Q&A with Coach Hewitt?

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Would we like to have a question "from the masonhoops.com message board"? If so, do we have an eloquent speaker who would be willing to ask the question (assuming they could attend)?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I doubt this happens. If he reads these boards, he should be deathly afraid of confronting some the angriest college ball fans in the country. If he does, I'll give him props b/c it will show at least he's trying.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Two of my questions would be why do tie your ties like that. And will you ever wear the suit from the LaSalle away game in Fairfaix?

KAOriginal

All-American
What would you ask if it was not screened?

Since your national championship game in 2004, your programs have generally been under performing. Here at Mason specifically, your teams have played worse year over year. Why should we, or any other program, have any confidence in your leadership ability at this point?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ryan said that it may not happen on the 15th but that another date is being worked on.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
An issue I believe should be discussed at the Q&A which I find most troubling about the Hewitt era is that I can't sense any urgency in resolving significant recurring deficiencies (e.g., critical late-game situations).

With Larranaga, you knew that poor play would be addressed and resolved promptly, even if it meant locking the players in a room all night watching game tape. What is Hewitt's approach in addressing these recurring problems?

Patriotfan49

Starter
What would you ask if it was not screened?

Your teams have consistenetly been dissapointing if not total underachieving nightmares. Why do you think this is?

Besides financially, why do you continue to coach when it is clearly not your strength?

Where do you think your own shortcomings fall in line with the performance of your teams?

After seeing the same issues, and repeating problems year after year.....do you not see them and attempt to fix them, or do you just ignore them?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know one of the questions I specifically have is what Coach Hewitt's philosophies are behind teamwork and cohesion as a unit. One of the things we saw in Larranaga's best teams was the fact they were very close on and off the court and worked as one. He used a lot of theories which the assistant coaches also preached constantly. I don't remember specifics but I'd like to see and hear what he tries to implement in these areas. With so many new faces this year, I think its imperative that the team bonds closely to help build towards success.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I would ask, "What does the team have to do next year for you to consider it a success? And getting a big paycheck and buyout does not count."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Your peers, Phil Martelli specifically, said you are a deep thinker. Having said that, what have you been thinking running a system that needs a solid PG which you don't have? The last one you had, Andre, you let run the point late vs vcu in the caa tourney game which was the 32-4 a** whipping in March. What did treating him and other players like that improve? Ie VG.

A lot of our players have looked lost, have mental lapses, which has made for ugly bball. Does your approach or system implementation have a tedious micro managed detail oriented nba type feel? And is running your system more important than coaching for victory?

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
http://gmuhoops.co/2014/05/15/q-a-with-paul-hewitt/ - I'm sure you guys will ask strong questions.
Your peers, Phil Martelli specifically, said you are a deep thinker. Having said that, what have you been thinking running a system that needs a solid PG which you don't have? The last one you had, Andre, you let run the point late vs vcu in the caa tourney game which was the 32-4 a** whipping in March. What did treating him and other players like that improve? Ie VG.

A lot of our players have looked lost, have mental lapses, which has made for ugly bball. Does your approach or system implementation have a tedious micro managed detail oriented nba type feel? And is running your system more important than coaching for victory?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't wait. Who all is going tomorrow?

I'll be there. My understanding is that Hewitt is good at deflecting questions so I suggest that anyone who is asking questions ask them directly with no cop out.

I also heard that Hewitt is buying appetizers which is a nice touch.