Predictions - Lindy's College Basketball Magazine

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A10Talk has us going 13-5 in conference.

George Mason​

Key player: Josh Oduro was the big fish that Kim English wanted to secure on day one in Fairfax, and he was successful in getting Josh to stay. Oduro’s development over the summer cannot be understated, and he has the tools to make a run at winning Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Josh also finally has a strong supporting cast around him, with a host of transfers that include DeVon Cooper, Davonte Gaines and D’Shawn Schwartz. Jamal Hartwell II is another returner to keep an eye on, as Kim English has repeatedly stated that Hartwell has the green light to shoot from downtown 24/7. Team Expectation: This team isn’t in rebuilding mode: they’re in win NOW mode, that much is abundantly clear from watching summer practices in Fairfax. There is a level of expectation surrounding this program that I have not witnessed in quite some time. New coaches? The vast majority of the coaching staff is brand new to Mason. It all starts with Head Coach Kim English, who is attempting to lead an unprecedented turnaround in Fairfax.

Coach English brings in a strong supporting cast of coaches, including Dennis Felton who most recently served as assistant coach at Fordham. Nate Tomlinson comes to Mason from Colorado, where he served as a fellow assistant alongside Kim English two seasons ago in Boulder. Duane Simpkins is the lone returner to the coaching staff from the Dave Paulsen era at Mason. Overall outlook on the team, maybe a record prediction overall and conference? This roster is stacked with dudes which one has not been able to say of the Patriots in recent memory. We’re going to find out a lot about this team very early on, as Mason has non-conference games against Maryland, Washington, Nevada, South Dakota State, and Georgia.

Furthermore, George Mason will jump right into conference play with their opening game on the road at vcu. A key early stretch of games in January includes Richmond, Dayton, St. Bonaventure and Saint Louis, with the three latter contests being at home. If George Mason is going to be a legitimate contender in the Atlantic 10 this season, we’re going to find out very early on.

Conference Record Prediction: 13-5

-Daniel Frank, A10 Talk George Mason Contributor
"Stacked with dudes." I haven't been this pumped for a season since we beat Villanova in the tourney. But this is looking like the real deal!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"Stacked with dudes." I haven't been this pumped for a season since we beat Villanova in the tourney. But this is looking like the real deal!
"Stacked with Dudes"

1634142012210.png

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A10Talk has us going 13-5 in conference.

George Mason​

Key player: Josh Oduro was the big fish that Kim English wanted to secure on day one in Fairfax, and he was successful in getting Josh to stay. Oduro’s development over the summer cannot be understated, and he has the tools to make a run at winning Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Josh also finally has a strong supporting cast around him, with a host of transfers that include DeVon Cooper, Davonte Gaines and D’Shawn Schwartz. Jamal Hartwell II is another returner to keep an eye on, as Kim English has repeatedly stated that Hartwell has the green light to shoot from downtown 24/7. Team Expectation: This team isn’t in rebuilding mode: they’re in win NOW mode, that much is abundantly clear from watching summer practices in Fairfax. There is a level of expectation surrounding this program that I have not witnessed in quite some time. New coaches? The vast majority of the coaching staff is brand new to Mason. It all starts with Head Coach Kim English, who is attempting to lead an unprecedented turnaround in Fairfax.

Coach English brings in a strong supporting cast of coaches, including Dennis Felton who most recently served as assistant coach at Fordham. Nate Tomlinson comes to Mason from Colorado, where he served as a fellow assistant alongside Kim English two seasons ago in Boulder. Duane Simpkins is the lone returner to the coaching staff from the Dave Paulsen era at Mason. Overall outlook on the team, maybe a record prediction overall and conference? This roster is stacked with dudes which one has not been able to say of the Patriots in recent memory. We’re going to find out a lot about this team very early on, as Mason has non-conference games against Maryland, Washington, Nevada, South Dakota State, and Georgia.

Furthermore, George Mason will jump right into conference play with their opening game on the road at vcu. A key early stretch of games in January includes Richmond, Dayton, St. Bonaventure and Saint Louis, with the three latter contests being at home. If George Mason is going to be a legitimate contender in the Atlantic 10 this season, we’re going to find out very early on.

Conference Record Prediction: 13-5

-Daniel Frank, A10 Talk George Mason Contributor
lol it was written by the three worst A-10 talk contributors including our Mason/GW fanboy Daniel Frank who believed Louisville women would beat the men last year and also had GW top 5 last year.... I will wait until people who know what they are talking about jump in with predictions... we could very well start conference play 1-6 and then win out so 13-5 seems to be a bit of crazy talk

Fordham also getting 6 wins in this article LMAO throw it away

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
lol it was written by the three worst A-10 talk contributors including our Mason/GW fanboy Daniel Frank who believed Louisville women would beat the men last year and also had GW top 5 last year.... I will wait until people who know what they are talking about jump in with predictions... we could very well start conference play 1-6 and then win out so 13-5 seems to be a bit of crazy talk

If we lose to St. Joes, GW, and Duquesne in our first 6 we're in deep trouble. More likely to come out of that 3-3 (4-2 if vcu turns out to be rudderless), and then drop the next 3 of 4.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we lose to St. Joes, GW, and Duquesne in our first 6 we're in deep trouble. More likely to come out of that 3-3 (4-2 if vcu turns out to be rudderless), and then drop the next 3 of 4.
I am not sure what schedule I was looking at... I thought we started off with the teams Daniel wrote about (Dayton, Bona, Richmond, St Louis)... oversight on my part

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I am not sure what schedule I was looking at... I thought we started off with the teams Daniel wrote about (Dayton, Bona, Richmond, St Louis)... oversight on my part

I totally agree that that article is unrealistic, though. 13-5 is crazy talk at this point until we see the players actually competing on the court. Hopefully we're all pleasantly surprised by how it all fits together, but new coach, new schemes, and a lot of new players? Says bumpy road (at least at the beginning).

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
So we now know we're going to be somewhere between 18-0 and 0-18. First, worst, or somewhere in-between. LOL. Gotta love the offseason and preseason prognostications. I have to admit that while I hope for improvement from Oduro I don't see him as being a POY candidate. Surprise me Josh!!!!

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Some Schwartz highlights in this package when Colorado beat what will become a top 5 Dayton team. He hits the buzzer beater to beat them. He's number 5.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYCyzyg601w

Here is a Schwartz highlights package from the 19-20 season where you'll see more of his game (and less of the situations).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpCzTLSBouA
I like Schwartz ability to knock down the three. But I love his ability to create his own shot.

I saw a couple comments about people saying he will make up for losing Miller. I expect that to be true, but Miller was a force around the glass. Offensive rebound machine.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen led teams always seemed to struggle early in the season. Perhaps, KE will have them better prepared day 1

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Some Schwartz highlights in this package when Colorado beat what will become a top 5 Dayton team. He hits the buzzer beater to beat them. He's number 5.

I like Schwartz ability to knock down the three. But I love his ability to create his own shot.

I saw a couple comments about people saying he will make up for losing Miller. I expect that to be true, but Miller was a force around the glass. Offensive rebound machine.
Overall agree - Schwartz does have the size and physicality to get into the paint and make a shot - also having someone of that size and strength able to kill threes makes me think of last second three point daggers to beat vcu. I am very excited about this young man.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Hey man - I am just posting what comes up on the web. It was news that had not been posted. Not saying its worth anything. ;)

He15man

Starter
13-5 is WAY optimistic. A turnaround that significant would make English a lock for A10 Coach of the Year; I just don't see us being THAT good in Year 1 of the KE era.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

It’s a lot easier to be a force in the offensive glass when we were brick city from deep. Long shots make long rebounds. His positioning was top notch though.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My prediction of league placement:

bonaventure
Richmond
Slu
Dayton
Davidson
vcu
Mason
Umass
Rhode Island
Duquense
Lasalle
Gw
Fordham (my hot take they get 13th)
Joes

tell me why my predictions suck and share yours

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

bonaventure
Richmond
Slu
Dayton
Davidson
vcu
Mason
Umass
Rhode Island
Duquense
Lasalle
Gw
Joes

Without knowing all I want about each team here you go

Bona
Richmond
SLU
Dayton
Rhode Island (surprise pick)
vcu
Davidson
Mason
Lasalle
UMASS
Duquesne
GW
Joes
Fordham

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

bonaventure
Richmond
Slu
Dayton
Davidson
vcu
Mason
Umass
Rhode Island
Duquense
Lasalle
Gw
Joes

With ALL of the transfers across the college ranks I'm going to wait until March ;) to give you my picks. It's a total crapshoot this year in every league. I will say that your top two look solid and reasonable.