he said "I wouldn't hang out around here without a gun."

Maybe it's better now? This was a long time ago obviously but all I really remember is that Dayton isn't a place I'd like to go back to or spend any time at. Kind of applies to the other places in Ohio I've been to as well.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was in the pep band during the Final Four run and after we beat Michigan State they were just kinda like "OK see you all Saturday for the next game" and then we had to kill roughly 1.75 days in Dayton with literally nothing to do. They got the charter bus to take whoever wanted to go to a mall in the Dayton suburbs for a while, but it was boring. We asked the bus driver about the neighborhood around the hotel if there was anything to do and he said "I wouldn't hang out around here without a gun."

Maybe it's better now? This was a long time ago obviously but all I really remember is that Dayton isn't a place I'd like to go back to or spend any time at. Kind of applies to the other places in Ohio I've been to as well.
With a crime rate of 50 per one thousand residents, Dayton has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"For the first time in UD Arena history, all season and single game tickets have been sold before the season even began. That announcement was made on Nov. 4. All 17 regular season home games are sold out, extending an ongoing sellout streak for the Flyers to 28."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_9d31c48e-41db-11ec-8d4b-4740ab1a593b.html