Regular Season Home Attendance

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I have had in-law relatives from Ohio tell me "Ohio is a place to be from, to a place to go to".

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Have you been to Dayton? Anyone who voluntarily goes to Dayton, the locals will come to the arena just to try and understand why.

My staffing business has a client who has a position near Dayton that pays $250k with a $50k sign on bonus and we’ve had no takers. I’m sure their are pockets of Dayton that are not miserable dead end depressing Soviet era type of city but not enough for me to wonder how they have such great attendance at Dayton mens basketball games.
Sign me up! Seriously, check your DMs.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
by contrast

Georgetown vs Syracuse on Saturday
with at least 40% of the attendees supporting Syracuse

Attendance for Saturday's game was 13,598: the smallest turnout since 1994 but the largest to date this season, and the fans were loud throughout the game.

I am a 10 year partial season ticket holder - since Ewing took over i have been getting seats closer and closer to center court and finally this year have seats in Section 101

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dayton Basketball is pretty much life in Dayton. Nothing much else to do there, and they have been consistently good the past 10 years so good product on the court puts butts in seats.

Was there for the Final Four run and its a pretty miserable city. Couldn't imagine living there. Still remember running in to GMUTom on the mean streets of Dayton after our upset as he was coming out of a certain establishment we were looking at going in to and he stated its the worst place he ever been... then we found another bar to go to there that was pretty bad as our group took over the entire warehouse bar/club. We negotiated bottle service..... $100 for 2 bottles of Grey Goose. We felt like Kings.

I have a colleague in the Tech space I currently work with and he lives in Dayton and a big fan. He states don't ever live in Dayton. Super nice guy and season ticket holder for Dayton for like 15 years. His hatred for vcu runs deep and majority of Dayton fans despise vcu as well. So we have that all in common.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dayton Basketball is pretty much life in Dayton. Nothing much else to do there, and they have been consistently good the past 10 years so good product on the court puts butts in seats.

Was there for the Final Four run and its a pretty miserable city. Couldn't imagine living there. Still remember running in to GMUTom on the mean streets of Dayton after our upset as he was coming out of a certain establishment we were looking at going in to and he stated its the worst place he ever been... then we found another bar to go to there that was pretty bad as our group took over the entire warehouse bar/club. We negotiated bottle service..... $100 for 2 bottles of Grey Goose. We felt like Kings.

I have a colleague in the Tech space I currently work with and he lives in Dayton and a big fan. He states don't ever live in Dayton. Super nice guy and season ticket holder for Dayton for like 15 years. His hatred for vcu runs deep and majority of Dayton fans despise vcu as well. So we have that all in common.

But they’ve got the Funk Hall of Fame in Dayton!!!

(PS I’ve only ever been to Columbus, Canton, and Sandusky in Ohio).

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Final 2021-22 regular season average home attendance per gomason.com: 3,558

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
i believe the digital game program listed about 160 season ticket holders - although not the number of seats each held

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That’s concerning.
Well one could argue both sides due to Covid where people were uncertain of what the season could look like and also being in the arena with Covid going on through the winter. I know of at least 10 season ticket holders who did not renew this year due to Covid and not wanting to bring their kids to games. These 10 season ticket holders usually had 2-5 tickets per "household".

I look at this as "I'll take anything year" where we should just be happy to see some basketball and be around fellow GMU fans and be excited for the future as we are trending in the right direction. Coach had a few months to throw this team together and re-invent the Mason Bball experience. I saw new energy, marketing, fan outreach, etc. from this coach than anyone we have had in a looooong time.

Sometimes we gotta stop and appreciate the season being played after a shitty past 2 years with Covid and that we have a brand new coach and team as we all had no idea what to expect this season.

It's the alumni and community that need to get to games. Students showed up this year as the student section was packed for majority of all our A-10 games... this is promising and something to build upon.

I think next season we should get back to averaging 4,000+ fans.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We can debate this until the death (and soon will have 6 months to).

Unfortunately the cards were stacked with a lot of challenges this year but I have to say, I’d much rather this be the first year than when/if the program starts winning.

Once again, a team that is still irrelevant come late in the season, not playing for a top seed or NCAA/NIT bid, is not going to draw much interest especially when the opponent is just as irrelevant. The number is disappointing but not surprising.

It all comes back to winning. We saw glimpses this year, but a big loss to vcu on homecoming certainly didn’t help. Hopefully as external factors improve and the program improves, we’ll see the numbers go back up. I also am a firm believer that Mason isn’t the only program suffering attendance at the moment.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It all comes back to winning. We saw glimpses this year, but a big loss to vcu on homecoming certainly didn’t help. Hopefully as external factors improve and the program improves, we’ll see the numbers go back up. I also am a firm believer that Mason isn’t the only program suffering attendance at the moment.
I am fully in support of moving Homecoming to November as many here have suggested. Draw a big crowd, play a cupcake, and kick some a$$. It might be enough to draw interest and keep some seats filled. Certainly couldn't hurt to try it once.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I am fully in support of moving Homecoming to November as many here have suggested. Draw a big crowd, play a cupcake, and kick some a$$. It might be enough to draw interest and keep some seats filled. Certainly couldn't hurt to try it once.
Who do we need to raise this idea to for it to get seriously talked about in the AD?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who do we need to raise this idea to for it to get seriously talked about in the AD?
Probably start with Greg/Lindsey and then go from there with maybe Zack or JaPrince (within alumni affairs). Its in coordination with the University so it might take a lot to change if some logistics are planned a year ahead although I suspect that Athletics has first say and maybe if not this year it can be done for the following years etc.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Probably start with Greg/Lindsey and then go from there with maybe Zack or JaPrince (within alumni affairs). Its in coordination with the University so it might take a lot to change if some logistics are planned a year ahead although I suspect that Athletics has first say and maybe if not this year it can be done for the following years etc.
Personally, I like HC in February with a big-name game during the thick of in-conference play. Do you really want to see a HC game against Howard, NJIT, or Maryland Eastern Shore? And during a moment in the season where there are fewer casual fans following the team? C'mon.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Personally, I like HC in February with a big-name game during the thick of in-conference play. Do you really want to see a HC game against Howard, NJIT, or Maryland Eastern Shore? And during a moment in the season where there are fewer casual fans following the team? C'mon.
Personally I don't really have a preference one way or another, and I have no idea if the University has a preference either. I'm just glad they have it around basketball and that's that. I don't care because I attend the games I can since I am out of town based on what my schedule is. I know that the first weekend of December is usually a Mason home game and that is usually always a good weekend for me personally to come down for a game.

However, many folks feel that November gives a better opportunity and chance for better weather for tailgating and outdoor activities. Plus the chance to beat up on a weak opponent doesn't matter to most, it matters more than its more likely to be a win. The casual fan wants to see a win at the 1 game a year they attend.