Goodbye Tyler Kolek

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It is just that Paulsen is recruiting at such a high level now that the new guys are so much better than the old guys. Right? o_O
How we have been able to have 3 A10 most improved players while also seeing some of the regression we’ve seen all in the same time period is one of the most mind boggling things to me.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How we have been able to have 3 A10 most improved players while also seeing some of the regression we’ve seen all in the same time period is one of the most mind boggling things to me.
That reminds me of my high school typing class. Before the second day of typing class I dislocated a finger on my right hand and I had to have it wrapped up for several weeks. My initial typing speed was close to zero words per minute. By the end of the semester, my finger was better and I was able to type at an average speed. Since my starting point was so bad, I was awarded the most improved award...

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It is just that Paulsen is recruiting at such a high level now that the new guys are so much better than the old guys. Right? o_O
it's just super weird that Paulsen recruits "his type of player" but none of them can play a lick of defense and most are severely inept offensively as well. I would rather have a really good defense with a shit offense than having both a shit offense and defense. Jamal and XJ cannot stay in front of their men at all. And I am talking D2 Queens University guards, Belmont guards and freaking VMI guards so far... I don't even want to think about Crutcher at Dayton, Gilyard and Francis at Richmond or even Bishop at GW.

Herndon

All-Conference
That reminds me of my high school typing class. Before the second day of typing class I dislocated a finger on my right hand and I had to have it wrapped up for several weeks. My initial typing speed was close to zero words per minute. By the end of the semester, my finger was better and I was able to type at an average speed. Since my starting point was so bad, I was awarded the most improved award...

That's fine, but I'd say that AJ has clearly reached an above-average typing speed.

With his game, though, I will admit to wondering, deep down, whether he's just on a really long hot streak, and will regress, LOL. Such is nature of feast or famine players (and my unwillingness to admit how badly I misjudged AJ's potential)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Sure, but you are also talking about Justin Kier, AJ Wilson, and Marquise Moore who won those awards...

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sure, but you are also talking about Justin Kier, AJ Wilson, and Marquise Moore who won those awards...
I think you guys are interpreting my post as saying AJ isn't good. To the contrary, he is a freakishly good athlete, that at some times makes a big difference in the game (sometimes not so much). My only point is that a "most improved" award doesn't necessarily mean you are one of the best players in the league. It could just mean you didn't look very good to start out.

Herndon

All-Conference
I think you guys are interpreting my post as saying AJ isn't good. To the contrary, he is a freakishly good athlete, that at some times makes a big difference in the game (sometimes not so much). My only point is that a "most improved" award doesn't necessarily mean you are one of the best players in the league. It could just mean you didn't look very good to start out.
For sure. In these instances, though, I'd say the players in question DID end up as some of the better players in the league. Still, your point stands.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In addition to his great shooting, I'm pleasantly surprised at Kolek's ball-handling ability. When all suspended players return, I wouldn't mind seeing this lineup together on the floor at times: Kolek, Greene, Miller, Wilson, Oduro

If we want to go smaller, we could remove Oduro for Johnson/Hartwell/Polite.

Herndon

All-Conference
In addition to his great shooting, I'm pleasantly surprised at Kolek's ball-handling ability. When all suspended players return, I wouldn't mind seeing this lineup together on the floor at times: Kolek, Greene, Miller, Wilson, Oduro

If we want to go smaller, we could remove Oduro for Johnson/Hartwell/Polite.

You know, he's shooting like 33% from 3. I don't think we can call his shooting GREAT yet.

I do like your lineups, though.

I'm not as down on XJ as some others here are. I think he's going to end up being a very nice piece.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You know, he's shooting like 33% from 3. I don't think we can call his shooting GREAT yet.

I do like your lineups, though.

I'm not as down on XJ as some others here are. I think he's going to end up being a very nice piece.
Watch his on and off ball defense today please. I don’t know if Towson has a good guard or not but he’s constantly lost. He also seems to be limping like 60% of the time so maybe that’s why

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You know, he's shooting like 33% from 3. I don't think we can call his shooting GREAT yet

No, but I can tell a great stroke when I see it. He's definitely rushed some shots early on that will drop as the season goes on. He's not far off from being the 38% shooter Lamar Butler was his freshman year.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No, but I can tell a great stroke when I see it. He's definitely rushed some shots early on that will drop as the season goes on. He's not far off from being the 38% shooter Lamar Butler was his freshman year.
Only 5 percentage points. ;)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Small sample size so far for Kolek, too, though...big fluctuations can happen when you've only taken 25 shots. For instance, if he goes 3-4 tonight against Towson, he'll jump to 37.9%...if he goes 0-3 he'll be at 28.5%.

And so ends today’s Math 101 lecture by Professor Gemini :D

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Won’t be surprised to see Kolek transfer, whether DP gets the boot or not. The kid can play ... why would he stay and keep losing at Mason?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Won’t be surprised to see Kolek transfer, whether DP gets the boot or not. The kid can play ... why would he stay and keep losing at Mason?

Our only dog with skill.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Sad that we are reduced to celebrating meaningless individual accomplishments but good for Tyler.

FAIRFAX, Va. -
George Mason University men's basketball freshman guard Tyler Kolek has been named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week, the league office announced Monday.

Kolek averaged 12.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.3 steals and 33.4 minutes per game in a strong all-around week for the Cumberland, R.I. product.

He also made 3.3 3-point field goals per game and shot 35.7 percent from deep.

Kolek's best game came Saturday vs. Norfolk State, when he poured in career bests in points (19), 3-point field goals made (5) and rebounds (5) while dishing out four assists.

This season, Kolek leads the team in 3-point field goals made (15) and assists (15) and is second in steals (8). He is fourth on the team in scoring with 9.8 points/contest.

Kolek and the Patriots return to action on Wednesday when they open Atlantic 10 play at UMass. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.