Q&A with Coach Hewitt?

KAOriginal

All-American
Do you feel any guilt at all for charging public universities an exorbitant sum of money to be average at best 90% of the time?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do you feel any guilt at all for charging public universities an exorbitant sum of money to be average at best 90% of the time?

Charge? I wasn't even going to coach, but this university threw a bunch of money at me and wouldn't leave me alone until I said yes.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
"After losing at St. Bonaventure to go 9-16 (2-9) and officially eliminating any chance of avoiding Mason's first losing season in 17 years, did you feel any responsibility to resign?"

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Charge? I wasn't even going to coach, but this university threw a bunch of money at me and wouldn't leave me alone until I said yes.

Winner, winner chicken dinner (or chicken wings as the case may be). I completely get the frustration over Hewitt being hired and even retained, but it's laughable when people blame Hewitt for accepting or even keeping the job. It's not his fault somebody wanted to employ him.

TOC was the one who brought him on board, and he was the one who threw a lot of money at him. Some people here act like Hewitt is supposed to say, "Well, I appreciate all that money, but I'm not worthy of your generosity."

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
This might go about about as well for Hewitt as the Red Wedding did for the Starks in Game Of Thrones...
Winner, winner chicken dinner (or chicken wings as the case may be). I completely get the frustration over Hewitt being hired and even retained, but it's laughable when people blame Hewitt for accepting or even keeping the job. It's not his fault somebody wanted to employ him.

TOC was the one who brought him on board, and he was the one who threw a lot of money at him. Some people here act like Hewitt is supposed to say, "Well, I appreciate all that money, but I'm not worthy of your generosity."

KAOriginal

All-American

I will stand corrected!

The reality is Hewitt has been able to get schools to throw sweetheart deals to him.

At least when GT gave him the deal of the century he had earned the offer....

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Raider - You're the only guy still on the Hewitt bandwagon and you didn't show?

Maybe nobody went. Most probably thought about going, but quickly realized that just about all possible questions have been answered by the play on the court over the last 99 games.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I assume that on paper the event looked as if it would be actually a decent time, but once it kicked off it was drastically underwhelming and very confusing.

The servers were bringing out the orders to the wrong places and had to be yelled at to get to the right table, there was alot of apple turnovers, and a handful of servers missed refilling drinks with the pitcher from point blank range. But, at least Hewitt brought lollipops for everybody who came.

mason2k1

Starter
I assume that on paper the event looked as if it would be actually a decent time, but once it kicked off it was drastically underwhelming and very confusing.

The servers were bringing out the orders to the wrong places and had to be yelled at to get to the right table, there was alot of apple turnovers, and a handful of servers missed refilling drinks with the pitcher from point blank range. But, at least Hewitt brought lollipops for everybody who came.
did he choke in the last 5 min?

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I thought all in all it was good. The general theme was that people writing critical things on message boards hurts recruiting and we should think twice. People also asked questions and were very respectful and non-confrontational in asking them. Also, PH said he hadn't read the boards (I think he was referring to GMUhoops.com) until recently.

He probably said other things, but I couldn't hear him. Can somebody please get him a microphone!?! If Brion's can't provide one, then let's go somewhere else. Shoot, have it in a room at the Patriot Center for all I care!

It was great PR. It should be done again.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The general theme was that people writing critical things on message boards hurts recruiting and we should think twice.

I am truly not trying to go off on another rant, but our program's crap-tacular on-court performance has done far more to hurt recruiting than any critical comments anyone has posted.

I'm not surprised that Hewitt made a subtle attempt to shift the blame to the "unsupportive" fans, though.

He pulled the same crap at GT right before he got pink-slipped.

NOTE TO COACH HEWITT, IN CASE YOU'RE READING THE BOARDS: Do your job, win more damn basketball games, and nobody will post anything negative.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
So, it was a Q&A and there weren't any answers? I desperately wanted to go but had a conflict, can anyone elaborate on anything substantive that was said. I was given the impression before hand that it was going to be finger pointing by Hewitt at the fans, but I want to know what explanations were given.

G M U

Starter
Some little bits from last night:

-The theme of the night was watch what you say online in regards to the school and/or players. He mentioned specifically how one online post lost us a potential recruit.

- Holloway is currently at an elite camp with some of the best players in the country working on his game.

- Isaiah Jackson will not play at the 2. Hewitt said he'll be a 1 or 3 when on the court.

-Hewitt mentioned Edwards and Marko as next years leaders.

-VG admitted to Hewitt that he hasn't given his all. Apparently he's had his best Spring workout to date.

-Hewitt seems optimistic about the program, stating that given a full year of recruiting as an A10 team, that GMU has the 2nd or 3rd best recruiting class in the conference (per a recruiting website).

-nice event, nice guy

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
I am currently out of the area but will be moving to NOVA in July. Am I his lone defender? I suppose. We have had issues these past 3 years be it turn overs, lack of a strong PG, off the court issues, and occasionally underachieving. I expect nothing less than an NIT bid. I can't in good faith say bring the guy back for year 5 if we don't have something to look at as some progress.
Raider - You're the only guy still on the Hewitt bandwagon and you didn't show?

Maybe nobody went. Most probably thought about going, but quickly realized that just about all possible questions have been answered by the play on the court over the last 99 games.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Rather than focus on his comment about the impact of criticism on message boards on recruiting (which may or may not be true), how about the plans for a team trip to Spain - see http://gmuhoops.com/.