Q&A with Coach Hewitt?

Well, there you have it. Clearly we have the money to do it, as proven to be so on these boards.

I'll give anyone 25 to 1 odds it doesn't happen before this year, 50 dollars. Anyone want to take that bet?

50 dollars to win 1250!

wijg

Starter
Well, there you have it. Clearly we have the money to do it, as proven to be so on these boards.

I'll give anyone 25 to 1 odds it doesn't happen before this year, 50 dollars. Anyone want to take that bet?

50 dollars to win 1250!
Jollay, I think you are confusing what we are expressing as what we think is logical and possible and thus our desire, versus what we believe will happen. I would actually be very surprised (pleasantly) if it happened. I still think it is the right thing to do and hope it does happen (again if Edwards could get the coach he wants this year).

Given that, though, I gladly accept your bet.

Jollay, I think you are confusing what we are expressing as what we think is logical and possible and thus our desire, versus what we believe will happen. I would actually be very surprised (pleasantly) if it happened. I still think it is the right thing to do and hope it does happen (again if Edwards could get the coach he wants this year).

Given that, though, I gladly accept your bet.

Sweet. So that's a real bet? You can just give me the 50 at any home game next year.

No. You are confused if you think we have the money to pay another coach on top of the Hewitt buyout.

You would be going out with way less than even Matt Brady money to find a coach in July. That would be incredibly stupid, and there's other way to put it.
If you don't believe me, ask literally anyone associated with the program in an official capacity.

Barring some sort of misconduct, this might as well be a what are the chances Bryon Allen gets drafted thread.

If we are a program that axes its coach after going 56-43 the first three years of a five-year contract, which insinuates that we certainly in top third of all DI programs...

Wouldn't it make sense to wait to have a coaching search when we could afford to pay the selected candidate an average salary?

2. I'm still waiting for anyone to dispute GS's point about all the money Mason had to have budgeted in order to fulfill the incentives in Hewitt's contract. Bueller? Bueller?

Jim. Do you understand that if Hewitt hits a lot of those incentives, the program is in-taking more money from which it can pay Hewitt those bonuses.

The athletic department does not have the money lying around. A new coach would also be more expensive than just his salary, with a new staff, to do a good marketing campaign, etc.

Now hopefully Edwards can change some of that, but it's going to take some time. But in the meantime, a University that can't fund the baseball stadium improvements currently is not going to spend more money than that on paying a coach to sit at home for two years.

I'm sorry.

wijg

Starter
If we are a program that axes its coach after going 56-43 the first three years of a five-year contract, which insinuates that we certainly in top third of all DI programs...

Wouldn't it make sense to wait to have a coaching search when we could afford to pay the selected candidate an average salary?

Archie Miller of Dayton made $315k this past year. He got an extension this year for his good performance. Why can't we do the same? I am hoping Edwards can negotiate contracts a little better than TOC... If the new guy is successful like Miller, we will have tourney money to give him a raise.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Good point about the money, but I think record is the last thing the new AD should be looking at when evaluating Hewitt. Look at who GMU has beaten and how they beat them.

Hey, GMU started 4-0 last year, but that ugly American win wasn't an aberration, it was who they were. The UNI game gave me some hope, that was the aberration though. Very few quality wins in Hewitt's three years, not withstanding the vcu miracle a few years ago.

Hopefully Edwards focuses on the atrocious foul, assist and TO #'s and the fact that Hewitt hasn't had an NCAA or NIT berth, even with a "great" record of 24-9 his first year.

Archie Miller of Dayton made $315k this past year. He got an extension this year for his good performance. Why can't we do the same? I am hoping Edwards can negotiate contracts a little better than TOC... If the new guy is successful like Miller, we will have tourney money to give him a raise.

First, Miller made more than that with his bonuses, and his base was slightly more than that. Second, he just re-upped for 450K. Third, we can't really even afford 315K anyway without blowing a hole in the budget (the total cost would be more than that).

Finally, it's not a slam-dunk we identify and find the next Archie Miller.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If Brad has his man now, they can afford to do it. The TOC AD was operated like that scene in goodfellas when Henry Hill (ray liotta) gives his begging wife money for the week.....then she blows hims. Merten was our Henry Hill, except he didnt give his begging AD a penny more than what he needed. The money is there.

Good point about the money, but I think record is the last thing the new AD should be looking at when evaluating Hewitt. Look at who GMU has beaten and how they beat them.

Hey, GMU started 4-0 last year, but that ugly American win wasn't an aberration, it was who they were. The UNI game gave me some hope, that was the aberration though. Very few quality wins in Hewitt's three years, not withstanding the vcu miracle a few years ago.

Hopefully Edwards focuses on the atrocious foul, assist and TO #'s and the fact that Hewitt hasn't had an NCAA or NIT berth, even with a "great" record of 24-9 his first year.

There is a general impression around everyone that Hewitt has not cut the mustard so far. I'm sure record isn't going to fool him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jollay, do we make make money going to the NIT? Unless its ncaa tourney, his incentives cannot be paid by anything other than what is budgeted. 20 wins a season? Wheres that new revenue? Team gpa. :happy:;) Take the ncca tourney win incentive out, and i think you will a good chunk of money.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Finally, it's not a slam-dunk we identify and find the next Archie Miller.

So lets just keep riding the same guy and hoping mircaulously he becomes somebody he has never been? That seems like a good way to do things. Expecting a different result, from the same thing....really gets you far in sports.

That is how teams in all sports just sit in mediocraty forever....just hoping and wishing something that will never happen, will happen.

Jollay, do we make make money going to the NIT? Unless its ncaa tourney, his incentives cannot be paid by anything other than what is budgeted. 20 wins a season? Wheres that new revenue? Team gpa. :happy:;)

Some of the bonuses, yes. But also, if we're winning in theory the attendance is greater as well.

Regular season wins, "coach of the year" bonus (LOL), NCAA bid...all those things mean we're making more money.

Academic performance of team...no.

So lets just keep riding the same guy and hoping mircaulously he becomes somebody he has never been? That seems like a good way to do things....

That is how teams in all sports just sit in mediocraty forever....just hoping and wishing something that will never happen, will happen.

No. Wait 1-2 more years. Jesus H Christ.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Not surprising you spell mediocrity like you do either.

The Cleveland Browns change coaches a lot too, to get down on your absolutely brain-dead level of logic.

Thanks for spell checking a message board.

Its not about simply changing coaches. Its about getting the right one in as well, if you keep hiring trash....you will get trash. You hire the right one, and you take off. Look at what solid hires did to the entire NFC West.....