Q&A with Coach Hewitt?

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
It's better than nothing, but let's call it what it is: it's a $6 appetizer from Brion's Grille. Whooptie-do.

It's not like we're being bought a steak from Ruth's Chris.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope so too, but there is also a way to do it in a non-confrontational manner. He will most likely be a lot more open and honest if questions are posed directly but respectfully.

I'm asking this honestly because after 22 years as a reporter, I still haven't figured it out.

How do you respectfully ask someone why they suck so badly at their job?

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
What do you consider a realistic goal for the 2014-2015 Patriots? What would you say is needed for George Mason to get to the level Gonzaga, Memphis and vcu are at? What are some of the things that you will emphasize to the guys this year? Better ball security?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm asking this honestly because after 22 years as a reporter, I still haven't figured it out.

How do you respectfully ask someone why they suck so badly at their job?

Come on, Jim, this isn't the first time you've been around an underperforming coach. Here's just a few off the top of my head:
  • You haven't reached the NCAA or NIT tournaments in your first three years at Mason? Do you find that acceptable, and to what do you attribute the lack of success?
  • With your top two scorers graduating, what reason do fans have to feel optimistic that next season will be any better than last year's?
  • Our offensive oftentimes seems disorganized, like the players aren't sure where to be. Is it just a matter of them learning it, or do you think maybe it's just not a good fit for the players you have?
  • Do you want to buy a tie from Patriot99 that Coach L wore? Maybe it will help you get back to the NCAA Tournament.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, Jim, this isn't the first time you've been around an underperforming coach. Here's just a few off the top of my head:
  • You haven't reached the NCAA or NIT tournaments in your first three years at Mason? Do you find that acceptable, and to what do you attribute the lack of success?
  • With your top two scorers graduating, what reason do fans have to feel optimistic that next season will be any better than last year's?
  • Our offensive oftentimes seems disorganized, like the players aren't sure where to be. Is it just a matter of them learning it, or do you think maybe it's just not a good fit for the players you have?
  • Do you want to buy a tie from Patriot99 that Coach L wore? Maybe it will help you get back to the NCAA Tournament.

Those are excellent questions, Tom.

But I still want to know why Hewitt sucks so badly at his job.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...witt-ratchets-up-expectations-at-george-mason

1. Did you set the bar too high when you first came here? Is it more realistic to expect a first round win every few years and try to aim for consistently being in the tournament?
2. Where do you see this program five years from now?
3. I realize that you like the RAC. However, if a recruit has a choice between vcu and George Mason what do you feel would persuade this recruit not to sign with vcu given their big practice facility and recent NCAA tournament success?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Have you made any changes to your coaching approach? If so, what have changed and why?

In your 3 years here, you attempt to keep the team together as is evident in many games we fought back in, so they respond to that....why arent they responding to your scheme on defense?

Lastly, does it hurt to have yet another fanbase hate you? And how will you change that besides this q & a.?

Afton Mtn Patriot

Preferred Walk-On
If someone here gets an opportunity...ask him if there are any plans of playing another game at the RAC. I'd love to see them do this again and possibly make it an annual tradition.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Those are excellent questions, Tom.

But I still want to know why Hewitt sucks so badly at his job.

I'm currently out-of-town and won't be able to attend. Perhaps, you could ask him to assess why he had so much success early in his career at Siena and GT (including making the NCAA championship game), but not so much success lately?

sigmanorm

Starter
There are all kinds of rumors going around as to what the chronology was which led Jon Arledge to leave the program. Can you better explain what happened with him? Do you think his skill set would have been a benefit to the Mason program including his size and ability to shoot the mid range jumper?

What is the main reason Vaughn Gray does not get significant game minutes? Is his game not what it needs to be at the A10 level?

In 2006 this program was on the rise and seems that it may not have capitalized on that success as well as a program like vcu did with their Final Four run. What steps are being taken to get the program back to the NCAA tournament?

Understanding that Athletics is a big part of why student choose what university they attend, how has the support from the administration been here at Mason in comparison to Georgia Tech or other schools you have worked with?

With men's basketball is Mason's main focus athletic program, what are your thoughts to bringing football to Mason as a way to bring more interest to athletics in general?

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There are all kinds of rumors going around as to what the chronology was which led Jon Arledge to leave the program. Can you better explain what happened with him? Do you think his skill set would have been a benefit to the Mason program including his size and ability to shoot the mid range jumper?

What is the main reason Vaughn Gray does not get significant game minutes? Is his game not what it needs to be at the A10 level?

In 2006 this program was on the rise and seems that it may not have capitalized on that success as well as a program like vcu did with their Final Four run. What steps are being taken to get the program back to the NCAA tournament?

Understanding that Athletics is a big part of why student choose what university they attend, how has the support from the administration been here at Mason in comparison to Georgia Tech or other schools you have worked with?

With men's basketball is Mason's main focus athletic program, what are your thoughts to bringing football to Mason as a way to bring more interest to athletics in general?

Let me address your first question with this response, "No comment."
Your second question, "No comment." Not gonna comment on question 3. Question 4, "I don't want to focus on the past." Question 5, "I think that's a question for the new AD."....OK, who wants to talk about Tanaka's great performance so far for the Yanks?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Prior to last year - in interviews with yourself and the team, fans/followers of the program noted that you and the players often talked about the fact that the A-10 was a tough league. Though true, it was the feeling of some fans that they would have liked to hear more of the attitude that "while the A-10 is good, we're a veteran team that's out to and prove we're good too." This led to a perception among some that the team went into the season with a bit of a defeatist attitude and not a great deal of confidence. Do you think you need to do a better job of instilling a confident and winning attitude in your players?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Will you resign at end of season, please?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Will you resign at end of season, please?

As his most outspoken critic, you should hop in the car and head to Brion's Grille tonight. It's a great opportunity to finally address your concerns face to face instead of online. Give him hell, GS!