PROVIDENCE UPDATE

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
My conspiracy theory is the reason why Kim came to Mason was to build relationships with high school players/coaches in the DMV. He knew he would bolt after a few years and he would use those relationships for his next stop. I always scratched my head a bit when we needed to be finding 2023 guys, and he’s out offering these 4 and 5 star guys in the ‘24 and ‘25 classes that we had little shot with. Now, all those same kids all have Providence on their short list. It was genius really… well done.

My conspiracy theory is the reason why Kim came to Mason was to build relationships with high school players/coaches in the DMV. He knew he would bolt after a few years and he would use those relationships for his next stop. I always scratched my head a bit when we needed to be finding 2023 guys, and he’s out offering these 4 and 5 star guys in the ‘24 and ‘25 classes that we had little shot with. Now, all those same kids all have Providence on their short list. It was genius really… well done.
These are the type of conspiracy theories I live for, this is good stuff.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
In hindsight, I wish DP had been giving another year. If he had managed to keep Kolek and Miller, we likely would have been in the NCAA tournament at least this year, maybe last year.
Come on man. Don't do this to us LOL.
This is the type of stuff I also come on here for. Haha.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Kimmy asked for a contract extension for what? He didn't even deserve an extension or a raise. President Washington handled it with class, thanked him and welcomed home a better person and coach who bleeds green and gold.
That isn't how it went down, but, keep telling yourself that. President Washington completely blew the situation with CKE. He wanted him to stay but totally dropped the ball. The only thing that saved his arse is that Tony was available (and I should add that he almost blew that hire as well).

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
In
You and a lot of people are saying this. May I ask what body of evidence leads you to this conclusion?

His magnificent turnaround of Mason’s program?
Oh oh! I know what it is! The 30 point blowout in a god damn conference tourney? Where he had no game plan and his team looked lost and unmotivated from the opening tip?

I swear it’s like the emperor’s new clothes with FKE. Despite all the evidence everyone swears he has invisible clothes on.
I don't have time to do a deep dive on this topic but I'm sure there are pieces of statistical evidence that point to the improvement of Mason in year 2. If not, I'll stand corrected.

In addition, the overall play on both sides of the ball from January to March improved which was also in partnership with a 7 game winning streak and 20 win season. Its been a while since either of those have occurred and it felt "right".

Sure you can point to the 30 point blowout against SLU, or the blowout against Duquense or Auburn. Or the early season when things were ugly. But in general, I felt that the corner was turning for him as a coach (and program) in the second half of the year.

Obviously now he steps up in weight class to the Big East. There is still a lot of "potential" and "hype" compared to his actual abilities, but I do think he will be fine.

PDGL Hoops

Starter
Meanwhile poor Justin is out for the year and about to be recruited over. Not everyone will win from this and I am not sure CKE cares about the collateral damage.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That isn't how it went down, but, keep telling yourself that. President Washington completely blew the situation with CKE. He wanted him to stay but totally dropped the ball. The only thing that saved his arse is that Tony was available (and I should add that he almost blew that hire as well).
Despite how poorly the situation was handled due to institutional incompetence, I am of the belief that KE is gone either way. He can say "I never wanted to leave" all he wants to whomever he wants, and blame some of his various (legitimate) complaints as the reason he didn't have a choice, but he wasn't turning down a Big East job or that money. He was not a fit here, and at the moment I have every reason to think we are better off in nearly every aspect. Hopefully Washington learned from the embarrassment.

Despite how poorly the situation was handled due to institutional incompetence, I am of the belief that KE is gone either way. He can say "I never wanted to leave" all he wants to whomever he wants, and blame some of his various (legitimate) complaints as the reason he didn't have a choice, but he wasn't turning down a Big East job or that money. He was not a fit here, and at the moment I have every reason to think we are better off in nearly every aspect. Hopefully Washington learned from the embarrassment.
He did almost immediately since he personally negotiated an extension for VBL as rumors connected her with the WVU job

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He did almost immediately since he personally negotiated an extension for VBL as rumors connected her with the WVU job
Agreed, and that is why I was optimistic during that timeframe, but then he went into typical academic process for process sake mode and dragged out the new coach hire so long that it almost fell apart when the choice was obvious from the start.

I don't have time to do a deep dive on this topic but I'm sure there are pieces of statistical evidence that point to the improvement of Mason in year 2. If not, I'll stand corrected.

In addition, the overall play on both sides of the ball from January to March improved which was also in partnership with a 7 game winning streak and 20 win season. Its been a while since either of those have occurred and it felt "right".

Sure you can point to the 30 point blowout against SLU, or the blowout against Duquense or Auburn. Or the early season when things were ugly. But in general, I felt that the corner was turning for him as a coach (and program) in the second half of the year.

Obviously now he steps up in weight class to the Big East. There is still a lot of "potential" and "hype" compared to his actual abilities, but I do think he will be fine.
Analytically, the team was decently improved on defense, but took a step back offensively (Ticket never really got his early 21-22 season offense back and VBJ didn't put up Schwartz numbers even when healthy)

The end of season was definitely fun, but was driven by Ticket adding to an already strong defense and Ronnie both staying healthy/finally figuring his shit out.

So yes, technical improvement at end of year. However, in general from Y1 to Y2, not so much (KenPom rating also decreased from Y1 to Y2)

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In hindsight, I wish DP had been giving another year. If he had managed to keep Kolek and Miller, we likely would have been in the NCAA tournament at least this year, maybe last year.
Who knows? I think it's entirely valid to wonder about the "what ifs?" though.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So yes, technical improvement at end of year. However, in general from Y1 to Y2, not so much (KenPom rating also decreased from Y1 to Y2)
Agreed. Every mid-major conference is going to have its ups and downs over the years, but let's not lose sight of the fact that we jumped up in the standings last year when the A10 was not only a one-bid league but also one-and-done in the NCAAT.

Nobody can deny we played great ball during that 7-game winning streak, but they also can discount that an above average team does not lose to a conference opponent that is not even at-large worthy by 30 points.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I agree with gmutom, but I think his last sentence needs a slight fix:

Nobody can deny we played great ball during that 7-game winning streak, but a well-coached team does not lose to a conference opponent that is not even at-large worthy by 30 points.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I sat behind the bench for that 30 point loss as did @EXpatriot13 and @gmubrian

While obviously we got our teeth kicked in, balls kicked, whatever. I don’t remember anything specifically that made me think “wow we aren’t being well coached”.

I’ll have to think a little more and edit this post if something comes to mind. If I recall, it just seemed like our guys didn’t execute any of our philosophies they were being instructed to do, and St Louis exploited it whole heartedly. One example is how our guys couldn’t keep up with the Ball movement and didn’t go fast enough through screens. Someone else can help me out.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I sat behind the bench for that 30 point loss as did @EXpatriot13 and @gmubrian

While obviously we got our teeth kicked in, balls kicked, whatever. I don’t remember anything specifically that made me think “wow we aren’t being well coached”.

I’ll have to think a little more and edit this post if something comes to mind. If I recall, it just seemed like our guys didn’t execute any of our philosophies they were being instructed to do, and St Louis exploited it whole heartedly. One example is how our guys couldn’t keep up with the Ball movement and didn’t go fast enough through screens. Someone else can help me out.
Personally, I think a 30 point loss in a win or go home tournament game falls on everyone.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Personally, I think a 30 point loss in a win or go home tournament game falls on everyone.
Yeah granted. When I think coaching I think scheme specifically, even though there’s more than that. It was execution which one could then point back to coaching and a never endless loop of thoughts.

Off-season is so boring.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Very possible KE and staff suck at games where they have less than 24 hours of preperation and have to rely more on in-game coaching. On top of the STL game, we also lost every game in both pre-season tournaments.
Hard to explain, but I remember sitting there, and watching our guys being slow when going through screens, and the ball moving faster than our guys. That was at least defensively.

Why they were slow? Was it coaching? Was it tiredness? No idea. But I know I lost my mind along with everyone else watching it.