Q&A with Coach Hewitt?

masonjoe

Starter
I was just simply standing in a line that didnt move, and noticed the very odd way somebody was dressed next to said line and most people were wearing name tags (and your sn is what im assuming your name is).......Put it all together, and its not that shocking

did he have the pokemon backpack on?

G M U

Starter
"And then literally some guy kept threatening to rape him. I mean, physically rape him."

"I hope you get AIDS sucking on Colin Kaepernick's presumably heavily tattooed dick. "

"So your NFL analogies are completely stupid. Kill yourself."

"you are still probably a late 30s, 40 year old man that dresses like Indiana Jones."

Can we focus on Hewitt?

masonjoe

Starter
This is why these boards continue to go downhill. People are psychotic and it's driving people away.

Why, we used to have a friendly little guy named ACW who knew a lot about Mason and the local bus schedules. Everybody liked him.

And then literally some guy kept threatening to rape him. I mean, physically rape him.

Not sure if he ever did or not, but you can see how that might traumatize the poor little fellow.

haha I remember that guy from the boards on the Zone, poor bastard

wijg

Starter
Enough of this non basketball talk. If I wanted stuff like this would watch a TV show with "housewives" in the title. I understand that Hewitt talk can get annoying (it annoys me too, but for a different reason those of you complaining above...), but what else is there to talk about on here now? What do you expect to see coming here in the off season after one the worst years we have had in two decades, before a some of the fans on here were born?

It is purely to have a reason to discuss the one thing that unites us all, Mason Men's Basketball. Why do you think I took that bet with Jollay? Even though I will likely lose, it will provide a little excitement in the off season. Something to talk about.

I think those of us who want him replaced on July 1, if not sooner, all realize the odds are very low, possibly zero, that it actually happens. Doesn't mean we can't discuss whether it is possible or warranted.

I would be very surprised if Edwards did it this off season. I would guess he has zero pressure to make something happen with the Men's team this year. Another horrible year gives him the ammunition he needs to do it no questions asked. He does not have to massage the budgets to make it happen. It is the easy thing to do to just wait.

Now, I would be impressed if he did do it. It would tell me he is not a play it safe, just covering his arse kind of guy. I won't hold it against him, either, if he does not do it this off season since the timing he has been left with makes it an awkward decision to make immediately.

Enough of this non basketball talk.

Right. Let's get to the REAL reason for 95% of the unwarranted criticism about Paul Hewitt. For once, let's talk about the elephant in the room, and what drove good people like Mrs. Holloway off these forums.

Pure unadulterated racism. Racist commentary made by mostly racists.

How else to explain people calling for Hewitt's head after year 1, year 2, year 3, and even before he was hired?

I'm just glad Brad Edwards, who I emailed this morning and referenced and linked this thread, is no racist. To fire Hewitt immediately would suggest the exact opposite, however, I think we can all agree.

This is the winningest African-American coach in George Mason mens basketball history. He should not have to endure this sort of criticism.

mason89

Starter
We've got until until early October to talk basketball. These non-basketball interludes are what makes these boards great during the off-season! It also keeps people distracted enough to not say something negative about a recruit, thus potentially chasing them away.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
This is an important hire for Edwards, he's not just picking a young guy who overachieved at middle of nowhere university and hoping he sticks to win some games at JU. I would think he would need a few months to find the right guy to consistently contend in the A10

Just speculating here, but I'm guessing that Tony Jasick (http://www.judolphins.com/mbasketball/coaches/), the guy Edwards just hired at JU, would be on Edwards' short list as a possible hire at some point. Mid-Major coach of the year, he seems to be an up-and coming guy.

Given that he just has been hired at JU, he wuldn't be available for another year or two, but if he does well there, moving up to the A10 might be attractive to him.

wijg

Starter
Jollay, where can I find you at a home game to pay you the 50 bucks when the time comes. I am not a high roller like you, so I can't get into the club room downstairs.

Should I look for the guy that looks like Indiana Jones, is fighting with one of the players moms, yelling racist obscenities and making fun of people with mental deficiencies? ;)

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
There's a big talent gap between recruiting ASUN kids and A10 kids...
Just speculating here, but I'm guessing that Tony Jasick (http://www.judolphins.com/mbasketball/coaches/), the guy Edwards just hired at JU, would be on Edwards' short list as a possible hire at some point. Mid-Major coach of the year, he seems to be an up-and coming guy.

Given that he just has been hired at JU, he wuldn't be available for another year or two, but if he does well there, moving up to the A10 might be attractive to him.

KAOriginal

All-American
I would think trying to find a coach right now would be a pretty tough road.

Instead of the plumb set up Hewitt walked into....its still going to be a clean up job. Which makes a solid coach entrenched somewhere a little bit wary to leave now without $ being ample.

Which leaves us with the assistant route. Arguments have been thrown out out how it can financially make sense. But still the "hot assistant" is always a gamble.

We've got another year. Let's not make rash decisions, have greater chance of holding this years recruits and then move on....

wijg

Starter
... have greater chance of holding this years recruits and then move on....
I don't know the recruiting periods and all the rules on transfers, but...

Several people are making this claim, but I am having a hard time seeing the logic. The guys he has convinced to come in this coming year obviously felt a connection with him, otherwise why would you go to a team that performed as poorly as we did last year. So they play for him for another year and they have really gotten to like him after spending a year with him and then he gets fired. Don't you think they might be more concerned at that point?

Instead, if you replace the coach in the off season, when all of the roster spots are spoken for on other teams, it gives the new coach time to talk them into staying for the first year, that they would likely sit out anyway, and if he is a good coach, they want to stay.

The other reason I can think of why they have chosen Mason is playing time, and that aspect does not change with a new coach.

What am I missing? Why do you think guys are more likely to stay if he stays another year? Additionally, wouldn't we then just lose the next batch of recruits as well?

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know the recruiting periods and all the rules on transfers, but...

Several people are making this claim, but I am having a hard time seeing the logic. The guys he has convinced to come in this coming year obviously felt a connection with him, otherwise why would you go to a team that performed as poorly as we did last year. So they play for him for another year and they have really gotten to like him after spending a year with him and then he gets fired. Don't you think they might be more concerned at that point?

Instead, if you replace the coach in the off season, when all of the roster spots are spoken for on other teams, it gives the new coach time to talk them into staying for the first year, that they would likely sit out anyway, and if he is a good coach, they want to stay.

The other reason I can think of why they have chosen Mason is playing time, and that aspect does not change with a new coach.

What am I missing? Why do you think guys are more likely to stay if he stays another year? Additionally, wouldn't we then just lose the next batch of recruits as well?

Some of those guys won't want to sit out a year to transfer.

Others may just fall in love with Mason, might find a girlfriend, knock someone up or grow to feel like this is their home.

If a month before they are about to start a new life on campus you take away the one thing they are comfortable with, yes there is a good chance they will want to reconsider.

wijg

Starter
Some of those guys won't want to sit out a year to transfer.

Others may just fall in love with Mason, might find a girlfriend, knock someone up or grow to feel like this is their home.

If a month before they are about to start a new life on campus you take away the one thing they are comfortable with, yes there is a good chance they will want to reconsider.
I understand that point, but where are they going to consider going to at this time?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I understand that point, but where are they going to consider going to at this time?

I might remind you that Louisville had no scholarships when Hancock transferred there. If a coach wants a player, he will make room.