Regular Season Home Attendance

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wow, what a story. That is just about the opposite of the way Mason goes about it with overly restrictive tailgating policies, catering to the family crowd instead of the students, etc. Mason could definitely take a page out of their marketing strategy.

My guess, though, is if you were told you'd be expelled from school if you were caught drinking a beer on campus before the game, you might have a problem with that kind of a rule. "Fun" is a relative term. I would also say that the community surrounding GCU is not one that is apt to ever step foot on that campus and I think something like 60% of their students are from out of state, so it makes sense that they'd cater almost exclusively to students rather than alumni (for which there aren't many yet -- the school itself is actually pretty old, but 15 years ago had maybe 500 on campus students? Maybe?) or community members.

I'm not sure how replicable what they do at GCU would be for Mason...but certainly campus police, the AD and university administration could be a little more forward thinking.

Oh, and Phoenix weather in January and February is multitudes better than Fairfax, can't forget that.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
My guess, though, is if you were told you'd be expelled from school if you were caught drinking a beer on campus before the game, you might have a problem with that kind of a rule. "Fun" is a relative term. I would also say that the community surrounding GCU is not one that is apt to ever step foot on that campus and I think something like 60% of their students are from out of state, so it makes sense that they'd cater almost exclusively to students rather than alumni (for which there aren't many yet -- the school itself is actually pretty old, but 15 years ago had maybe 500 on campus students? Maybe?) or community members.

I'm not sure how replicable what they do at GCU would be for Mason...but certainly campus police, the AD and university administration could be a little more forward thinking.

Oh, and Phoenix weather in January and February is multitudes better than Fairfax, can't forget that.
All excellent points, but, I would still expect if we turned the games into more of a party atmosphere for the students, it would go a long way and the type of fans we want at the games would like it too.

FreeGunston12

All-American
All excellent points, but, I would still expect if we turned the games into more of a party atmosphere for the students, it would go a long way and the type of fans we want at the games would like it too.
I definitely think it all starts with the students. As a young alumn, I don't feel the need to be catered to. What I want in a game day atmosphere more than anything is a rowdy student section. Without that, the games just aren't fun to be at, and you might as well save your money and watch on tv.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Like I said before I've never seen college students not react to beer and food.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I definitely think it all starts with the students. As a young alumn, I don't feel the need to be catered to. What I want in a game day atmosphere more than anything is a rowdy student section. Without that, the games just aren't fun to be at, and you might as well save your money and watch on tv.
That is basically what I was trying to say. By making it a party-like/rowdy atmosphere, it is catering to the students (and other rowdy fans of all ages). Instead, they atmosphere they go for seems to cater a little more to the sedentary, sit in your seats and complain about those that are standing end of the spectrum.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That is basically what I was trying to say. By making it a party-like/rowdy atmosphere, it is catering to the students (and other rowdy fans of all ages). Instead, they atmosphere they go for seems to cater a little more to the sedentary, sit in your seats and complain about those that are standing end of the spectrum.

Do you think some of that is legacy thinking? Meaning pre-Final Four?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Do you think some of that is legacy thinking? Meaning pre-Final Four?

Yes. That is what most of my rants over the last several months have been pointing to. It does not feel like there is truly a new sheriff in town, yet. Things, outwardly, still feel very much the same to me and seems to be confirmed by comments by many on here.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Yes. That is what most of my rants over the last several months have been pointing to. It does not feel like there is truly a new sheriff in town, yet. Things, outwardly, still feel very much the same to me and seems to be confirmed by comments by many on here.
Yeah, I keep wondering how we are going to change that. Unfortunately, I think the efforts and promotions of the athletic department either come across as pathetic/desperate or cater to the wrong crowd.

If you've ever been to a DCU game (season opener today btw), the supporter sections do a great job of getting everyone involved by having a member or two in each section dedicated to keep the crowd chanting. I keep hoping for something similar from the platoon, but they just don't have the crowd to work with. Kinda a catch 22. Need the crowd to have a good atmosphere, and need a good atmosphere to get the crowd.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah, I keep wondering how we are going to change that. Unfortunately, I think the efforts and promotions of the athletic department either come across as pathetic/desperate or cater to the wrong crowd.

If you've ever been to a DCU game (season opener today btw), the supporter sections do a great job of getting everyone involved by having a member or two in each section dedicated to keep the crowd chanting. I keep hoping for something similar from the platoon, but they just don't have the crowd to work with. Kinda a catch 22. Need the crowd to have a good atmosphere, and need a good atmosphere to get the crowd.

They also host some kickass tailgates before the game...

There isn't anything wrong with importing some soccer culture (or at least gaining inspiration from). For instance, Seattle Sounders fans stage a march to the stadium before every game. Why not have the platoon round up the students before the game and stage a March to EBA?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

For some reason, Mason has always seemed desperate to be accepted as part of the Fairfax community and thus bent over backwards to market itself as family-friendly entertainment.

Personally, I say Fairfax can go F itself. Mason has grown into a world-class research university; it's no longer some sad safety school that needs to apologize for inconveniencing people who live near campus.

If older folks or people with kids are offended by a more enthusiastic atmosphere at our games, they can stay home. They bring nothing to the game experience by sitting on their asses anyhow.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For some reason, Mason has always seemed desperate to be accepted as part of the Fairfax community and thus bent over backwards to market itself as family-friendly entertainment.

Personally, I say Fairfax can go F itself. Mason has grown into a world-class research university; it's no longer some sad safety school that needs to apologize for inconveniencing people who live near campus.

If older folks or people with kids are offended by a more enthusiastic atmosphere at our games, they can stay home. They bring nothing to the game experience by sitting on their asses anyhow.

Exactly! I also feel like they are afraid they might chase away some of the long time ticket holders that are probably decent donors if they don't cater to the family/older Fairfax crowd. There might be some of those, but, my own personal sampling says otherwise. I used to have seats next to some of the biggest donors and they were, for the most part, about as rowdy as I was, or even more so at times. In fact, I won't name any names to protect her identity, but I used to sit next to the owner of a car dealership that donates a lot of money to Mason, probably in the top 2 or 3 of donors to the patriot club in terms of dollars. She was more rowdy than me. I recall her receiving warnings from refs on several occasions.

For me, going to the games was about the atmosphere, excitement and being around fellow fans to share in that excitement. No need to go to a game to just sit there. I have more comfortable seats in my house.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Here's a question DJ. No trolling and seriously interested ....

Everyone talks about the geretic person and how to get them to come to games. So you've been to two games, that's fine, and you prefer the tv experience. What would Mason have to do to get you, a good fan, to come to more games? I.e. make the live game better for you than tv.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The 6:30 start time is due to TV. Fox Sports did the research and found out if their game starts 30 minutes before ESPN, NBCSN, CBSSN, MASN, etc start their games, Fox/FS1/FS2 draw better ratings. PLUS, and here is the straw the broke the camel's back for Fox, none of the coaches wanted a 9pm tip on nights when there is a Fox doubleheader.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason will never have an atmosphere remotely close to that, if we continue to stick with the same mundane "traditions" and pre-game routine. Don't see how it'll ever change without someone (should be the Platoon) take control and organize the student support efforts.

Yeah I was a huge 730 advocate. We have so many young alumni in Arlington/Alexandria...and gives you more time to eat din din.

But now constant TV that ship has sailed.

Masons heart is in the right place but I simply can't justify the bang for the buck anymore, especially when I can land a free ticket for all but (maybe) HC.

The tailgating could be huge, but Mason chose to harass over encourage decades ago. PC/sue everybody stage its only gotten worse.

patriotchild

Starter
Yeah I was a huge 730 advocate. We have so many young alumni in Arlington/Alexandria...and gives you more time to eat din din.

But now constant TV that ship has sailed.

Masons heart is in the right place but I simply can't justify the bang for the buck anymore, especially when I can land a free ticket for all but (maybe) HC.

The tailgating could be huge, but Mason chose to harass over encourage decades ago. PC/sue everybody stage its only gotten worse.

Given the point about traffic I would think there would be even more reason to place emphasis on getting students to games.

There are over 5K on campus now and they all sure as hell don't have class at 7 during the week. If you grab half of them we would have a pretty wild time at games during the week. Have them be seat fillers like at the oscars or something.

Traffic isn't going to change, it will only get worse and watching on TV will be even more enticing. Without focus on getting students to games I expect we'll see even more empty seats during weekdays.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
The culture of being a student at Mason states that for fun people hang out with friends, their frat/sorority, whatever club their in, etc. At schools like Duke, vcu, Kansas, and Dayton it is an expectation that students support the basketball team.