PROVIDENCE UPDATE

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He’s definitely gonna get recruited over at Providence. It’s something kids too often don’t take into account when hitching their wagons to charismatic coaches like Kim: The same qualities that made you want to play for a particular coach make it possible for him to sign higher-rated prospects.

Knee injury or not, I did not expect Providence to be Justyn’s last school. He would’ve been better off staying at Mason and developing into an all-conference player in the A-10.
Only time will tell. IMO JF is the real deal. Once he realizes he needed to play defense, he started to shine on the court.

It’s also worth noting that, some of us said Hancock would never get playing time at Louisville.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Kind of glad the article is behind a pay wall so I don't have to hear the BS.
Now that The Athletic has taken over the NY Times Sports section, if you have a NY Times subscription, it may be available through the Times. Not quite sure if ALL Athletic pieces are included or just the ones that appear on the Times' Sports section.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Kind of glad the article is behind a pay wall so I don't have to hear the BS.

1689104968993.jpeg

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Reddit thread on Providence/Kim English:

Reddit thread on Providence/Kim English
Its the same sort of feelings that many of us have about Kim. That we think hes going to be great, the Big East is not the A10, and there's some concern about bringing guys from a 5th place team in the A10 to the Big East.

Like many of us, I think hes going to be good, but he will need at least a year to transition. I suspect the corner will turn in year 2 for him.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its the same sort of feelings that many of us have about Kim. That we think hes going to be great, the Big East is not the A10, and there's some concern about bringing guys from a 5th place team in the A10 to the Big East.

Like many of us, I think hes going to be good, but he will need at least a year to transition. I suspect the corner will turn in year 2 for him.
Unless he’s named HC of an ACC school, then we’ll have to wait another 2 years or so…

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just playing devils advocate. It might be his last stop as a HC because it’s hard to follow a legend. Kim will never live up Providence’s expectations.
Even if he doesn’t win at Providence, he will get another HC job somewhere. He’d have to drop back out of the P6 and start again but somebody would give him a chance.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In
Like many of us, I think hes going to be good, .
You and a lot of people are saying this. May I ask what body of evidence leads you to this conclusion?

His magnificent turnaround of Mason’s program?
Oh oh! I know what it is! The 30 point blowout in a god damn conference tourney? Where he had no game plan and his team looked lost and unmotivated from the opening tip?

I swear it’s like the emperor’s new clothes with FKE. Despite all the evidence everyone swears he has invisible clothes on.

Last edited:
In
You and a lot of people are saying this. May I ask what body of evidence leads you to this conclusion?

His magnificent turnaround of Mason’s program?
Oh oh! I know what it is! The 30 point blowout in a god damn conference tourney? Where he had no game no game plan and his team looked lost and unmotivated from the opening tip?

I swear it’s like the emperor’s new clothes with FKE. Despite all the evidence everyone swears he has invisible clothes on.

I was very proud how George Mason and President Washington handled that situation. They couldn't have handled that situation any better.

Lil Kimmy was "planning" on entering year 3 with a lackluster incoming recruiting class other than Austin Ball whom we managed to keep. He was staring at another non-bid year. If you all paid close attention, Oduro and Gaines had regressed last year compared to the year prior.

Kimmy asked for a contract extension for what? He didn't even deserve an extension or a raise. President Washington handled it with class, thanked him and welcomed home a better person and coach who bleeds green and gold.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So my overriding thought is one that I believe Petey first mentioned. KE was having problems recruiting at our level because he had never done it before. He had always been at places where he was able to recruit 4 and 5 star guys. He'll be more in his comfort zone at PC. Now, does that mean he'll win games? Not necessarily, but I think his background and mentality will fit better at a P6 school.